Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 06:26:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsThe "A Game By Its Cover" Competition
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The "A Game By Its Cover" Competition  (Read 76391 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:41:11 AM »

What is this?

"A Game By Its Cover" is a game development competition based on how people's work inspires others to think in new and wonderful ways. In it we'll make real games out of fake game carts whose creators probably never imagined would become something real!

What do I do?

1- Pick one fake game cartridge/disk/box art from somewhere in the internet!

2- Use it as inspiration to make a real game out of it!

3- Enjoy an atmosphere of high creative energy, no crystals required!

4- Have lots of fun!

What are the guidelines?

1- Each entry must be based solely on one source image.

2- More than one entry can be based on the same image, so don't go on calling dibs since there are no dibs.

3- Create a thread for your game in the A Game By Its Cover sub-forum within Competitions, with the prefix: "[AGBIC] ". Like this:

[AGBIC] My Bit of Garden: Gaiden Edition

4- Within the first post of your thread, post the image that you'll be using as inspiration.

5- If possible, post a link to the original website where the image can be found.

6- Use the cart primarily as a source of inspiration. You do not need to tie yourself to any elements of the cart (like title, art style or any descriptions), and are in fact encouraged to take it in an original path.

7- Use carts that show original concepts and design. Avoid things like "Modern Warfare 2 on Atari 2600" or "Twilight as an NES game". Remember, we're here to prize originality and creativity!

8- Do not use your own images, or images that haven't been made specifically to be fake carts/disks/boxes.

9- Do not alter the original image in any way (other than resizing it for display on the thread).

10- Collaborations are allowed, welcome and encouraged.

11- You may use existing frameworks/engines that you or others have coded for your games.

12- However, the game itself must be made entirely for this competition.

13- If you cancel your entry, don't lock the thread, merely add " [CANCELLED]" to the end of your thread title.

14- If you finish your entry, add " [FINISHED]" to the end of your thread title, and remember to post your game in the "POST FINISHED ENTRIES HERE" thread, following the guidelines provided in the first post. Only games that are posted in that thread will be eligible for voting.

15- There are no restrictions or limitations as to how your game should look/work, except that your game must not alter or damage anything about the player's computer, though that should go without saying. Even if you choose a fake NES cart, you don't have to make the game with NES restrictions (but are welcome to if that floats your boat). Be aware that if your game doesn't work on Windows or otherwise works on few or obscure OS's that people may have trouble playing it and may not vote for it during the voting phase, but that part is also up to you.

16- TIGSource claims no ownership of anything you make. It's all for fun!

17- If your game possesses NSFW or otherwise potentially offensive content, put in disclaimers BOTH on the thread AND within the game itself as the first thing visitor/players see.

18- No prizes, other than the adoration of your peers and a piece of my approval, worth more than its weight in gold in at least 13 states!

19- Offer feedback to your fellow participants throughout the competition! Socialize!

20- Enjoying yourselves is a priority!

But where can I find carts to make games out of?

I'm glad you asked! The original event to inspire this competition was the Famicase Exibition, hosted in Japan by Meteor:

Famicase 2008
Famicase 2009
Famicase 2010

A video on Famicase (2007)

ALL Famicase carts in a single package for easy downloading! (courtesy of Cthulhu32)
(Mirror)

A Flash App with all carts. May have higher resolution version on older carts. Requires hefty loading.

Additional sources:

http://fx.worth1000.com/contests/11213/beta-busts-5 (provided by Ina Vegt)
http://mightygodking.com/index.php/2008/04/21/fun-from-yesterday/? (provided by shockedfrog)

Obviously, if you find somewhere else with interesting carts or boxes to make games out of, you're welcome to use them, and to share them in this thread! Of course, avoid sources of the style I mentioned previously. Pick original and creative concepts!

For those that want it, here's a nice first-post template by Dacke (linked by JamesGecko)

The compo STARTS: June 28
The compo ENDS: August 7

Now get onto it! I'm going to bed! Tired
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 12:37:41 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:07:25 AM »

I claim this one.

increpare
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:39:49 AM »

Someone going to frontpage this?
CatStack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 07:02:02 AM »

Ohh, I quite like the look of the The Web cartridge art and the concept that I can't help but imagine. In fact I can see the game now. I shall attempt because it's the summer holidays and this is quite possibly the first competition I actually have enough time in which to work on it!

Called! Actually I feel a bit guilty calling anything that seems like a good idea given my track record... third time's the charm I guess.

Edit again: On second thoughts whilst I keep changing my mind I'm happy with this. <<;
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:26:10 AM by Lightnix » Logged

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 07:38:21 AM »

I just found this on the Famicase site, it's a bit interesting to use to browse: http://famicase.com/chronicle

Also, is there a link to the 2005 page?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:43:35 AM by Laremere » Logged

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »

Let's get to work!

EDIT: Can't make a child board? If not, no problem, I'm just worried this may turn into a fustercluck
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:37:56 AM by Hangedman » Logged

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »

I haven't found a link to the 2005 exibition. If anyone does, please post about it!

I claim this one.

That actually looks like a real game. Better have that checked.

If it isn't, though, I can see all kinds of NSFW possibilities for that. Who, Me? No worries though, NSFW content allowed (if you put in a disclaimer on your page).

Saker
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:23:41 AM »

NSFW content allowed
Hand Metal Left Wizard Hand Metal Right

I've to finish my Action52 game first thought  Panda Hand Shake Right
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »

I'd just like to note that Dacke made a nice template for AGBIC first posts, if you'd like to use it. The bbcode follows:
Code:
[center][size=13pt][b]Proprietary Walkers of Space[/b][/size][/center]
[hr]
[table]
[tr][td][size=11pt][b]Description[/b][/size]

Game that is of walking, in spaces through falling movement. Many they are of plush attention, you shoot the sky.

You are the person of the hour. No times for losers cos' you are the champion my friend.

Eat some noodles later with ketchup.

Released in 1994 as two separate game cartridges. New types of Shields, twice the number of Pie Emeralds to collect. A new playable character with his own special routes through the game.[/td]
[td]              [/td]
[td][size=11pt][b]Inspired by[/b][/size]

[url=http://famicase.com/08/softs/7.jpg][img width=450]http://famicase.com/08/softs/7.jpg[/img][/url][/td][td]              [/td][/tr][tr][td][/table]
[hr]
[size=11pt][b]Download[/b][/size]
[url=http://Tarball]Tarball[/url]. [url=http://Debian package]Debian package[/url].

[size=11pt][b]How to play[/b][/size]
Press my buttons. Move much
BoxedLunch
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »

i have a major feeling somebody will pick this:
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

I claim this one.

That actually looks like a real game. Better have that checked.

If it isn't, though, I can see all kinds of NSFW possibilities for that. Who, Me? No worries though, NSFW content allowed (if you put in a disclaimer on your page).

Well, it was from a contest for fake video game covers. There seems to be a vaporware project called Hell Tycoon, but it postdates this cover.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »

Great theme! Definitely going to do something for this Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »

yes (said in the past tense)

N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »

Maybe with the inspiration from these awesome, awesome, awesome Famicase cartridges, I can actually finish a game.

The hardest part is claiming not the coolest one, but one that I think can get done, knowing my abilities and ambition.
jwk5
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »

Makes me wish I'd made more fake game cases in "The Neverending Hybrid Game Design Game" thread.

Anyways, this sounds like fun. I think I will give it a go (just as soon as I find some good fake box art to use). EDIT: Woo! Found one! :D

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:09:46 PM by jwk5 » Logged
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 12:56:20 PM »

Such an awesome idea!

Now are there any covers which are obviously for sudoku?

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »

I've got this one!

Sushi Blade!

My games on  GameJolt.com

xot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 01:04:18 PM »

This is a great idea. Hope I can find the time to join in! Good luck, everbuzzles.  Beer!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »

yes (said in the past tense)

Thanks a lot Paul. Could you perhaps change "realize it" to "use it as inspiration for a real game" or something like that? Just to be specific.

Also, whoa, I didn't expect this many threads so quickly.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 01:14:38 PM »

what -- that's what 'realize' means, specifically. to make something real is to realize it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic