Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:43:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 98716 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: December 05, 2014, 04:21:39 PM »

How close are you to having a playable demo or something? I feel like I've been following development for quite a long time now

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2014, 02:33:05 AM »

I voted this as one of my favorite projects.

Yeah.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 05, 2015, 09:06:42 AM »

Eyeliner: Yussssss.

Mittens: Yeah, it has been quite a while. I've had to do a lot of art multiple times and keep trying out new gameplay mechanics for combat and such, so I haven't actually made much solid progress.  Sad

Speaking of mechanics, though, I have been working on flying; the stuff that utilized these beasties:
Sketched up a design for mounts that the characters use for mid-distance travel; basically the equivalent of horses.

These things sit somewhat like cats, so the things on the back of the saddle act as stair steps that allow for easy mounting. Steering is mainly done by leaning in whatever direction you want to go and allowing the creature to correct itself.

I've got a little demo of my progress in that for you:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/key-of-ethios/downloads/flight-test-visible-controls

Controls are as follows:

Mouse - Steer/Move Camera
Left Click - Flap/Increase Speed
Right Click - Brake
WASD - Dodge
Space - Boost
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:39:35 AM by McMutton » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2015, 10:49:14 AM »

New stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAw_4gI5Gt8&feature=youtu.be

I got sprinting, new attack sounds and FX, and a new attack.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

New Stuff:

Work on daytime stuff:

Also new grass:

I have it made up so that I can set a clump of grass above the ground in the editor and have it use physics to fit itself to the geometry beneath it.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2015, 04:28:58 PM »

I wonder what is the devbacklog, how long before a playable? vertical slice? horizontal slice? what's the scope?

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2015, 10:23:13 PM »

It's a vertical slice; I'm just doing a single demo level, although the stuff shown here is mostly me getting back into the swing of things with something partially irrelevant. Screenshot fodder, too. It'll still be a while yet till I have something playable; there are still quite a few gameplay things to work out on top of the environment and stuff.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2015, 11:12:01 PM »

okay, that's massively cool what you are doing

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 25, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »

I didn't realize that I never posted this here:

A bit of a rough sketch and old now, but Ethios consists of two segments; an enormous world tree whose branches hold up a good amount of the worlds landmasses, big and small. It controls the forces of chaos and form and is represented by the Archdeity, the Wysteria King.

Up top is an enormous mechanical clock-type thing that contains the celestial bodies and makes day and night happen, as well as making the rest of the landmasses stay afloat. It controls the forces of time and space and is represented by an as-of-yet unnamed Archdeity.

These two work together to maintain the world, as well as holding back the unfathomable void of nothing that is the Fell, which is also where the same-named Fell creatures come from, but more on that later.

Anyway, I felt like doing the clockwork thingy, so here's a clockwork thingy:

Hard to get a decent picture of the bastard in-game, as it's a bit big:

Each of those off-center gears has a frame running around it that holds the sun or the moon. The one that's active is attached to the lens bit in the very center, and whenever the other one makes a full rotation, they switch out. Thus day and night.

I'm thinking it'll be a not-so-subtle transition where the current sky has a circle open up in it that eventually removes the entire thing, revealing the other sky in its place.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 25, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »

that's massive!

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »

Indeed it is.

Now I've got image effects, and I can do those soft particles you mentioned, and other cool stuff. Thanks Unity 5!

My only issue now is that the sun flare is waaay too bright, so you can't see any detail.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: March 21, 2015, 10:51:39 PM »

Sweet. Pretty crazy the difference those features make.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 28, 2015, 10:34:18 AM »

Right? It's like a whoooole new gaaaame.

They make my computer chug like hell, however. But anyway

I got some menu stuff going on:

Also, how have I not followed your Twitter yet? Man.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:42:49 AM by McMutton » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 28, 2015, 12:14:20 PM »

Huh what happen? I watch the image from another computer my mother just bought (which I haven't calibrated) and now the image looks perfect ... without the weird light balance I always complain about.

I HATE SCREEN COLORS CALIBRATION it only bring despair Sad

Also great work, it looks realllllllyyyy cooooolllll   Smiley

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 06, 2015, 04:04:59 PM »

Monitors are quite tricky, yeah.

Making an enemy archer for the first level. I guess I didn't mention it here, but switching to Unity 5 completely destroyed the demo level I was working on, so I'm doing an update on the level I had in that demo I had a bit ago.

Anyway:

I'm updating the male one, too. Making the Grell less monstrous and more like a race of people.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: April 11, 2015, 02:43:39 AM »

I really dig your character designs. Very stylish.

ShrackAttack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2015, 09:46:29 AM »

Super awesome as always.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 18, 2015, 09:08:45 AM »

Thanks, guys! Glad you like it.

I'm working on a bunch of modular assets for the interior areas:

Keeping it gray and just doing the detail so that I can go back and add color once I figure out a color scheme.

Also Ellie's shield is magic now:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 28, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »

REPORT!

I'm making a few changes to the switching system. Originally, you'd have the three combatant heroes and switch between them by 'scrolling' with two buttons. Now I'm assigning each hero to an arrow key (Or whatever buttons you want to set them to), meaning that there's a fourth space that Celeste can occupy. So she'll be playable as well.

Due to that, I'm removing double-jumping and gliding from the others, and having it just be Celeste that can do it, as it was her doing it anyway.

Now I just need to figure out how she'll fight, aside from her spells; Basic combos and stuff.

I'm also planning on stealing the cooking system from Trails in the Sky, as I really liked how that whole thing was done: You could buy healing potions from stores, or rarely find them on the field, but it's far more cost-effective to pop on over to the general store and load up on a bunch of ingredients that you can use to cook any number of recipes that you've discovered.

And I don't think I mentioned it, but I've also changed the way Ellie's Parry skill works. It used to be that you would parry a projectile, and it'd fly back to the one that fired it and deal damage.

Now I'm making you aim the reflected projectile, which opens up more possibilities; you could send it right back to the sender, OR you can hit it at another enemy, or a switch, or any number of things. This'll allow it to be used for puzzles.

END REPORT!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:26:05 AM by McMutton » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 01, 2015, 09:53:15 AM »

Grells!

A vagabond people; it was a generation or so back that their homeland of Grelga was destroyed by a fragment of the Fell that was called The Omen. They spread about as wanderers, making their homes where they could.

Grells are excellent craftsmen, and don’t really have it in them to put anything but the utmost effort into anything they do. As it turns out, this is a double-edged sword; Their works and efforts are of the highest quality, but they can’t hurry themselves, and are slow to react when things suddenly need to be done.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic