Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:33:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFamiEngine v1.0
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: FamiEngine v1.0  (Read 8605 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »

incidentally : Is the retro game system (platypus engine) dead? I have a copy on my HD and I planned to play with it when I have the time (on my retirement). I loved the retro blur effect.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »

incidentally : Is the retro game system (platypus engine) dead? I have a copy on my HD and I planned to play with it when I have the time (on my retirement). I loved the retro blur effect.

You know I have no clue. I don't think I've spoken with Ivan outside of a few chats on the forums, but it doesn't look like he's done anything with it in a while. Here's the site to his engine: http://code.google.com/p/librgs/  He used pure SDL and he's wrapped Blargg's NTSC filter over the output buffer. I've mentioned trying to wrap that into a shader for fun, but for right now I'm just going to try to get the entire thing working full-speed cross platform  Hand Any Key

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 02:45:59 PM »

Alright, its been a while since I've posted any news about this, and school + work kick my ass pretty bad. But I managed to piece together a debug screen that shows the VRAM, Palette, and Name-Tables 1 and 2 (does not show mirrors yet).

Check it out:
Download

I've also decided to take this project in the direction of shaders (will only support + compile on shader supported OpenGL). The system will use true palettes instead of PNGs, which means all editing and modifications will have to be done in a YY-CHR editor like Tilemap Pro. I will make sure to come up with a Super Fami Brothers clone so you can see how to properly fill in upcoming tiles, and what I really want is palette shifting so you can do cool coin box effects like the original SMB. This takes the entire thing closer to being more "NES"-like than before.

Also, the Linux version still compiles great, but my sound mixing I borrowed from librgs (Ivan's engine) is not fast enough to keep up on software default drivers in OpenAL. So either I need to set up a multi-threaded approach to fill in sounds, come up with a different way to mix sounds, or see if there's something wrong with the way I'm calling the default OpenAL sound driver.

Oh! And this version supports OGG output, so the music is actually from the OGG's main site. I'll convert the NSF over later, but it demonstrates how you can get more CPU cycles because the NSF player is a hog.

Mush.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »

This looks very interesting. I started making an "NES-styled" game a while back, but now I think I'm going to make it a proper NES game.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15003

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »

This looks very interesting. I started making an "NES-styled" game a while back, but now I think I'm going to make it a proper NES game.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15003

Oh man those graphics look awesome! Yeah I'm hoping I get a little bit of free time once school goes on break and work calms down a bit (full-time both is VERY time consuming). Once I start getting some tutorials up I'll start making more racket in here to try to get people using the library.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic