Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:55:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDubloon - A huge pirate RPG adventure
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dubloon - A huge pirate RPG adventure  (Read 9136 times)
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:21:58 PM »

Dubloon
It's finally finished!  A point-n-click pirate RPG adventure game. There are dungeons, bosses, sidequests and secrets in a huge explorable world.

File Size: 29.7 MB (11 MB version also available; see below)
Download Links:
GameJolt
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/rpg/dubloon/254/

YoYoGames
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/83854

LowFi Version:
This version has low quality music, but is only an 11 MB download. Not recommended.
LoFi Download

Walkthrough:
If you're really stuck and don't know what to do or can't solve a puzzle, you can consult this.
Walkthrough (For Landlubbers)

Gameplay Video (First 6 Minutes):

Screenshots: (Click to enlarge)

Soundtrack:
If you're really into the music Prophecy made, you can download the full game soundtrack with high bit rate/album artwork/proper song titles here.
http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/dubloon/soundtracks/download/254/

T-Shirts:
You can get a Dubloon T-Shirt here! Feel free to send suggestions for designs you want... I like selling shirts.
http://www.zazzle.com/banovg/gifts?cg=196438694018254966

Changelog: http://banov.blogspot.com/2010/06/dubloon-complete.html
Notice: Because of bug in earlier versions of the game, you might find a situation where you lose crew members or have a crewmate who has a blank name. If that happens, I highly recommend you REDOWNLOAD as the most recent versions fix these bugs automatically upon startup. All you need to replace is the EXE, so the Lo-Fi download works just as well. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Credits:
-Game by Banov
-Music by Prophecy

Comments and constructive feedback are greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:03:07 AM by Banov. » Logged

ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »

Downloading this now, slow connection tonight so it'll take a bit. But wow, this looks like an immense undertaking, congratulations on finishing it!

EDIT: Hahaha, I love your loading screen! Very clever.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:24:00 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »

Anyone else reminded of Earthbound/Mother by the graphics? Familiar style, I guess. I like it.

edit: I've played about 2 hours of it so far and I really like it. Music is top notch, but a bit loud. Turning down the volume turns every thing down, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 02:11:20 PM by allen » Logged
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »

I feel bad pointing this out, but you spelled "doubloon" wrong.

What would John Carmack do?
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:57:54 AM »

This is a pretty fun game, though the music doesn't play in game, but the sound effects. still work

Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »

Congrats on finally finishing this Banov! I'll give it a run through sometime this week for sure Grin I'll have to get further than the first boss this time Tongue

alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »

This is pretty awesome.  A little cliche, and the bright blue menus make my eyes burn, but there is a lot of substance here.  I found a game-breaking bug though: in the stealth area, attempting to run produces a "cannot find sound" error.  Since it appears I have to run to get by the second guard, there is a bit of a problem here.  Also, is it intentional that the blond spiky haired dude has a blank name?  Given that some NPCs refer to him by name pretty early on, I'm guessing not.  I may have selected a blank name by accidentally clicking on the accept button, but I don't recall getting a name-select menu for him so I don't know.  It's a bit annoying for his name to be rendered blank, for obvious reasons.

Still, I have enjoyed what I've played so far, good job!
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »

Epileptic
I'm so sorry! I made a few nervous changes right before uploading the game and now it cost me. I'm uploading a fixed version now with those bugs gone. This is really embarrassing and I'm sorry to those who had to deal with my awfully unprofessional mistakes.

I feel bad pointing this out, but you spelled "doubloon" wrong.
That however I am aware of! I chose "Dubloon" to scavenge for unique web search results and because I like the look of it better.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 07:19:33 PM »

Post'd. Smiley

alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »

Found another bug: In the "step on all the hidden tiles" section, solving the puzzle sets the "move the camera to the chest" animation on loop.  Well, the first time I solved it, I tried going up the stairs and it kinda glitched up.

Don't feel discouraged though, I've had tons of fun and you've been really quick to fix the last bug I mentioned.
jay
Level 0

Spray it, don't say it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:24:32 AM »

Congrats on being one of the rare breed that actually finishes their big RPG Beer!

This looks like a lot of fun, downloading as we speak.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »

Awesome game. I remember when you posted an early version of this is in the feedback section here a while back. I played about an hour of the game so far and it was great. I'm looking forward to playing though the rest of the game too!  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 08:45:58 AM »

Found another bug: In the "step on all the hidden tiles" section, solving the puzzle sets the "move the camera to the chest" animation on loop.  Well, the first time I solved it, I tried going up the stairs and it kinda glitched up.

Don't feel discouraged though, I've had tons of fun and you've been really quick to fix the last bug I mentioned.
I just checked and that didn't come up for me--and it's never come up for the few dozen people who have played through there before.  Which is to say, I will look into its causes and upload a bugfix sometime, but, it's a rare enough happenstance that if you play again on this version it will work ok.

EDIT: Figured it out! It happens when you try and go back downstairs after making the chest appear. Again, embarrassing. Bugfix forthcoming.

EDIT2: And fixed! I also added compatibility with GameJolt trophies.

Congrats on being one of the rare breed that actually finishes their big RPG Beer!
Beer! I find this emoticon gains news significance given the subject of the game, too.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:11:17 AM by Banov. » Logged

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 05:50:01 PM »

I've followed this game from way back, and I must say, it's lots of fun!

I found a really unfortunate bug, though...

*SPOILER*

After I beat the final boss, I tried both saving the crew and saving the Golden Chest, in that order. When I loaded my save file after saving the chest, my crew had been reduced to one person, and I can't seem to get back my other crew members, even though in the cutscene with the Golden Chest the crew are still there.

*SPOILER END*

How can I fix this??  Cry

Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »

*SPOILER*

I guess in some sense that's ironic justice, but, that wasn't intentional! This one is really odd, because not only do I remember this happening to me, but I also remember fixing it and testing it and it working. I just went back to check and the code I had written was mysteriously missing  Who, Me? I'm not even kidding, this is freaking me out. Been uploading bugfixes all day and now I know the game's just messing with me or something.

Send me an email at (banov g at g mail dot com) with your save file attached and I will PERSONALLY fix it for you. Also uploading a bugfix post haste.

Guys I am really sorry about all these dumb bugs you don't even know how stressed it's been making me every time I think I ironed out the last one and another one shows up.  Embarrassed

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 07:35:57 AM »

Guys I am really sorry about all these dumb bugs you don't even know how stressed it's been making me every time I think I ironed out the last one and another one shows up.  Embarrassed

Don't worry, bugfixing can be playing whack-a-mole sometimes. Smiley

I may have found another bug! Or maybe I'm just stupid and stuck.

I'm in the Navy HQ...

*** SPOILER (highlight text to reveal)

I took out Admiral Steel first, and then I'm trying to take down Admiral Joanne. But the puzzle with the jewel statues is giving me trouble - I flew the parrot over to find the "correct order", is it randomized? It shows three red and one yellow. I tried pushing the button on the red statue three times and then the yellow one, and nothing happens. I tried selecting "don't push" the button for each statue except the fourth one, and nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong or have I hit a bug? I tried even checking the walkthrough at last, which I hadn't previously, and it was unhelpful on this point.

*** END SPOILER

This is really nice work, though. And props to Prophecy for the music, I especially like the combat tunes. 'Course, I wish there were more spells, but the only game with which I've been happy with the vast array of spells was Master of Magic. . .

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »

Yeah, bug fixes are fine! My game got no attention, and even then we suffered under many bug fixes. I can't imagine what doing the same for a big game like Dubloon would be like!

I had the same problem as starsrift, though. I had to try multiple times to get it to work.

***SPOILER***
I tried teleporting to the entrance of the room, leaving the room, and leaving the building, and I don't know which one solved the problem...

Also, (sorry to pile on more bugs, but) another one. On Pyrite Island, on the peninsula on the left (the room with the bar), there's a spot near the two ships on the south coast where you can walk INTO the water and walk around among the ships. It's actually kind of fun!

***END SPOILER***

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »

Thanks, lasttea99, leaving the building fixes it! Smiley

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Banov
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »

Uploading a fix for both of those shortly  Embarrassed

laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

This is really good.  The interface works very well and the triggered events go very smoothly. It reminds me alot of earthbound.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic