Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:40:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSteam's having some big sale
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Steam's having some big sale  (Read 13385 times)
Curseman
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 05:39:27 PM »

Are the Gothic games like Morrowind or what?  What's the closest thing to compare them to?  I haven't played the Witcher.

What's bad about 3?  I've heard people say that it was buggy to the point of being broken, but the developers also claim that it's fixed by now, so I dunno.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »

Are the Gothic games like Morrowind or what?  What's the closest thing to compare them to?  I haven't played the Witcher.
From what I know The Witcher's gameplay isn't very similar to Gothic, anyway, only the whole setting and tone.
Gothic 2 is much more streamlined than Morrowind, less technical. There aren't so many skills, and you only upgrade them in big, noticable steps. The combat also was rather a minor point for me. At least in the beginning it could be a bit tactical, but all in all even though you fight much, it was never a main attraction. I'd argue that in terms of how you control your character Gothic 2 is even closer to an action adventure than an RPG, though actually "playing a role" is one of its strong points.
I really can't think of another good game to call "very similar to Gothic 2", apart from Gothic 1, and the developer's half-sequel half-remake of Gothic 2, Risen.

What's bad about 3?  I've heard people say that it was buggy to the point of being broken, but the developers also claim that it's fixed by now, so I dunno.
As far as I know it was indeed terribly buggy in the beginning, but by now it should mostly be very stable. But, as I posted before, the gameplay in general is still said to be rather mediocre, and the main strong points are a nice world to look at and a fantastic musical score.

[edit]
Damn, I thought I wouldn't want to get the X-Com pack after all. Then I heard

again. Gosh, this game is terribly atmospheric. Listening to this music, I can basically see the terrifyingly dark corn fields of the damn night-time crash site missions, and hear the clanky footsteps of my soldiers as they move out of the plane. And the damn alien shots suddenly coming from nowhere with a loud PEW.
I think I want to play this again..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:43:19 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2010, 12:47:25 AM »

Wow, Osmos really is good! Guess I'll buy it since it's only 2,75e  Epileptic

I know this doesn't really fit in this topic but could someone who has Hammerfight tell why my mouse cursor acts weird in it? I know there is that calibration thing but seems like my mouse just lags behind and I really can't fly the machines at all o_O Could this be just a misscalibration or my lowend processor?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2010, 06:58:01 AM »

just set the sensitivity alllllllllll the way up

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2010, 08:05:06 AM »

Didn't seem to help, except I actually could keep the machine in air but couldn't figure out swinging o_O oh well, maybe I recheck this after I get a new computer in case it's something to do with my hardware rather than my lack of skills :D

Does anyone have anything to say about this pack? http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2573/
Gumboy and Obulis look kinda interesting and Chains could be good too. Vigil is also interesting though I'm not into horror games myself. I guess I could buy Osmosis, maybe this and perhaps some other as I dig deeper into Steam...

EDIT: BTW, anyone know good shmup, vertical or horizontal etc.?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:11:01 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »

Trine
Indigo Prophecy
King's Bounty: Gold Edition
X-Com Complete Pack
Commandos Pack
Street Fighter IV

$35

Thanks, Steam.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »

Are the Gothic games like Morrowind or what?  What's the closest thing to compare them to?  I haven't played the Witcher.
Gothic is much more linear and story/atmosphere-driven than Elder Scrolls. Character stats and micromanagement are a pretty small part of the game, but what's there is satisfying enough. The Witcher is even more linear, fairly close to a traditional "main story plus sidequests" setup in fact, whereas in Gothic 2 you get to join one of three different factions early in the game which makes huge differences in terms of both gameplay and story.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2010, 11:34:31 AM »

I think I'll have spent roughly a 100 bucks by the end of this and will have something like 30 new games.

You gotta love Steam sometimes.

Oooh, Shatter. Totally getting it. Also for those that enjoy Diablo 2 and want to see their productivity go down the drain I recommend Torchlight. If you're an experienced Diablo player, do start in a harder difficulty, the game's pretty easy usually.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:16 AM »

Also King's Bounty is totally Awesome.

EDIT:

IF you act today, you can get Left 4 Dead, TorchLight and Red Faction Guerrilla for less then $20, TOGETHER, wowzers.

*I totally would if I hadn't already spent like $140 for the three of them when they came out.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2010, 11:49:43 AM »

We should definitely start some Commandos games, with voice chat. It's absolutely amazing.

Demon Lizardman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »

Hey
Overlord pack
Beyond Good and Evil
and Torchlight
All under 25 bucks

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

Everyone should add Ghost Master to their cart, it's only a buck and it's a hilarious game.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »

IF you act today, you can get Left 4 Dead, TorchLight and Red Faction Guerrilla for less then $20, TOGETHER, wowzers.

Guerrilla looks like it would get old pretty quick. Am I wrong?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2010, 02:03:54 PM »

I don't find it very attractive myself, but for the price is may be worth it.

Those that were wishing to grab Mass Effect 2, it's also in today's deals. Not as crazy a price as the others, but still fairly cheap for a new game.

team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2010, 03:35:42 PM »

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »

Guerrilla looks like it would get old pretty quick. Am I wrong?
Red Faction Guerrilla is one of the very few games that I've played through to completion. It's very fun, and mixes it up enough with the weapons / equipment you're given over time, and the challenges all over the place. There are different ways you can approach a situation due to the fairly open environment, the various vehicles and the range of weapons (that act quite differently).

It had terrible audio when I played it, but apparently that's caused by a 5.1 sound system?  Shrug

EDIT: forgot to mention giant awesome mech suits of destruction.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:09:16 PM by Radnom » Logged

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »

It does indeed seem repetitive and to an extent it is. But the totally dynamic destruction also kept me interested throughout the whole game. It has noticable flaws and obvious untapped potential, but for me it was worth the retail price. It should be well worth at least $5 for most players Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2010, 04:44:18 PM »

Cool. I think I'll get it. Thanks, guys.

But what about The Void? Corny Laugh
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2010, 04:51:29 PM »

man, i can't even run shatter, but i bought it because the soundtrack is SO GOOD

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »

The Void for 5 bucks is totally worth it, if only for the strange and unique experience. I need to finish that game myself.

Also, Shatter is fucking awesome and everybody should buy it now.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic