Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:53:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] RUINS: P.A.T. [OVERTIME MODE]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] RUINS: P.A.T. [OVERTIME MODE]  (Read 8966 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:13 AM »

RUINS:
PSYCHHOLLER ACTION TEAM!

Code:
Story    [@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@] 100%! COMPLETE!
Engine   [@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@--] 90%! Currently: Coding enemies and THE BOSS!
Graphics [@@@@@@@@@@@@--------] 60%! Currently: Tilesetting it up, and designing enemy styles!
Campaign [@@@-----------------] 15%! Currently: Beginning the map design!

NOW IN OVERTIME MODE! SCREW THE DEADLINE, LET'S HAVE IT LARGE!

IN A WORLD WHERE LOVE IS AGAINST THE LAW...
A GROUP OF SOLDIER ENTER A RUINATION COMPLEX OF HISTRORY...
AND INSIDE THE DARKNESS INSIDE THEY FIND... THEMSELFS.

Features:
Hand Point Right Fast-paced-ish platform shooter action! Hand Point Left
Hand Point Right Use your powers to fight, trick, and pour coffee for your enemies! Hand Point Left
Hand Point Right Psychic soldier squad mind links! Hand Point Left
Hand Point Right Multiple game paths and strategies! Hand Point Left
Hand Point Right Over 80 hours of gameplay if you are really bad at shooters! Hand Point Left

STORY FROM THE THEORETICAL INSTRUCTION MANUAL
A massive complex has been unearthed at the base of Mount Fuji near 'Station Eden', the last refuge of humanity after the end of the world. From the complex, known to the Edenites as 'Ruins of Elysium', a strange poison begins to emanate, making it impossible to leave 'Station Eden'. The remaining humans send their best and brightest soldiers: 4 super-elite squads of 3 psychic-enhanced killers and technicians, trained to fight, protect, and manipulate anything that may exist within 'Elysium.'

Some may live. Some may die. But no matter what, they must discover the secrets of... the RUINS.

Common Era 2X3X.
The remains of mankind find an artifact known as the YHVH Seed, which provide them with psychic powers. They learn to attack, and defend, and move objects psychically. But many die from the mental strain. Dr. Emmanuel Yoshida of the Station Eden Institute, determines the secret to surviving the use of psychic powers with a technique called 'PSYCHHOLLER'.
PSYCHHOLLER is based on the idea of creating a passive state of psychic activity that occupies ambient space around the user, much like the sound of an active voice. Just as one can replace their hands with psychic force, one can replace their voice to fill ambient space with psychic energy instead of sound.

AE (After Elysium) 14.
Those with an affinity for feeling psycholleric vibrations were trained in four elite squads: "SQUAD GARMR" who specialize in psychic combat, "SQUAD DULLAHAN" who specialize in psychic defense, "SQUAD BASILISK" who specialize in psycholleric effects, and "SQUAD AXEX" who are balanced in their affinities.
The squads work as three-man teams, either separately or together attacking, defending, and psychollering. The more who do each task, the more effective: multiple or stronger attacks, longer lasting and faster recharging shields, and faster psycholleric manipulation. But they have to adjust their tasks on the fly, because ultimately they are just people, and the 'Ragnarok Fallout', a disease that has infected all remaining humans, has made them very vulnerable to physical harm.

GAME CONCEPT
Elysium has 4 entrances. Each one has a different path with slightly branching levels, but all paths lead to the center. Any of the four squads can enter any entrance, with different specialties to aid them, but once you choose an entrance for a squad they cannot return to the surface.
You play the squads in the order that you assign them entrances.
The soldiers act as "lives": they work as a psychically linked team, shooting, shielding, manipulating as one. If one dies, the other two take in their spirit and become more powerful, but more limited in their abilities. If the team dies, well, that section of Elysium remains unexplored and the questions unanswered. The more who make it to the center, the more hope they have of solving the mystery.

Inspired by:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:14:21 AM by Hangedman » Logged

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:40:58 AM »

Psych holler shooting game must become a new genre.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »

Looking forward to how this looks.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »

STORY FROM THE THEORETICAL INSTRUCTION MANUAL
A massive complex has been unearthed at the base of Mount Fuji near 'Station Eden', the last refuge of humanity after the end of the world. From the complex, known to the Edenites as 'Ruins of Elysium', a strange poison begins to emanate, making it impossible to leave 'Station Eden'. The remaining humans send their best and brightest soldiers: 4 super-elite squads of 3 psychic-enhanced killers and technicians, trained to fight, protect, and manipulate anything that may exist within 'Elysium.'

Some may live. Some may die. But no matter what, they must discover the secrets of... the RUINS.

GAME CONCEPT
Elysium has 4 entrances. Each one has a different path with slightly branching levels, but all paths lead to the center. Any of the four squads can enter any entrance, with different specialties to aid them, but once you choose an entrance for a squad they cannot return to the surface.
You play the squads in the order that you assign them entrances.
The soldiers act as "lives": they work as a psychically linked team, shooting, shielding, manipulating as one. If one dies, the other two take in their spirit and become more powerful, but more limited in their abilities. If the team dies, well, that section of Elysium remains unexplored and the questions unanswered. The more who make it to the center, the more hope they have of solving the mystery.

I'm going to be making it NES/SNES style, but no limitations. Either in Flashpunk or in Construct if I get frustrated with Flashpunk.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:00:13 PM by Hangedman » Logged

AUST
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:10:15 PM »

That sounds amazing. Is this going to be top-down, side-on...?

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »

I really like the sound of that; I wish you the best of luck in completing this, if for no other reason than I'll get to play it when you're done  Big Laff
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 06:51:02 PM »

Side-on shooty platforming, mostly linear with some decisions that allow different paths. Also, certain teams who take certain paths will find certain things that  Ninja

AUST
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »

The very first teaser:

ATTENTION!

I want more classic rock ballad lyrics to use as death messages!
If you can think of any at all, please pass them along here or in IRC, along with the name of the song. However, I am expressly looking to NOT use the names of songs (too obvious.)

AUST
Saker
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:12:24 AM »

Anything by Nirvana , maybe  Who, Me?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »

MORE FROM THE MANUEL

Common Era 2X3X.
The remains of mankind find an artifact known as the YHVH Seed, which provide them with psychic powers. They learn to attack, and defend, and move objects psychically. But many die from the mental strain. Dr. Emmanuel Yoshida of the Station Eden Institute, determines the secret to surviving the use of psychic powers with a technique called 'PSYCHHOLLER'.
PSYCHHOLLER is based on the idea of creating a passive state of psychic activity that occupies ambient space around the user, much like the sound of an active voice. Just as one can replace their hands with psychic force, one can replace their voice to fill ambient space with psychic energy instead of sound.

AE (After Elysium) 14.
Those with an affinity for feeling psycholleric vibrations were trained in four elite squads: "SQUAD GARMR" who specialize in psychic combat, "SQUAD DULLAHAN" who specialize in psychic defense, "SQUAD BASILISK" who specialize in psycholleric effects, and "SQUAD AXEX" who are balanced in their affinities.
The squads work as three-man teams, either separately or together attacking, defending, and psychollering. The more who do each task, the more effective: multiple or stronger attacks, longer lasting and faster recharging shields, and faster psycholleric manipulation. But they have to adjust their tasks on the fly, because ultimately they are just people, and the 'Ragnarok Fallout', a disease that has infected all remaining humans, has made them very vulnerable to physical harm.

AUST
Inzaniak
Level 0

Il Pazzo Pazzini!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:01:17 AM »

Hand Point Right Over 80 hours of gameplay if you are really bad at shooters! Hand Point Left

OMG, that's epic!!! Good luck for your project!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 01:17:43 AM »

This sounds like it is going to be a very interesting experience. Can't wait to play the actual game!
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 01:22:36 AM »

I concure, this sounds like it'll be very interesting!
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:04:35 AM »

i aint no psych holler back girl
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 04:18:34 AM »

I think I want to holler like a psycho right now. Can't wait to get my grubby fingers on a playable version of this.  Kiss

Also, how's "Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams", from "Epitaph" by King Crimson for a death message?
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 06:21:31 AM »

Also, how's "Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams", from "Epitaph" by King Crimson for a death message?

Classy!
Although possibly too serious.

Looking for things that are only depressing when taken out of context.

AUST
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »

Finally, a temporary game screen.

The background is just a placeholder, I'm basically doing everything else before I get to the level design itself. Tilesets are in the works.
Upper left is my HUD that cycles Earthbound-style through your team members' abilities, and shield.

Don't mind the stupid looking bullets, they will be gone soon too.

First thread will contain all the stuffs from now on, just for the sake of convenience.

AUST
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »

I'M NOT DEAD YET.

Went back to Construct, and did in 2 days what it took 2 weeks to do in flash.
Almost done with the mechanics, and then I can just replace all my placeholders and get the maps going. I may not finish completely for the end of the compo, but I will do a compo build, and will complete it afterwards.

I haven't been posting much because I'm not fond of making alpha builds, as I tend to attack random bugs and things that need coding in no particular order, so only I know what works and what doesn't at any given moment.

SQUAD, ASSEMBLE!

AUST
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »

Pretty.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 07:11:05 AM »

THIS IS A FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT: Tiger

I will not be finishing this game in time, as not only would I have to work like crazy to get it done on time, I finally got a tiny bit of vacation time and the chance to go out of town.
On top of this, I realized that this game needs more time and more work and I want to keep at it.
So in an effort to save my sanity and the sanity of my collaborators, I am withdrawing from the competition.
However, the game will go on, and now I'm going to put some good long-term work into it.
This will actually become a real game with real work and real stuff like that.
Please come along with me: we'll laugh, we'll cry, we'll make games about strange things with messiah complexes.

TL;DR: SCREW THE DEADLINE, LET'S HAVE IT LARGE
  Hand Joystick Big Laff Hand Joystick

AUST
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic