Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:43:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGTime Shark II: Medieval Shark Strike Force *COMPLETED*
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Time Shark II: Medieval Shark Strike Force *COMPLETED*  (Read 45599 times)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

It is the galactic year 23XX. The apprehension of the last of the Hitler clones has finally put an end to the devastating Hitler Wars which have ravaged the universe for the past two hundred years. The conflict has left civilization in shambles. The last remaining vestiges of the Galactic Federation have become the domain of petty warlords, squabbling over what little spacegold they can scrounge from the hulking wreckage of derelict spacecraft.

In a last ditch effort to save mankind, a group of the Federation's top scientists gather with one purpose in mind: to build a machine capable of altering past events, a machine capable of undoing Hitler's genetic code before the cloning process can even begin. Their target: the medieval German fiefdom of Hitlerheim, whose residents harbor the genetic blueprint for Hitler's devastating ambition.

Unfortunately, suspension in the Time Fluid for sufficient time to complete the journey would kill any ordinary human. If the mission is to be successful, the desperate scientists must recruit an agent who can not only survive the intense pressures and lack of air required of Time Fluid suspension, but also wreak havoc on the well-armed medieval stronghold of Hitlerheim without the aid of weapons and equipment.

Enter TIMESHARK*, elite agent of the Federation, and savior of the galaxy!

* Actually just a regular ol' shark sent back in time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:26:01 PM by I Like Cake » Logged

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:52:52 PM »

I'm already done about 25% of the background tiles, and I've sprited up the shark in standing and walking positions. The basic tile engine is up and running in SDL and loading maps from files.

Tomorrow I will do some basic spriting of enemies. I'm probably only going to have one (maybe two) kind(s) of enemy, but they will have lots of animations and some kind of neat AI including morale and such (because they are being attacked by a giant goddamn shark). I didn't want to make a post until I'd actually already done some work, because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get to it or not or how it would end up looking. I've never really done any visual art to speak of, but as it stands, I'm reasonably happy with how it looks.

It's a platformer with the basic game mechanic that you are extremely deadly swimming in and jumping out of water, but kind of clumsy and slow on land. Also, there will probably be helpful items, including a convincing disguise.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »

This is probably the funniest idea I've seen yet. Can't wait to play it :D

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »

I like the way that you add real science to plausible future realities to make a compelling yet action packed plotline.

Akatosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 01:40:57 PM »

Heh... good luck!
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 12:14:45 AM »

Now with screenshots!

Watch out, Hitlers! Here comes TIMESHARK!

TIMESHARK will eat you! And your friends!

TIMESHARK can leap incredible heights!

The Fuhrenator, a robot from TIMESHARK's original time! Has TIMESHARK met his match?

You cannot run... from TIMESHARK!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Zaphos
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:40:02 AM »

I find these graphics to be nostalgic and charming!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 12:55:15 AM »

That looks very interesting Shocked

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 12:58:19 AM »

Holy shit, that is fuckin' Jabberjaw, isn't it?!

But seriously, I'm very excited for this.  The second and third screenshots are just amazing.
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 01:00:39 AM »

Is there anything that can't be made better by the simple inclusion of more Hitlers?  (I did a double take, after I realized that Hitler wasn't in your random title anywhere, you just sorta... threw him in, so the shark would have someone to eat.)

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 09:05:01 AM »

I find these graphics to be nostalgic and charming!

Thanks! I've never really done art for anything before, but it didn't turn out to be quite as difficult as I thought. I worry perhaps the art style is a little inconsistent from sprite to sprite, as I kind of sharpened up my workflow while I was going through some of the earlier frames, but I think it ended up looking okay.

Now I frantically scramble to add more enemies and levels before Monday!

(Also, yeah, sharks eating people = bad, but sharks eating Hitler = good!)

Formerly "I Like Cake."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »

well from the point of view of the shark, shark eating people=good

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »

Yes!  This looks badass.  And your art looks superb considering it's your first time and we're all on a deadline.  I'd like to see what you could do given a little practice and no pressure from time constraints.

As for sharks eating people, they generally only eat morons who do stupid shit like get into the water with sharks, so sharks eating people = okay in my book.  You get what you ask for if you do any of the following:

- swim with sharks
- film a documentary about grizzlies
- tease a stingray
- engage in un-tiger like activities with a tiger
- fail to repay a debt to an ocelot

tweet tweet @j_younger
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 01:39:44 AM »

I love it... think this is the one I'm looking forward to most!

the_depraved
Level 1

Smile like a donut.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 06:21:41 PM »

everyone needs more sharks. and hitlers.

up down left right upper cut.
Corpus
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »

This looks awesome. I look forward to playing it :D
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 12:25:46 PM »

It's finally done!

Link to PC and OS X versions

Instructions:

Move: Arrow Keys or Gamepad.
Jump (on land): Spacebar or B button (if you had a SNES controller).
High Jump (in water): Spacebar or B button.
Long Jump (int water): Hold left or right and press the spacebar or the B button.
Bite: Left shift or Y Button (if you had a SNES controller).

P or Gamepad Start pause the game. Q quits the game at any time without prompting you (so don't press it unless you are done).

You have both a health meter and an oxygen meter. The latter will deplete slowly when you are out of water, so be careful not to asphyxiate and die.

If you can't figure out where to go, keep in mind that you can jump much higher or further out of water. Try leaping around randomly!

Now get out there and eat those Hitlers!

(Apologies to Nintendo).

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 12:33:53 PM »

Also, the PC version runs a little slowly for some reason.

I have no idea why and no time to figure it out, but hopefully it does not render the game unplayable for anyone. I recommend using the OS X version if you have that available, since the game was written in OS X originally, and I know it works just fine. Otherwise, hopefully the PC version will suffice.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »

I tried the osx version and it doesn't run for me on my macbook pro 10.4.11
The app starts up and immidiatly exits (like before the window even pops up)

I tried going into the app and running the TimeShark from command line (which I have no idea if it should work or not) and I get this error...

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL_mixer.framework/Versions/A/SDL_mixer
  Referenced from: /Users/dustin/Desktop/TimeShark/TimeShark.app/Contents/MacOS/./TimeShark
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
        /Library/Frameworks/SDL_mixer.framework/Versions/A/SDL_mixer: mach-o, but wrong architecture
Trace/BPT trap

like I said I don't know if this should work anyway but it doesn't work for me when double clicking it either
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »

All right, sounds like it needs the dynamic link libraries for SDL and SDL Mixer, and such. I'll get on it!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic