Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:31:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGun Mute: A Texty Shoot-em-up
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gun Mute: A Texty Shoot-em-up  (Read 25742 times)
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:03:53 PM »

Premise:
In this text-based game, you control Mute Lawton, a grizzled gunslinger in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.  There's an execution at noon, and it's up to you to shoot your way forward until you stop it...  On the way you'll meet a motley band of cyborgs and mutants, who - in typical on-rails shooter style - you'll have to defeat by learning their patterns, moving in and out of cover and aiming for weak spots.

Downloads:
Zipped executable (~1Mb)
.t3 file (~700kb)

System Requirements:
Any windows platform should be able to run the .exe version.  Linux and Mac types can play the game by downloading the .t3 file and running it with Spatterlight for Mac or  Gargoyle for Linux.

Notes:
Well, this has been my project for what must be almost six months now.  I think I'm about ready to kick it out of the door after spending all this time on such a relatively short game.  I'm extremely keen to hear any feedback I can on it, especially from people who are less used to interactive fiction or text adventures.  Any bugs or typos you find will be corrected, but at this late stage anything substantial I learn from a design point of view will likely be implemented on my next project instead.

Thanks go to Terry, George and Gnome for their beta testing, and to any of the rest of you who want to contribute advice or criticism.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:05:59 AM »

I'm at that crazy Juanita-bot-thing, and damn is this awesome or what.

EDIT: Damn this gatling gun thing. I have no idea what to do.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 08:11:09 AM by Hideous » Logged

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:03:18 PM »

EDIT: Damn this gatling gun thing. I have no idea what to do.

There's no shame in typing 'hint'.  I've tried to make the hints lead you progressively closer to the solution before they give it away.

Actually, the first thing I've learnt from Gun Mute is not to do puzzle games.  Every single person who's played this game has been stumped by a completely different bad guy. Shocked

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:23:06 PM »

I found hint after an hour, hahaha. And god, this was awesome. I got 19 out of 20 points. Best plot in any text adventure I've played so far Grin

Good job!

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:57:49 PM »

Thanks, Hideous.  Smiley

Also, big thanks to the people who've been plastering this game across the web.  I'm going to go hide under my bed now.  Shocked

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 04:09:39 PM »

Definitely going to get this baby up later today!  I already know it's going to be awesome. Smiley
Chizzer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:25:07 AM »

Absolutely beautiful game, man. I really appreciate the time you took adding different verbs/commands into the game. I like playing with alternate commands in text-based games, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how many work.

I've just defeated Juanita, and love what I see so far. I'll resume this when I get back from class/work tonight.

==================================
-Boop! Danuh-nah daanuh-nah naaahh-
gustav
Fez Nonbeliever
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »

Very nice work! I usually don't have the patience for text adventures but i was pretty much hooked on this one all the way through. Kinda wanna go back to it and get a perfect score now ...Text boss battles Kiss

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »

I got eaten by a grue. Sad

I'm not good at text adventures.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »

In 247 moves, you have scored 26 of a possible 20 points. This makes you a renegade lawman with a fistful of bullets and a heart of gold. Your score consists of:
:D
You can nod to Gertrude more than once.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:12:42 PM »

"Home to the physcially diseased and the socially reviled."
"Dirty rags, rotten food, human excrement... other things you don't want to look too closesly at."

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »

Im at the glow in the dark dude, I  totally cheated and I wish I didn't now.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 03:33:14 PM »

I just wanted to say that I enjoyed this game very much.  I like the idea of having a linear moving story and solving "boss battle puzzles".

Great job!
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 03:54:30 PM »

Actually, the first thing I've learnt from Gun Mute is not to do puzzle games.  Every single person who's played this game has been stumped by a completely different bad guy. Shocked
Absolute nonsense. All the puzzles felt very logical, unlike some games where I just blindly do things without a clue. Everyone feels so memorable, and the names are just amazing. I really like this compared to other text adventures, because I'm tired of just wasting time trying to peacefully pass the troll. If he won't pass, kill him dead!
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »

...what?

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »

:D
You can nod to Gertrude more than once.

Not any more you can't.  Tongue

"Home to the physcially diseased and the socially reviled."
"Dirty rags, rotten food, human excrement... other things you don't want to look too closesly at."

Must have been a bad day for typing when I fleshed out that location. Shocked

Thanks.  You're both now mentioned in the credits.  (Hopefully the new version doesn't break more than it fixes...)

All I'm going to say is: yes.  A review of Wild Guns really struck a chord with me when I was a kid, and the whole cyborg cowboys thing lodged in my brain.  I only actually played the game quite recently though, and by then I'd already stolen the cover/shoot gameplay mechanic from Nobuyuki Forces.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »

Not trying to make any connections here, not exactly like you can "steal" the idea of robots in the wild west. :\

Regardless though awesome job man.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 03:09:54 AM »

Finished it, and it was really cool. I usually don't like text adventures because I have no idea what to do in them, but this one was logical and simple enough that I could solve most of the puzzles myself. The ending made me vaguely uncomfortable but it was still funny. In short, great game. Smiley

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 04:15:09 AM »

I wish I could write a text adventure like this. Time to boot up inform again? Tongue

serprex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 11:11:26 AM »

Finally a game that isn't too complicated for IF. No maps needed, just how I like it
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic