Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:03:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Under the Garden [FINAL GAME/EDITOR]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Under the Garden [FINAL GAME/EDITOR]  (Read 179183 times)
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »

Jumping seems to be guided by the mouse.  As in, you'll jump in the direction your mouse is pointing.  I hate this.  So much.  Please change it.  The game is otherwise awesome, though you should really change the black wall blocks to something more distinct.  I just couldn't use them because they looked so similar to every other black block.  I kept on trying to leave my house until, after five minutes of vainly walking, I realized there was a wall block in front of me.  Really frustrating.
In fact, I didn't like placing blocks in general.  The way they stacked was super-confusing, as was the way the original sprite stayed put when I dragged the block around.

Still, though, this is looking great.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14:11 PM »

ALRIGHT, LETS DO THIS!

Moving from this position:

Pixel 30Pixel 30
Pixel 30SMB Brick
SMB MarioSMB Brick
SMB BrickSMB Brick

To this position:

Pixel 30SMB Mario
Pixel 30SMB Brick
Pixel 30SMB Brick
SMB BrickSMB Brick

Is practically impossible, because when you hit the side of a wall, you lose all horizontal velocity, so even holding the right arrow (I'll say arrows for ease of understanding, I know it's controlled with WASD Tongue), I just jump vertically in the air while trying to make that jump. That's probably the biggest issue I have.

If you're pressed against a vertical wall, sometimes you can just keep wall-jumping against it. Seems to happen with walls made out of blocks.

I think the bounciness comes more from edges on tiles.

And yeah, it's often very hard to discern some foreground wall blocks from background blocks.

I thin that's aobut all I can remember at this exact moment. I'll let you know if I have more.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2010, 07:20:23 PM »

Just putting a new build up now with some minor tweaks, gonna sort this out right now, if melly says its anoying its anoying damnit!  Cheesy  Oh and ill fix that directional mouse jump thing also...

edit: Okay try that new build, it might not be exact but theres more control in the air now, i hope thats what you mean, also removed the directional push at the start of the jump so its not dependant on the direction, feedback??

www.paul-greasley.com/garden/garden.zip

edit1:  I lowered the friction across the board to all the ground tiles also, that should stop the problem with walls slowing you too much to clear them, atleast I hope....

edit2:  Lowered wall friction and increased jump height a bit, might break a few obsticles ingame but makes for a easier time controling.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 08:30:26 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2010, 08:44:01 PM »

Ah yes, it feels MUCH better now. Grin Now I can actually walk around the place without much issue.

I'd love to have a bigger inventory, but I guess it encourages you to plan ahead what should you bring and what should you bring back, and it was amusing when wind blew away all my itens stored near the house, so I built a proper storage for them.

Same placeable blocks behave strangely though. Some seem to only collide vertically, others horizontally. Also, there's a slight issue with sticking on the edge of tiles, but it's not a huge deal.

wind sometimes behaves strangely, like sometimes I can see the leaves blowing, but the wind doesn't affect me or any itens on the ground.

Also:

Fireplace bug.

And:

I think itens that fall down holes like that should vanish from the screen. it's very odd having them sitting there in midair and confuses the player.

I'll be playing this more in short bursts over the coming days. I wanna go exploring. Beer!

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:35 PM »

Oh good find for those bugs, ill definately add items down ditches being destroyed and fix that fireplace bug... Nice house melly haha  Beer!  See your putting to good use those lanterns from the mines  Cheesy

As for blocks that collide horizontally vs vertically, some are effected by gravity, others are not, that might be it, though all blocks will fall from the sky if they arent maintained, leaving your house in a pile of toppled blocks eventually.

Ill also look into the wind behaviors, make sure its blowing stuff around properly... hmmmm  Gentleman

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2010, 08:57:43 PM »

I didn't understand that repairing block aspect. How do I repair blocks? Do I need to replace them, or maybe there are tools I can use?

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »

The hammer will repair stuff, you need to find it though, it also acts as a improved mining pick as the chainsaw acts as a improved axe, the chainsaw can break open those big logs you occasionally see in the ground also which reveal secret areas, the hammer is within walking distance of the starting area though you will have to pass a boar...  The chainsaw is in the dark caves I think.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »

Like I said, there's exploring to be done!

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »

Ahh, yeah, this version's much better. Having quite a lot of fun exploring.

Found the photoframe. Very cute.

(Should I report typos/spelling errors? There are quite a lot to report.)

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2010, 10:24:21 PM »

just shoot me a pm, I got a few typo lists now to work through Smiley  Have fun exploring im just adding in a new area now, gonna be a mountain top where it constantly snows, will have the 4th fireplace in the game also.  Well, hello there!

Im thinking finishing up this area, getting rid of all the bugs, adding in any item requests people want, then calling it finished for the competition version, oh and cleaning up the editor a bit, cus as you can see (f8 on main screen) its a bit messy at the moment...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:16:01 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

Fireshaw
Level 1

Let's always be stupid forever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:35 AM »

Wonderful game!  My only complaint is that my house fell apart.  Sad

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2010, 05:13:57 AM »

ROFLS!  Okay that does raise a valid point, it is quite a pain constantly repairing your house and it leaking is enough trouble alone, should I keep the house crumbling effect if you fail to maintain your house?  Or make it more obvious or something?  Maybe highlight it in red or something... hrmmmm.  Any ideas?

EDIT: Ill throw up a build tonight without house crumbling effects, and it will just leak more, making your stamina go down, that might be a bit more friendly, should have the new mountain peaks section up tonight also  Well, hello there!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:21:37 AM by Farmergnome » Logged

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2010, 07:55:13 AM »

I had a hard time figuring out which tiles block and which tiles are just for backgrounds and I fell into the river!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
documents
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »

Coming out of that door spawns you in the wall sometimes.
Then I got charged by a boar and the game got stuck on the starting screen.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:50:47 PM by documents » Logged
Fireshaw
Level 1

Let's always be stupid forever.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »

Then I got charged by a boar and the game got stuck on the starting screen.
You can open up the player file and remove the line "sick5=1" at the bottom to resolve the stuck starting screen.

Also, I got a new house, but all my stuff is in my old ruined house.  I don't suppose there is (or will be) a cart item or a moving service?

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2010, 04:05:38 PM »

Im Fixing both these now should be up in a few hours, along with the new area and fireplace bug fixes and removing house collapsing... Then editor cleaning up time so yall can hack into those  Cheesy  Going to include the ingame dev tools also, I dont know how many people would be interested in modding it, so a show of hands if im wasting my time implementing this would be nice Smiley
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:30:02 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2010, 11:43:18 PM »

Okay yall, editor has been cleaned up, so its usable now, and ive also been so nice to include some ingame tools and a brief help file, if anyone has any specific questions to level creation just PM me.  If you make some cool levels ill throw them in the build and credit you ofcorse  Grin

Heres a quick rundown:

Yar, this be the ingame dev tools, you can dump down items in real time to exsist in your world, you can also plant rocks, trees, and dirt mounds, though dont place the trees too close together or it might cause some problems.  You can also wipe the level with the x, and open the static world editor... Open this ingame with f8.

And this is the static world editor, pretty much a generic, hard to use, unoptimised editor, this is where all the static objects are placed and scripts are...

If you have any questions though shoot me a pm, ive included a help file with all the script functions also  Grin  Oh and i fixed the fireplace bug, the warp into a wall bug, the house decay, the freezing on main menu when you try to start again, and a few other odds and ends.

More to come, im still working on the new area, grab latest build here:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:49:43 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »

This game is AMAZING.
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »

Good Job Farmergnome, really, good-job!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »

Man this is impressive.

I still think you should fix some of the wall tiles being the same color as background tiles, making it very difficult to differentiate them, especially with the blurred pixel look. I actually think that should be a priority. Sorry if you already fixed that, but I don't remember you even mentioning that issue. Tongue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic