Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:49:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsClaustrophilia Released!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Claustrophilia Released!  (Read 19017 times)
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2010, 05:48:58 AM »

Claustrophilia is done! Wizard

Claustrophilia is a game about surviving in a room determined on squashing you to death. Use your running, jumping and rolling skills to dodge the never-ending effort of the blocks to hug you. Use your slow motion powers to increase your accuracy and postpone your imminent death. You will die a lot but don't worry, revival is instant. The only punishment is that you've again failed to increase your highscore.

Claustrophilia features up to 6 (secretly 7) different obtainable game modes and a vast array of unlockable characters. There's a multiplayer mode that allows local 2 player matches, to test your skills against a friend. And to top it all, there's confetti! Loads of it!

Thanks for all you guys feedback and support! Gentleman
Hope you like it. Smiley

Cheers,

Maxim

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:39:49 AM by Maxim Schoemaker » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:59:18 AM »

i love the idea but platforming doesn't feel smooth (my framerate is oscilatting near 20fps), maybe you could optimize it somehow?
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:23:19 AM »

See if it works better with the particles turned off, I just put an option in there to do that :D

pgil
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »

I get a framerate around 30 fps, but after a few second everything just stops. Firefox doesn't crash or anything, and if I refresh the page the game starts again just fine.  Weird. Never mind... I should read before I post  Embarrassed
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »

I get a framerate around 30 fps, but after a few second everything just stops. Firefox doesn't crash or anything, and if I refresh the page the game starts again just fine.  Weird. Never mind... I should read before I post  Embarrassed

Did you by any chance pause the game? xD
30 seconds means real seconds, so if you play it at a framespeed of 30 the game will be over really soon, at a framespeed of 50 it's a lot more logical, I'll just put the counter back on frameseconds in stead of real seconds.

More importantly, is your framespeed okay? It should be around 50...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:05:24 AM by Igorness » Logged

ortoslon
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »

25fps without particles on my PC
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »

It's pretty cool, but the game feels really awkward and fast, so it's really really hard to aim myself anywhere.
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »

It's pretty cool, but the game feels really awkward and fast, so it's really really hard to aim myself anywhere.

Would you say it is too fast? (btw, what would your average fps be?)

Yshaana
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 10:11:44 AM »

I enjoyed this.
I would suggest letting users use space as the jump button, as well as up (I like using both hands.)
You should also add some kind of effect or wall on the sides of the screen to warn players not to go out of the bounds (up top comes to mind).

Apart from that good job and keep up the good work!

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »

25fps without particles on my PC

Damn, that still sucks. I put a preloader in there now, maybe it helps a bit, but I kinda doubt that...

I enjoyed this.
I would suggest letting users use space as the jump button, as well as up (I like using both hands.)
You should also add some kind of effect or wall on the sides of the screen to warn players not to go out of the bounds (up top comes to mind).

Apart from that good job and keep up the good work!

Thanks for the feedback. I have already set something up so you can choose your own controls, but it's not in the alpha beta gamma thingy (I should really find a name for it).
And there is no problem with going out of the screen, cause there's walls (you just can't see them) but I agree there should be something graphical to show there are walls...

Edit: you can now choose your own controls (restarting the level with space is not possible anymore, it was useless anyways xD)

=^,^=

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:45:56 AM by Igorness » Logged

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 01:04:16 PM »

Would you say it is too fast? (btw, what would your average fps be?)

A bit, I guess. I get 50 fps average.

Mostly the issue is the character movement, it feels like I can't respond accurately.

A duck function to reduce your height would be nice, too, even if it's usefulness is minimal.
BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 01:46:23 PM »

I like the game it is fun trying not to get crushed!

Flash fps seems to vary sometimes.. whether it's domain, no. of broswer tabs open or no. of apps open on your OS.

I'd like to hear a definitive explanation of Flash framerate issues sometime.

Great game so far.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 07:14:55 PM by PlayOrDie » Logged
Mincus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »

Interesting game and surprisingly addictive for such a simple concept.
As mentioned, a duck function might add something.
Perhaps collectibles of some sort could be added instead of just "survive for x seconds".

As to Flash, the problem is the technology is bad at it's core, that is the plugin.
That isn't to say it can't be used for some excellent games (it can and has been), but it's badly optimised and uses a lot more CPU power than it should.
It's bad on Windows, it's worse on OS X (so I've heard) and Linux (as I've experienced).
Shame, because it could be capable of so much more.
Hopefully this will change with the push to get Flash on Android, assuming the acceleration passes over to other platforms (we can but hope Wink).

Anyway, getting 45-50fps with particles on using my laptop (2.2GHz Core 2, Geforce 8600M GT, Win7).

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback! :D

What Mincus said is totally true, flash is cool, but actually really lame. It's a ability to be played online is awesome, making your game really easily distributed and known very quickly, but it is not good for complicated/heavy stuff.
What the thing is with all the squares is that (obviously) they all have to be moved every second (well...not if they're moving, but theoretically speaking) they also need to check if they 'push' you character, and the worst part is that the graphics of all the blocks need to be placed on the place where the square actually is after 1 frame and so does it's collision MC for the other squares and it's collision MC for the character(s) (which can differ, cause of special block's that I'll introduce later).

What I could still be looking at is seeing if after all the collision has been checked and all the stuff is done, I could remove all the collision MC's so flash wouldn't have to draw them, but I'd need put them back in again every frame... I'll see how this works...

Also, as multiple people said, ducking could be a nice possibility, but unless I've made my mind up if it's really that great I wont start on it, cause it'll (probably) one hell of a programming madness... But I'll look into it ^^

And Mincus, you mentioned collectibles, those'll definitely be in there :D every theme will have it's own game mechanic thingy and probably level 3 will have collectibles! =D

Cheers everyone! =D

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »

This is awesome and fun :D

~ I see that you have a section for "Levels" but might I suggest you don't make levels at all? Somehow this game just doesn't really seem suited for it.

I don't know if I'm alone here, but I guess I'd much rather see a single continuous challenge (possibly with more elements introduced as you survive longer).

That said, I have no idea what you're doing with levels and such or how it'll work and maybe nobody else is on the same wavelength as I am ^^

Also, I just ran into some kind of pause bug like someone else. The game doesn't move unless I press P, at which point it advances a single frame. It's really weird.
---> and then it fixed itself o_o but it was definitely doing something weird and wrong for a while there.

//

My best is 53, yay!
Also, I think the 'fastness' people are talking about is mostly related to how fast the character jumps and -- more importantly -- falls.

GLITCH, EASY TO REPRODUCE: THE GAME GOES INTO GLITCHY PAUSED MODE (one frame every time you press P) WHEN THE TIMER (third number from the left; I assume that's what it is) IS AT EXACTLY 30. THIS STATE GOES AWAY ONCE YOU'VE SPAMMED 'P' ENOUGH TO GET TO 31. I DON'T KNOW IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN AT 60.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:46:57 PM by Droqen » Logged

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »

Also, I think the 'fastness' people are talking about is mostly related to how fast the character jumps and -- more importantly -- falls.

Droqen's right, I think. Though it helps a bit to be able to use the space bar to jump. Making the whole thing a little slower in general could be good- it would amplify the sense of impending doom when you make a mistake.
Shiny_Toad
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 01:51:27 PM »

Thank you very much Drogen, for the feedback! (I make the graphics for this game).

We at first intended to make levels, in a platformer kind of way. However, we decided that just like you said it wasn't really a platform-game, but more a fun multiplayer...challenge..thing. So we decided to remove levels. Then we thought 'Lets make different challenges', and I think that's why there is still a Level section.

There will probably be a few modes, both single and multi player challenges. For instance
Survival (survive for X amount of time)
Coin Collector (SP: Collect X amount of coins, MP: Collect X amount of coins TOGETHER -- teamwork)
Coin Battle (MP Only: Collect more coins then your opponent)
Horrible Challenge (Continuous stream of different challenges. After you finished the first, the next comes).
Those are not yet official, and there will probably be more different ones later on.

As for the bug you mentioned-- It is supposed to stop at 30, because then you have beaten a challenge (to see if it works). Excuse us for the unclarity.

"Also, I just ran into some kind of pause bug like someone else. The game doesn't move unless I press P, at which point it advances a single frame. It's really weird."
Is that at the start of the game or at the 30 second counter? If it is at the start of the game, Igorness will fix that. If it is at the 30 second counter, well, see above Smiley

New theme and character coming soon!

<3
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »

exactly! the 'glitch' at 30 seconds is because then the level is 'over'. But I'll take it out so you get to play endlessly, see who gets the highest score =D

And thanks again for your feedback, Kikaru and Droqen (btw, Fishbane = Awesome)

=^,^=

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 07:37:12 AM »

I'm really sorry for the double post, but I think I've optimized the game in a way that it'll actually help! By throwing away a lot of crap I've made it harder for myself to implement new stuff, but I think I've also made the game now playable for people without Super computers! So, at the price of only some discomfort for myself I've probably quadrupled our target audience! Yay! ^^

Ow, and I've also removed the 30 seconds cap for the level making it endlessly playable, see how many seconds you can survive! :D

Cheers,

Maxim

Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2010, 06:24:28 AM »

Allright, this time I got to optimize it in such a way that it's actually effective. All the time I thought it was so heavy cause of the crappy coding, but it turns out it wasn't at all. The problem, in fact, was that the graphics (the pixel art) was turned into vector stuff, so it could be used in the game. But flash can't handle lots of vectors (obviously) so it just made everything lag like hell. Now we got the picture to be .gif's with transparent backgrounds, and it works a LOT better! =D

Also, cause it has been a while since an update, there is now a level 2 for you guys (and galls)! :D
It's Egyptian themed and you're a cat! =^,^=
The objective in this level is too get as many squares to move withouth dying, cause that resets the counter.

We've decided to make all the modes like this. You get something to do which you can do endlessly and dying makes your score go back to zero =D

Also we've decided to not include special blocks, cause they just made everything slow and weird.

And, we've decided to only do 4 levels (single player) and some multiplayer levels, cause we can't think of a good 5th game objective nor theme.

That was it for now, good luck playing, tell me your highscores and fps's! ^^

Cheers,

Maxim

Ps. sorry for the triple post...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 06:34:23 AM by Igorness » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic