Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:12:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGun Mute: A Texty Shoot-em-up
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Gun Mute: A Texty Shoot-em-up  (Read 25689 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 12:53:48 PM »

I tried kissing everybody in the ending. ^____^
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »

I tried kissing everybody but glow-in-the-dark guy Tongue.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:31 PM »

Wow, what an awesome game. Only IF that I've managed to play all the way through.

jimmykane
Level 0

100% jimmykane, all the time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2008, 01:48:08 PM »

Sweet, took me an hour with no hints, and I got 17/20!
I wonder how to get the last three... (short of nodding).

www.chairmanwow.net/jaf - Exciting radio show, if you're excited about Edinburgh?
jimmykane
Level 0

100% jimmykane, all the time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »

And 20/20 now.

Onwards to Snowblind Aces!

www.chairmanwow.net/jaf - Exciting radio show, if you're excited about Edinburgh?
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 11:04:13 AM »

Thanks for your feedback everyone.   Smiley

And 20/20 now.

You might like to know that you're the first person I know of to get a full score.   Wink

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
rtrowan
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »

I played for the first time tonight, completing it in about 80 minutes with 20/20.

Nice job... felt like it flowed nicely with intuitive, built in hints.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 10:35:35 AM »

Hi!
I just tried it out! Very good and addicting! I'm fighting the reverend right now. Maybe I love it so much because I absolutely adore steam punk. Smiley

By the way: Someone has to make an Ego-Shooter with this setting! I really can't understand why none has thought of it yet.  Huh?  Okay, Bioshock may come close but actually...

We need a HL2(/something similar)-total conversion with steam punk + cyborgs + wild west. Holy crap that would be awesome!

Anyway... I hope I don't sound childish since one of "Gun Mute"'s coolest aspects actually is that it simulates interesting and "realistic" gunfights without needing actual graphics.
Good Job!

BaronCid

(OMGOMGOMG! you know like... revolvers all around and people with crazy guns built into their bodies and lots of strange steampowered vehicles. I do want that. now! :D )

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 10:56:15 PM »

Amazing job! I love how you were able to build a compelling protagonist that can meaningfully interact with the world without needing to say anything. His muteness feels like it's actually a character trait, unlike in all the bland, mute shootemup heroes I guess you're reacting to. Heck, the gunfights here were more fun, since they became a matter of wits instead of twitch and power. My only complaint is that a few of the opponents (namely the one with the brain jar and giant hand) felt like they weren't plausibly able to be defeated on the first try, which I usually dislike in a puzzle game. However, my paranoid saving habits and the relative shortness of the game doesn't make it that negative.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »

This was awesome. Well done.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Fishymuffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2008, 10:14:26 PM »

Awesome indeed
DestronPrime
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »

In 541 moves, you have scored 124 of a possible 20 points. This makes you a renegade lawman with a fistful of bullets and a heart of gold.
I found the bug whre you can nod to Gertrude a billion times, so I got lotsa points. I'm gonna restart and do the amusing stuff... although I don't know what xyzzy is...
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 03:16:15 AM »

Further thanks for the comments, guys.  Smiley

I found the bug whre you can nod to Gertrude a billion times, so I got lotsa points.

Were you playing version 5?  I thought I fixed that.  Sad

I'm gonna restart and do the amusing stuff... although I don't know what xyzzy is...

Nobody does, my friend.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
player2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 11:29:07 PM »

Definitely a great example of IF in my book.  Great story, astounding atmosphere, fun "gameplay," and even good replay.  Thanks for this!

Small bug fix... and spoilers...

In the end, if you try to x drink when you are with Elias, it asks what drink to examine, listing two of the same drink.  Not really a bug per se, as there are two drinks, but a little weird.  I found a typo in one of the last battles, too, and didn't write it down because I was too engrossed and thought I'd remember it later.  Eh, if I find it, I'll post it.

I have a question as well.  I just got started programming with TADS 3 and like the system far more than ADRIFT or Inform's.  What is the best way to implement enemies like these?  Were they really from the Person class, or were they something else that just mimicked Person objects?
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 04:27:18 AM »

What is the best way to implement enemies like these?  Were they really from the Person class, or were they something else that just mimicked Person objects?

I wouldn't like to claim to have found the best way to implement enemies with patterns, but I've certainly found one way to do it.

Essentially they're just a subclass of Person with a boolean that determines if they're dead or alive.  Because they don't move around, I just implemented their combat cycle as a room script, in the same way as in the 'Script' example in the TADS 3 Tour Guide.  It's a bit rough 'n' ready really, and you have to have a good grasp of where you might need to check that your bad guys are dead or not.  If you have a main character that can talk, you'd probably want to replace them with a static corpse object when they die.

I also made good use of ShuffledEventList for randomised responses and before/afterAction and before/afterTravel to respond to the player's actions (checking if the character is dead first).  Ultimately it depends on what you're doing, but Person is a really good place to start as it implements methods for all the obvious npc interactions.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
player2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 09:01:43 AM »

Thanks for the reply and again for the great game.

Is there an active IF development community anywhere on the Internet besides ADRIFT's?  I can't seem to find one for TADS 3 or development in general.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »

Most IF developers seem to prefer the Rec Arts Int-Fiction newsgroup - although I avoid it where possible, just because I'm used to more approachable forms of technology.  Also, the IFWiki is a good first place to start looking for anything you seek...

And then there's the PhBB board here, although it's relatively quiet.

If you have any further questions, PM me.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 11:52:28 AM by Pacian » Logged

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic