Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:06:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Under the Garden [FINAL GAME/EDITOR]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Under the Garden [FINAL GAME/EDITOR]  (Read 179192 times)
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2010, 11:01:58 PM »

I found it amusing that you could travel the world through the sky by carrying two boxes with you. I'm not sure if that's an exploit or if it's intentional. It does seem to go a against the game's theme a bit, though.

Oh, you don't even need two boxes. I broke into the goddamn bear cave that killed me by carrying one box and moving it under me as I jumped. It's hard to jump sideways onto a single box though (since you tend to slip off) so that limits the potential for abuse.

Does anyone have any idea what that is or could be, and is this indeed the end of that corridor?

No idea man, I saw that thing too but accidentally let it off my screen and never saw it again. While we're at it, what's that bird thing do?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:05:22 PM by miconazole » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2010, 12:45:23 AM »

Sorry been TOTALLY sidetracked by starcraft 2, omg its ruining my productivity  Cry  Okay so pregenerated levels seems really the way to go, its going to take me a week or two to make it play nice with everything, but I think it will be worth it when the world generates its own problems each time, im also scrapping the loading between level segments and making it one giant world with no loading.  Then after that Ill focus on doing some construction based skills, expanding on the farming skill so you got a better choice at what grows and where, and add fishing, as it was something I really wanted to add but never found the time.  Then after all that optimise like crazy and I think ill be ready to release the first after competition version, expect it shortly after black market beta though, as thats sapping alot of my time between starcraft 2 at the moment.
[

quote author=miconazole link=topic=13394.msg417635#msg417635 date=1281769318]
I found it amusing that you could travel the world through the sky by carrying two boxes with you. I'm not sure if that's an exploit or if it's intentional. It does seem to go a against the game's theme a bit, though.

Oh, you don't even need two boxes. I broke into the goddamn bear cave that killed me by carrying one box and moving it under me as I jumped. It's hard to jump sideways onto a single box though (since you tend to slip off) so that limits the potential for abuse.

Does anyone have any idea what that is or could be, and is this indeed the end of that corridor?

No idea man, I saw that thing too but accidentally let it off my screen and never saw it again. While we're at it, what's that bird thing do?
[/quote]

The birds functionality is still unknown to everyone??? Damn  Cheesy  Ill look into that bug, though I kind of like using boxes to break through into areas... haha ill fix it.

A relaxed free-roaming exploration platformer that is also completely merciless and unforgiving?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this qualifies as "a first of it's kind" as well as a magnificent game,
Well, they aren't platformers, but survival-based exploration games are nothing new. There's Notrium and Stranded, for example. Although this game does quite a few creative things that other games don't.

even if the snow and rain particles kill my FPS.
Did you try turning the blurriness off? This made it run a lot faster on my machine (as well as making it look nicer, IMO).

I'm very impressed with this game. It contains a lot more content than any other competition game I've played so far. I can't say it particularly appeals to me, since I don't usually like slow, repetitive survival-based games. But I can still appreciate your work. I'm sure a lot of people will have hours of entertainment with this. And there's a good chance I'll come back to it again when I have more time.

I think the control is a bit too slippery, though. Though precise platforming doesn't seem necessary that often, it comes up enough for the loose controls to be an annoyance.

Ill look into that slipperyness for you, though I did initially increase it some pages back after melly requested more slippery, fine balance I guess.  Umm It doesnt bother me that you can "box jump", I mean, theres a hundred things that could break the theme of it all, for starters, floating boxes .....  Cheesy  Anyway hope you stick around when the post competition versions done  Beer! Thanks for playin man  Gentleman

Alright, I have to say this game is fabulous, if not a bit easy. I've enjoyed every second I have played of it! Actually, I do have a single complaint, which is the slipperiness of movement (the tediousness of tasks I don't mind, but the way he jerks forward is uncalled for.) Other than that, I love you, and please do make a random-generating version.

I do have an inquiry about something in the game too. It's actually a possible spoiler so...

SPOILER ALERT BELOW

If you could explain this thanks!

So, I've gone through the bear's cave, killed the bear, got the spring, and moved as far right as I could tell. However, when I'm up there, I see a random pink thing at the bottom of the screen. Does anyone have any idea what that is or could be, and is this indeed the end of that corridor? Here's a picture of what I see there: http://img826.imageshack.us/i/underthegardenoddity.png/

That pink block is a odd one, ive heard that report before also but Just never found it in a level, fixing it now.  Happy you like the game  Beer!

I like it!

Came to the forums to ask what the possibilities are.

So far I've cut like a hundred trees and made a big pile outside my house,
what can I do with all that wood?

I read you can farm in some post but im not sure how...

You might want to come up with a different way to find tools than just smashing rocks, maybe placing them in different locations around the map to encourage exploration.

The tools should be placed around the map, I dont think you can find tools under rocks in theroy... Umm the wood is used to light the fireplace and thats it at the moment, but a few people have told me now I need to add a crafting system, godamn.  Thanks for playin though man!

LOVE IT. will be back later with something constructive once i've played some more, just wanted to tell you how i got "that" feeling and couldn't stop playing today. Very similar feeling i got the first time i played spelunky. I feel like this game would be such a perfect fit for procedurally generated worlds...

My thoughts exactly on the procedural world  Wink

Its randomly determined, you have a 1/10 chance of dying every time you injure yourself, sick5=1 from memory.

edit: Okay so this is my random thought for the day, and it might be crazy so we shall see, but im considering scrapping the map based levels for a entirely editable ingame height based map solution, generates at the start of the game, I would add in some tools ingame so you have limited ability to modify it...  This would fix alot of the problems I forsee with the game currently...  Ill prototype it see how it goes.
wait won't this make all that effort in modding it Pointless, and that I need to do all this modding all over again?! Screamy oh well hopefully you keep your older versions of your game.

Dont worry ill still keep the optional loading map in there as a flag, It would be useful for creating very specific areas anyhow, so dont stress rum  Grin

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »

It's 75%DONE
mappackdot75
what's included in this version is well it's updated for the updated final(fast reload) release, 12 badly drawn comics based on the map pack*
*Detroit section

pretty sure after (bug fixing) this map pack. I'll start  working on the black market conversion map pack once the random generated level version of this game comes out.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2010, 10:15:26 PM »

Haha great job on the comic man, i loves it  Kiss

♒ben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »

Here are a few things i jotted down while playing the game:
- A pause button would be awesome.
- Hate how the mouse disapears in the black around the game when in fullscreen mode.
- The UI is quite intrusive and gets in the way when trying to do anything near the top or bottom of the level.
- After my first play through, the first time i use my axe is always on a tree but i still get a message saying "Great! now go find a tree to lumber.."
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2010, 01:10:03 AM »

I added all that to the list for the next build, thanks for the email too dude  Beer!  Im not sure how to fix the fullscreen mouse problem however....

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »

Under the Garden has won the Game of the Compo badge, for being the winner of the AGBIC Competition. Hand Clap Grin Congratulations Farmergnome.

Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Metal Right Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Left Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Ninja Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Metal Left Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Metal Left Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Left Hand Clap Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Any Key Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Left Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Metal Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2010, 10:22:15 PM »

Aww cheers man, thanks everyone for playin it  Beer!  Back to the grind  Cheesy

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:08 PM »

Hand ClapCrazy Damn fine work, gnome.

Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2010, 05:55:44 AM »

Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left Kiss Kiss Kiss I was cheering you on the whole time brah, congrats dude. You did dis family guud son.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »

so looks like I need to update the mappack for the game of the compo edition.
sweet!
zafo999
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 16, 2010, 09:50:19 PM »

I just got an account on these forums to tell you how amazing this game is. Congratulations on the victory! It was well-deserved.
whilefun
Level 1

Making games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:04 AM »

This is the most fun I've had exploring a game in ages! Excellent work, Farmergnome! :D

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »

Cheers guys  Grin  Gonna be updating this soon I think, once I get some time away from other projects...

Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »

This is one hell of an enjoyable game. Excellent work!

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2010, 07:49:09 PM »

I had a bug in an earlier version that seemed to be happening only to me. The final version fixed it though. NICE WORK  Hand Clap

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
The_Cartesian
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2010, 06:27:28 PM »

I've played a small amount of the game so far, but there is this border around the edge of the screen making my inventory & stamina bar barely visible. 

Also at the title screen, there is something screwy happening too, the majority of it is black besides a green glitchy looking thing in the centre and what I'm guessing is snow getting through a aptch of visibility in the centre too.  I can see the 'restart?' and the 'smooth on/off' text, but that is basically it.

Once I hit restart?, the game runs perfectly fine all except that annoying black border.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm pretty desparate to play this game long enough to do it some justice!
DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

did you download the newest version? Go to the first post and download the finished game there. I had that problem and doing that made it go away.

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
The_Cartesian
« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2010, 12:06:30 AM »

I thought I had the newest one... I've tried redownloading it still...  Same problem.

I definately downloaded it from the 'FINAL GAME!' link too.

Awh Sad
foxes8787
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 08, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »

Amazing game  Kiss Reminds me slightly of minecraft, but different enough to be well.. different. Congrats on the awards, it definitely deserved it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic