Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:12:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: I Wanna Be The Stage
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: I Wanna Be The Stage  (Read 22406 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2010, 12:45:55 AM »

Stage from IWBTG.
A lot of people are talking about this in a bunch of different threads, so this thread is probably a good idea right now.

Left and right platforms are solid, middle is fall-through. We also could have a moving platforn in place of the middle platform, because there are moving platforms everywhere in IWBTG, and everyone will recognize them. Moving platform would be small, big enough for two characters to stand on, but small enough that any decent strength attack should knock someone off.
Due to the platforms being solid, under them are easy places to defend/camp, but if a trap is going to hit there, you half to be quick to get out safely.
Traps:
Occasonally an apple cherry Delicious fruit or a spike fly across the screen. I think there should be a approximatly 1:1 ratio of spike/apple to unique traps.

Spike Corridor:

From the Ghosts and goblins area. Very memorable (read: annoying) part of the game. Would appear under side platforms. Would be small enough gap that it is completly impassible, unlike in IWBTG. (This trap is part of why I thought of the idea of the platforms being solid.)

Rolling spikes:

From the whole Kirby section (just after the Tetris screen). Also very "Memorable" for anyone that got there. I can get there from the start in one life, so it's not that far, but it's well hidden. Would roll once across the bottom of the stage, either direction.

The Moon: From just after Mike Tyson, and just before Birdo. Would fall on and temporarily destroy the left or right platform. The platform would reappear similarly to the platforms in the room just below the starting room. A possible warning for this trap (haveing the moon peek out of the top of the screen would look stupid) could be the moon rising in the backround. Due to Kayin saying this was one of his few original sprites we have to use it somehow, even if it's just in the background.

Spike platform: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63XrZtwcg4#t=0m15s
From the second room in the Tyson area, the one with the rising/falling clouds. It would fall on either side, then move back up and lift people up with it, killing them if it lifts them off the screen.

Lightning bolt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63XrZtwcg4#t=0m40s
From various places, particularly 2 rooms before Tyson. We would need a cloud in the background, not sure where though. A lightning bolt would shoot down from the cloud, quicker than the speed of the spikes/fruit. A warning could be the clowd crakling with electricity.

I'm not sure what we could use for warning of the traps. Possibly the trap slightly appearing before doing something. (spike moves from off screen to just on the side of the screen, waits for a second then flies across the screen)
For all the trap descriptions I'm assuming you have played/seen most of the game and know what the traps do already. I will try to upload some picture of the traps later.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 02:28:13 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »

Sounds like an interesting stage, I like it.
Zelonod the evil pudding
Level 0

I'm tasty evil pudding

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 07:06:33 AM »

spikes flying to left and right:

i didn't know were the sun was, so i made the shadow under the spikes and the shine above.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:11:31 AM by Zelonod the evil pudding » Logged

I like pudding.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:35:06 AM »

spikes flying to left and right:

i didn't know were the sun was, so i made the shadow under the spikes and the shine above.
IWBTG spikes are much bigger and shorter than those but yours are cool  Smiley

EDIT:
Occasonally a cherry or a spike fly across the screen
i think it would be cool if The Kid appears runing randomly across the screen  and the cherries fall from the sky and the spikes appears from the sides of the screen chasing him. that way the players will have to stay away from the kid if they don't want to be murdered =)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:51:22 AM by -Frikman- » Logged

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Zelonod the evil pudding
Level 0

I'm tasty evil pudding

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »

its my best creation from 3. Grin

I like pudding.
rollman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:24:19 PM »

This stage should be filled with shitloads of random traps of all kind, and in the final release it should be an unlockable stage that you need to unlock in single player mode by defeating a boss in this stage, it would be pretty cool.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »

It would be better for the main stage to be a platform, rather than have the ground extend off the sides. That way, all the fun recovery and edge-guarding mechanics come into play.

Platforms 3 and 4 are solid, 5 is fall-through.
I don't like this idea, unless it is very important to the traps.

Occasonally an apple cherry Delicious fruit or a spike fly across the screen. I think there should be a approximatly 1:1 ratio of spike/apple to unique traps.
There should be a warning before they appear.

Spike Corridor:
You'll need to explain this for the people who haven't played through IWBTG.

The Moon: From just after Mike Tyson, and just before Birdo. Would fall on and temporarily destroy platform 3/4. The platform would reappear similarly to the platforms in the room just below the starting room. A possible warning for this trap (haveing the moon peek out of the top of the screen would look stupid) could be the moon rising in the backround. Due to Kayin saying this was one of his few original sprites we half to use it somehow, even if it's just in the background.
So the moon takes up the whole screen? Sounds like it would be too difficult to dodge.

Spike platform: From the second room in the Tyson area, the one with the rising/falling clouds. It would fall on either 3 or 4, then move back up and lift people up, killing them if it lifts them off the screen.
You'll need to describe this in more detail. Which side of the platform is spiked? Is the platform solid (which could cause glitches)?

I'm not sure what we could use for warning of the traps. Possibly the trap slightly appearing before doing something.
Flashing arrows and caution signs always work.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »

Flashing arrows and caution signs always work.

I think Frikman's suggestion was good.
Have The Kid running across the stage with danger following him.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:23:20 PM »

Yeah, that should work pretty well.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »

It would be better for the main stage to be a platform, rather than have the ground extend off the sides. That way, all the fun recovery and edge-guarding mechanics come into play.
The full ground was for the rolling spikes, but in IWBTG they come out of the ground, so a platform is a good idea.
Platforms 3 and 4 are solid, 5 is fall-through.
I don't like this idea, unless it is very important to the traps.
They are necessary for the spike corridor, and with the moon they won't be there sometimes. Average jumping characters should be able to reach the top platform with no others; lower than the second roof in lyle's stage.
Spike Corridor:
You'll need to explain this for the people who haven't played through IWBTG.

I'll edit that into the OP
The Moon: From just after Mike Tyson, and just before Birdo. Would fall on and temporarily destroy platform 3/4. The platform would reappear similarly to the platforms in the room just below the starting room. A possible warning for this trap (haveing the moon peek out of the top of the screen would look stupid) could be the moon rising in the backround. Due to Kayin saying this was one of his few original sprites we half to use it somehow, even if it's just in the background.
So the moon takes up the whole screen? Sounds like it would be too difficult to dodge.
It would be the size of 1 platform. I meant 3 or 4, not 3 and 4.
Spike platform: From the second room in the Tyson area, the one with the rising/falling clouds. It would fall on either 3 or 4, then move back up and lift people up, killing them if it lifts them off the screen.
You'll need to describe this in more detail. Which side of the platform is spiked? Is the platform solid (which could cause glitches)?
The bottom is spiked. I suppose it would be non-solid, but you can't drop through.

i think it would be cool if The Kid appears runing randomly across the screen  and the cherries fall from the sky and the spikes appears from the sides of the screen chasing him. that way the players will have to stay away from the kid if they don't want to be murdered =)
I think this would work really well. I think he would summon a few spikes/cherries, and 1 unique trap. Multiple unique would not work well together.

EDIT: Lightning wouldn't count as a unique trap, although it would be less common than apples/spikes.

I think I'm going to make a scale level and some lame trap graphics now, as that should probably help a lot.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:25:10 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 09:24:37 PM »

I suck at big graphics and got lazy near the end.
Maybe the stage should be a bit bigger.

I put enough room below the side platforms to justify them being solid.

EDIT: Moon example. This is so bad. I'm too ashamed to put more than a link.
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2402/sooooooobaaaad.gif
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:36:51 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
thewojnartist
Level 3

Lead Designer and Artist at WojWorks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »

?
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 11:04:57 AM »

I suck at big graphics and got lazy near the end.
common' man it's awesome. the only thing is that i don't like the current platform position. how about this?

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 02:52:25 PM »

The platforms need to be over the ground for the spike corridor.

Seeing Goodbye's pic, I think we could have the top platform as one big cloud that would occasionally move up and down. (Like just before the spike platform.)
Also the side platforms aren't in the right place in this pic because I copied an old pic.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 05:14:23 PM »

instead of having the giant cloud why not just having the spike platform? it can shake before falling and then it can go away for a while before returning to his original position. that way if we keep the little clouds they can make the lighting bolts instead of the giant cloud.
-suggestion about the points: there can be hidden spikes that just appears when characters are close to those points. that'll be anoying for wall grabbers Smiley

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »

The top platform should be jump-through, so it can't be the spike platform.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 05:46:59 PM »

I like the last mockup of the stage. The graphics really do need work, though, since the shading is incredibly inconsistent.

Also, there should be more space on the sides of the stage.

-suggestion about the points: there can be hidden spikes that just appears when characters are close to those points. that'll be anoying for wall grabbers Smiley
Completely disagree. There'd be no way to see that coming, and even for an IWBTG stage, it's a dick move.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »

The graphics is just something I was messing around with while looking at the game at the same time. They didn't look very good, so I gave up and just finished the mock-up.

Also, we don't really need clouds in the background as lightning could come from off screen, but if they looked different enough we could have background clouds and the platform.
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 07:47:58 PM »

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »

That is great!

I think 30 seconds is a bit long, as it stops most recovering on that side.

EDIT: Animated spike: (made at Gamemaker's default speed, so it's really slow)

Nothing special.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:20:09 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic