Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:57:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Amazing Montreal Indie Scene Meetup Extravaganza
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The Amazing Montreal Indie Scene Meetup Extravaganza  (Read 13415 times)
nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2010, 05:59:35 PM »

Montreal's always been known as something of a hot spot for the larger game companies. It's about time we have an indie scene to match.

To that end, user Six (of Glorious Trainwrecks) and I would like to start having regular meetings to bring together some of our local indies: coders, artists, musicians, anyone interested in the creation and discussion of indie games. The idea is to have demo nights, brainstorming, feedback, and basically just be inspired by our fellow indie geeks. And possibly round it off with a cold mug of ale.

We're planning to hold our first meeting in two a few weeks' time, at l'Amère à Boire, on Tuesday May 25th Wednesday, June 2nd, at 7pm. This first gathering will be rather informal, just to gauge interest and discuss ideas and timing for future events.

If you'd like to swing on by, drop us a line!

À bientot!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 06:09:29 PM by newton64 » Logged

8-Bit Personality, 16-Bit Looks
http://nicknicknicknick.net
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

absolutely.

Ntero
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »

I just moved to Montreal for a job, and am crazy interested in this.

I miss Ottawa where we just started forming Dirty Rectangleswww.dirty-rectangles.com.  I'd be interested definitly.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:26:28 PM »

me and renowned pixel artist FrankieSmileShow will be there, suddenly your little event just got big
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »

Yea ill totally be there!
I'll also bring my undercover superstar friend here mr. the king of monsters, pictured above posting about coming to the meetup.

Six
Level 0

bumblin' bones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

Awesome!

Looks like we have to push back the date to the 2nd of June, unfortunately. Otherwise, same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel.

Ntero, I hadn't heard of Dirty Rectangles before -- looks cool! It'd be awesome to get a regular jam going here too, eventually.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:02:25 PM by Six » Logged
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:28:24 PM »

june 2nd!!!? that is very far away!! i'll do my best to be there but the possibilities have gone down, how long do you think you'll be there? I have a job at La Ronde of all places so at least it wouldn't be too long to get there after work!
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 01:02:50 PM »

haha.
i worked at la ronde one summer.
at subways.

best job ever.
like a teenage movie it was.

The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »

Phil Fish i am walking in your footsteps... (except i'm not gonna work at a subway instead i will probably do cool stuff like clean toilets!!!!!!!!!! ok not just that thankfully)
Ntero
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:28:55 PM »

Awesome!

Looks like we have to push back the date to the 2nd of June, unfortunately. Otherwise, same Bat-Time, same Bat-Channel.

Ntero, I hadn't heard of Dirty Rectangles before -- looks cool! It'd be awesome to get a regular jam going here too, eventually.

Yeah, it's pretty new, and we've been so busy making sure the events happen we've not really gotten around to getting much attention out about it.  We basically just decided that if the 4 of us kept planning events others would participate, and it started happening.

It's super fun though.  And it'd be badass to know something like it in Montreal.
nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 03:54:31 AM »

Huzzah! We now have a Facebook event set up for the occasion. Attend early...attend often!

The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »

i have confirmed my facebook presence (i am the good looking one and by good looking i mean the one who looks like a hobo (haha it is a joke we are indie game makers we all look like hobos))
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:14:23 PM by The Monster King » Logged
Six
Level 0

bumblin' bones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 10:13:43 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty new, and we've been so busy making sure the events happen we've not really gotten around to getting much attention out about it.  We basically just decided that if the 4 of us kept planning events others would participate, and it started happening.

It's super fun though.  And it'd be badass to know something like it in Montreal.
For sure! Let's talk about it at the meet.

i have confirmed my facebook presence (i am the good looking one and by good looking i mean the one who looks like a hobo (haha it is a joke we are indie game makers we all look like hobos))
OHSHI-

Hey M. Roi-des-Monstres, you should bring your TOJam game too! It was hilarious.
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 10:02:44 AM »

i definitely will!

i keep forgetting to fix the damn thing but i have to for this week don't i

it'll take an afternoon

it should be even better

who are you by the way
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »

can anyone post the event details here?
because i am always ahead of the avant-garde, i have deleted my facebook account.

The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »

too many fish stalkers huh

Date:    
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Time:    
7:00pm - 10:00pm
Street:    
2049, rue Saint-Denis
City/Town:    
Montreal, QC

It's time for Montreal's independent games community to come together! Join us for an evening of demos of upcoming games by local indie developers -- not to mention inspiration, brainstorming, and maybe even a beer or two.

Musicians, artists, designers, coders, and aspiring game-makers of all feathers are welcome!

The inaugural meetup will feature a demonstration by No Fun Games (Pax Brittanica, Norwegian Wood) of their latest, Tea Time Quarrel -- a freewheeling multiplayer game of majority rulemaking, gentlemanly dispute resolution, and gross mistreatment of ungulates. Awesome!

This event has 20 confirmed guests (twenty! will we even fit!!?)

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 09:14:46 PM »

fanks

nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 05:00:45 AM »

Reminder time!

We're looking forward to meeting, discussing, and raising a glass with you all tomorrow night! This first meetup may be fairly informal, but shouldn't lack in inspiration, comradery, and at least one gentlemanly game demo.

Once again, those details are...

Where: Amère à Boire brewpub, 2049 St.-Denis (just below Sherbrooke). We'll be on the very top floor, where we have a reservation for teeming masses.

What: See above.

When: 7pm (7:30 in Newfoundland)

À demain!

sugarbeard
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 11:47:04 AM »

If only I can find a cheap way out of Ottawa... I really want to come check this out. I'm counting on Ntero to show up and fill me in.

Ottawa and Montreal needs more cross community awesomeness. We're so close it's such a shame not to take advantage of that!

nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 06:17:15 AM »

Tonight's the night! See you all there!   Beer!

And sugarbeard, you can rest assured that collaborations will happen.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic