Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:58:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Runaway Paint
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Runaway Paint  (Read 4513 times)
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:43:46 PM »

I just finished making a paint program and I'd love to know if people find it interesting/usable.

Runaway Paint

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 04:38:18 PM »

holy shit this is hard  Epileptic

i made a frog

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 07:31:48 PM »

Dear god how you ever created the image in your first post is beyond me.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »

As I said in a different thread, this is awesomely fun. I do think that you could rework this a bit more as a toy than as a serious painting software (which is what it tries to look like, with all its tools). Reduce the tools to what is strictly needed to have fun with it, and perhaps add new ones depending on what you feel would suit this attractive mechanic you have there.

Actually, I recently finished a drawing toy as a gift for my little sister, so maybe I'm just seeing this from that perspective and not appreciating your work for what it is. I apologize if so.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »

Fun at first, but it loses its appeal once you actually try to draw something since precision is impossible with the counter-intuitive nature of the program.  Maybe there could be an "attract" mode too?

hi
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »

I drew Noah's Ark. You can tell that's what it is because there is a giraffe and a dove.

As I said in a different thread, this is awesomely fun. I do think that you could rework this a bit more as a toy than as a serious painting software (which is what it tries to look like, with all its tools). Reduce the tools to what is strictly needed to have fun with it, and perhaps add new ones depending on what you feel would suit this attractive mechanic you have there.
I'm not really sure that reducing the palette/number of brushes would do much to make it look more like a toy. Unless you mean something else? I don't exactly have a wide variety of tools.

What additions would you suggest? I can't really think of many things I could add which wouldn't take it more towards the appearance of serious painting software.

Fun at first, but it loses its appeal once you actually try to draw something since precision is impossible with the counter-intuitive nature of the program.  Maybe there could be an "attract" mode too?
I kinda feel that adding an attract mode would just mean that nobody would use the repel mode. But I can also see how an attract mode could be fun, so maybe.

Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »

increpare
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 03:27:42 PM »

impressive, Karuvitomsk : D

But I can also see how an attract mode could be fun, so maybe.
Maybe you could make a sequel? :D

repost of my businessman

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »

hehehehehe sneaky stuff Wink

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:44:59 PM »

Reduce the tools to what is strictly needed to have fun with it, and perhaps add new ones depending on what you feel would suit this attractive mechanic you have there.

I'm not really sure that reducing the palette/number of brushes would do much to make it look more like a toy. Unless you mean something else? I don't exactly have a wide variety of tools.

What additions would you suggest? I can't really think of many things I could add which wouldn't take it more towards the appearance of serious painting software.

You think they're not a lot because you're comparing it to Paint, probably, but compare it, instead, to The Incredible Machine, or something along those lines.

Some ideas to 'toyfy' it:

- Make the canvas constantly rotate (there could be a slider to control its speed).
- Reduce the colors to a palette of four or so, which can be changed, and the drawing reflects the changes.
- Every time a region is circled, flood-fill it with a random color.
- Change the color the brush paints with according to its movement speed.
- Place some 'collectibles' strewn around the canvas that play as a bit of a randomized connect-the-dots drawing.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 01:08:12 PM »

Neat program to toy with Smiley

I kinda feel that adding an attract mode would just mean that nobody would use the repel mode. But I can also see how an attract mode could be fun, so maybe.
Well, I'm not sure if this would work, but perhaps attract mode could work only to a certain distance and after that stop or turn into repel mode? Like follows mouse till about 32px from it and starts again to evade it?

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »

i'm a proud dude

i mean lookit this bad motherfucker

and yes i'm too lazy to remove the border

Lo
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »

Awesome stuff everyone! Especially Karuvitomsk and Diamonds Droog 4brawl.

I drew Pacman:

P.S. there is a "save" button which will export the image without needing to screenshot anything.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic