Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:16:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallInvader Attack, physics based, top view, 3d shoot them up for Windows
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Invader Attack, physics based, top view, 3d shoot them up for Windows  (Read 20292 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 04:51:02 AM »

Dude seriously you need to chill and stop treating everyone as adversary. You're in serious danger of becoming the next Adam Coate. You don't have to listen to the C+C's that you get, but please don't react in a hostile manner when you do get some. The comments people left you were made with the best of intentions, but your reaction to them has turned people against you and only hurt your cause. I doubt people will be as willing to help you out in the future if this is going to be your attitude.

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 05:17:23 AM »

I'm not being hostile I laughed, it was funny. Now, please do tell why should I remove awards? I heard only your suggestions to remove the awards, without actually any meaningful reason? And this time please try to make sense.

Be smart, be brutal, they're invading!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »

I will not tell you why you should do anything, and I will not offer you any more advice either. You aren't interested in it. It would be like banging my head against a brick wall.

codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »

Who's immature now?  Durr...?

ghostwheel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »

I don't know why you are going on about "competition." Now you are making me sorry I defended you. These people aren't your competition, they are your peers. You need to get a grip.

I Dream of Ghosts devlogs: Official and Tigsource. Finished game: Super Brick Bros 2: A Machine for Bricks TURBO!
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 12:26:52 PM »

I just ask about details, I can't really take any suggestion seriously without the actual reason. If the reason makes sense I'd thank for a constructive criticism, but to just say "do that / do this", is more than immature.

What would you do if someone told you to erase the singing parts from your songs? Would you just do that or ask questions? I'd bet you'd ask questions, because that's what comes natural. I bet you'd ask why they told you to erase your voice? But these guys above they would label you as someone who's not taking "negative constructive criticism" well, they would label you, they would say you're immature.

So, just to add a couple of "immature" questions, I got:

1. Why do you want me to remove awards my game received?
2. Why is the design of my site amateurish?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 12:30:58 PM by codergames » Logged

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »

To put it simply, the awards don't actually award you the things you want from a game award. They don't actually award the game about the gameplay. Awarding things like "It plays in Windows 7" or "It plays in 64-bit systems" is like giving an award to a car "It can move from point A to point B". They don't influence the potential customer to buy nor do they really influence the potential customer to download either.

The flow of the site is a bit weird. It doesn't really go from left to right and down which is what most people expect. Most people who view websites want to get the information they want within 10 seconds. Having to click through three links just to find out about your game (the page with screen shots and a trailer) is a little cumbersome and unnecessary.

While you have friendly URL's the URL's are far too long. You don't really need that many subcategories yet. The point of a friendly URL is to keep it really short and simple so that people can remember them easily. Either that or take a stab at the URL if they forget.

As I stated before, no one cares your website is W3C compliant. All they care about is whether or not it renders properly on the screen. If it does, then people assume your site is compliant.

No one cares about your traffic count either.

These two particular aspects (W3C compliance and traffic count) were really popular about five to ten years ago where every website was doing it. Hardly anyone does it not, because it was deemed pointless.

I wouldn't say the design of the website is anything spectacular (since it is literally a single page document), because it's not really a design to shoot home about. There's no colours, nothing really that memorable about it. Even a boring company (like the Health and Disability Commissioner's website [http://www.hdc.org.nz/]) has a more interesting design than yours. But there's nothing wrong with a simple site like that.

Take this information any way you want.

But I keep talking about the website. I'd much prefer to give you some feedback about your game. Can you please patch it so that it works on my laptop?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:00:38 PM by Snakey » Logged

I like turtles.
SoftBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 03:18:24 PM »

These are the questions that everybody have been answering, so you'll notice me saying the same thing a lot of these guys have said before.

Regarding no. 1:
Honestly, when I saw said reward banners the first thing that popped into my mind was, "Why isn't ad-block working?!" Seeing the awards didn't in any way make me want to download the game more than I already wanted to. In fact, it had the opposite effect. They feel like ads. As some of the guys have mentioned, it's not that hard to get 5 stars at some of these sites. They like to give you these 5 stars to put a link to them on your site, or so I believe. (Probably not all of the sites)

Regarding no. 2:
As everyone here has mentioned, you are greeted by a wall of text, on a game site. How many people do you think actually read that wall? It kinda makes me think of a quote from my coarse on HCI which basically says that web designers seem to design their pages as if it were great literature when it's actually more like a billboard you read while going 60 miles an hour. People are lazy beings. When I'm looking for new games to try out it's nice to just load a site, see a few screenshots, short descriptions and a download link. Having to search three pages deep for info on the game isn't fun. I've been busy reading and thinking the whole day, I want some multimedia entertainment, not more reading. See what I'm getting at? (Again, maybe it's just me, but I doubt it)

The text wall goes on about you and your history in gaming and I doubt many people who go to the site actually care (yes, people are horrid beings). Fact is, people would rather learn about you after they've seen what you've done. I think the question is, is your site about you, or about your games? If not put a game on the front page, you can at least put your news at the top, right? If I were to visit your site often to check for any new news, I'd have to scroll down past that static wall of text. (Again, people are lazy - but why make your homepage look static?). Also, I noticed those "Vote Top 100" banners in the middle of the page. I found them to be pretty annoying. They just seem like ad-banners, as does the rewards.

Also, I don't recall anyone ever saying "do this" or "do that". We've all mentioned what we believe could use improving. If you don't want to take the advice, don't, but don't start "attacking" others for pointing these things out.

As for the game, I have yet to try it, since I was more in the mood to use my time to reply. Had a quick look at the video, after eventually finding it, and the game looks good. I have seen better games from people here which are free, but nothing wrong with trying to make a buck after working hard on something.

Disclaimer:
I've never published a site in my life, so I guess there is no need to take me seriously. This is speaking from what I've been taught in coarses on good design, and having gone through thousands of web pages throughout my web-crawling life.
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2010, 12:21:38 AM »

Believe it or not, search engines do read pages. Since the most of visitors of my site say how its impressive, I won't do much changes to the design at this point, maybe next year. I worked as a web designer for many years, and I'm still working as a web developer, mainly CakePHP, ZF, CodeIgniter, AJAX (usually jQuery), etc. I don't know, people like my work, I made a fair share of money.

I do thank you for suggestions, you've really put your max writing a wall of info that's even bigger than my wall, you mentioned. Hope that search engines will find what you wrote here as relevant as they've found my wall. Cheers!  Beer!

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 05:16:29 AM »

Alright. I won't bother talking about the website anymore.

So how about a working copy of your game so that it works on my laptop?

I like turtles.
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »

No no, please talk some more about my website, I'm making notes ... no, just kidding Smiley

My game's not for you, trust me.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2010, 10:50:44 AM »

So after all that talk about how proud you are of your game's compatibility with all of those platforms, and all of the "awards" you've gotten for this... you're not going to bother fixing the one problem mentioned about your actual game, namely, a compatibility problem? Cheesy

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
codergames
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »

I got awards for compatibility not awards for listening to trolls  Cheesy

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2010, 02:08:48 PM »

Dude, that's why they're saying those awards are useless! Your game doesn't even work for half of us - those compatibility awards don't mean shit!

The way you've managed to combine ignorance and arrogance is truly amazing. It isn't often that someone manages to pull that off for as long as you have and still have people try to reason with them. Hat's off to ya!  Gentleman

On a more serious note, though, you've basically come in here advertising a game, which you're lucky you weren't banned for in the first place. Usually people who do that are trolled, but amazingly enough you were just given criticism. You said you're ok with criticism, but I think you've mistaken "constructive criticism" with "asskissing," as you seem to reply to any of it with claims that people simply don't understand how much of a genius you are. On top of that, the claims about people wanting to weed out the competition are pretty damn silly. If you actually took the time to look at any other thread in here you could easily see that all of these claims are unfounded. Maybe the criticism has been harsher than it should've been, but with your attitude, you're basically asking for it; I'm actually pretty surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet / you haven't been banned. Finally, if you really think that they're trolling... man, you have no idea.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »

Codergames, you've received plenty of constructive, well-informed criticism here, and you've been acting extremely childishly to it. Not one person here is trolling you.

As it seems obvious you're not about to understand how ridiculous your behaviour is being, I will lock this thread. Perhaps you should seek another website to advertise your game. I'm sure there are other places out there that will be more receptive to your style of design.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic