Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:14:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] ∞ bit [FINISHED] + source code
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] ∞ bit [FINISHED] + source code  (Read 22031 times)
VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:38:09 PM »

∞ bit

Description

Travel from waystation to waystation along the unending corridor of the ∞ bit.  Fly your escape pod, run and jump, collect upgrades.  Reach infinity!

Features

-Two gameplay modes
-Puzzle Platforming
-Arcade action flight
-Upgrades to collect
-Awesome music

Download

Download ∞ bit for Windows
Mirror 1

Download source code
(Requires at least AGS 3.2 Final 5)

Inspired by

How to play

There are two modes of play: Hero and Escape Pod.

===Hero===

As hero, you must run around the waystations of the Infinity Bit's cooridor collecting upgrades that will help your escape pod make it to the next waystation.

Left & Right/A & D keys: Move Hero around.

Up/W keys: Jump.

Down/S keys: Enter or Unlock a door.

Left Mouse button: Fire the gun (once you have collected it).

Move the mouse: "Bend" your shots by moving the Infinity Cooridor.

Save tiles: Stand on one to automatically save your game.  You will continue here if you die.

Gas tiles: Fill up your ship while standing on one of these.  Wait until it's full before boarding, you may need that gas!

Jump into your escape pod when you're ready to fly to the next waystation!

===Escape Pod===

Once you're in your pod, you have no defenses.  You have to avoid all obstacles.

Move the mouse: Steer the ship.  Your ships maneuverability can be upgraded.

Up & Down/W & S keys: Increase or decrease speed, respectively.  You may need to go faster to make your destination before your gas runs out.  But maneuvering will become more difficult at high speeds.

Gas: Watch your gas level.  If you run out, you can only drift a short distance before crashing.

Video

Screenshots

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:36:26 AM by VinceTwelve » Logged

adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:28:29 PM »

I was going to do this one, but everything I thought of was basically

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »

good luck! this one caught my eye too, but I couldn't really think of anything interesting to do with it. Shrug I'm sure you're more than capable though! can't wait to see what you come up with Grin

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »

The original description was rather cool. Stage 1 would be one NES game, then Stage 2 would be from a different NES game, and so on ad infinitum.

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 06:18:59 AM »

Shit's underway.

I was going to do this one, but everything I thought of was basically

Huh.  I hadn't seen that Jumpman before.  WTF  I'm planning on a couple different minigames centered around the theme.  One minigame idea is pretty much like that, but I think there should be enough differentiating it to make it unique.  I hope!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:47:57 AM by VinceTwelve » Logged

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »

First part of the game is flying a spaceship through the tunnel of infinity dodging stuff.  I've got the game working with mappy, so I can quickly build the levels.  And gameplay is starting to come together for the flying portion.

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:45:53 PM »

Changed the name from "Infinity Bit Computer" to just "Infinity Bit" which rolls off the tongue a lot easier.  The overall structure of the game is taking shape.

The game will include platforming sections interspersed with space flight sections.  You will land your craft on small outposts, and platform around shooting enemies to collect gas and upgrades for your ship.  You will need these upgrades to make it to the next outpost.  For example, a bigger gas tank or faster boosters to get you through a longer flight or better wings to improve your mobility for negotiating difficult obstacles.  So there are some light RPG elements.

Flight gameplay is working pretty well right now with the upgradeable ship.  I've got to do up the gas and speed GUIs for the ship and then it's on to the platforming sections.

Alpha with flight section to come tomorrow if I get enough time.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:25:58 AM »

I'm liking the direction you're taking with this.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »

Refactored the code today.  Cowboy coding left it in such a mess that I was worried about being able to add the platforming code.  It's much cleaner now.  Have I mentioned this is being built in Adventure Game Studio?  Not really par for the course for the engine. Tongue

Here's the first Alpha.  The space flight controls are in but may need some tweaking for sensitivity.  There is no real challenge here, you just dodge a couple walls.

Press space to start.  Use up/down  or w/s to increase/decrease speed.  Press Return to cycle through the maneuverability levels (this will upgrade as you play the game in the full version, here you can just try out the sensitivity on the different levels).

Check it out!  I'd love to hear what you think so far!

Download Alpha 0.1
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:30:06 AM by VinceTwelve » Logged

Snow
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 10:14:47 PM »

Just tried it, can't move forward. Also the ship stays in the middle of the first image. The others move though when you move the mouse. If that's what you intended.. then it's not the spoon you are bending, instead, you're bending yourself. Tongue

I really like that you used the actual image of the case for the game... 5 NEAT! Looking forward to this one as well. Also, how hard is it to do a pseudo 3d game like that?
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »

4452! I think.

Took me a few tries to get through, though it was easier once I started using the manueverability options.

Very nice game! The art style is delightful. Very interested to see where you go with it!

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 11:29:33 PM »

Just tried it, can't move forward. Also the ship stays in the middle of the first image. The others move though when you move the mouse. If that's what you intended.. then it's not the spoon you are bending, instead, you're bending yourself. Tongue

I'm getting the same. The mouse works okay (so does escape) but the forwards and backward keys don't do anything.

Just a thought on the art style - are you going to have the game elements look like they are printed on to the cases?

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44:12 AM »

Pistaco and Snow, were the cases zooming forward?  (Not just sliding around)  You might have to press space twice!  Once to clear that message and once to start them going.  Then when you move the mouse, the ship should dodge around the screen.  If the cases are zooming forward but the ship remains stuck then I broke something!

Sounds like it worked for Cavalcadeofcats though!

Thanks for trying it out!

Just a thought on the art style - are you going to have the game elements look like they are printed on to the cases?

That's the idea!  Art will always exist inside one of the case labels.  Though I may have some things pop off like projectiles moving toward the player.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 04:28:26 AM »

I like how you made the box art part of the actual game. Very clever.

Game was fun, but ran a bit slow on my 3-year-old Macbook running WinXP via Bootcamp. Also, I thought having to press Space and F9 twice was a bit confusing and unnecessary. The obstacles appear on screen a tad late and it sometimes took me a bit to make them out visually.
VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 05:11:18 AM »

Thanks!  I've got one of them 3 year old Macbooks running Bootcamp too, so I'll have to test it out.  There's definitely some optimization that needs to be done.  I'm drawing some frames every cycle that don't need to be drawn, etc.  So, I'll take a look at that.

Sorry about having to press the buttons twice.  It won't be like that in the final game when there's an actual menu to start the game.  I just popped those messages on just before zipping up the alpha and forgot that you'd have to press a key to clear the messages before you could give any game input.

Snow
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »

Pistaco and Snow, were the cases zooming forward?  (Not just sliding around)  You might have to press space twice!  Once to clear that message and once to start them going.  Then when you move the mouse, the ship should dodge around the screen.  If the cases are zooming forward but the ship remains stuck then I broke something!

Sounds like it worked for Cavalcadeofcats though!

Thanks for trying it out!

Hmm, I think I hit space twice. I tried the game on Windows XP Pro. Will download again on a different computer to try it out. I can't wait to see how far you get with this. It kind of reminds me of when I was a kid - at the time I wasn't allowed to play video games... tool of the devil blah blah blah. Still I was so enthralled by anything "video game" that I would look at things and mentally make video games out of them. Tongue So yeah, do your best.
VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »

Got the base platforming code in.  Running and jumping.  Collisions.  Easier said than done in AGS, but I had always wanted trying to build a platformer in the engine.  Turned out pretty nice.  Next step is adding in traps, doors, and save platforms.  Then enemies and shooting.  Should have an hour or so tonight to work on things.  I'll probably post a new alpha tonight with whatever I get done.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:58:39 PM by VinceTwelve » Logged

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 02:15:09 PM »

http://www.xiigames.com/files/infinitybit/InfinityBit0.2.zip

New Alpha.  Just kind of demonstrating the jump'n and run'n.

Arrow keys to move dude.  Jump into ship to take off.  Mouse controls ship.  If you die you'll have to press F9 to restart.

Still to do: (lots!)

-Doors leading between levels.
-spike traps
-Items/powerups
-enemies
-shooting (player will shoot through the levels away from the screen to kill enemies and break barriers.  Possibly be able to "bend" shots by moving the levels with the mouse.)
-landing the ship
-Level design!!!
-saving/loading
-probably more

Let me know if the jumping feels natural or needs tweaking.  It's coded from scratch.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 09:41:16 PM by VinceTwelve » Logged

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »

New Alpha 3!  I added a simple particle system to make things asplode.  Tweaked a number of other things to optimize drawing and to make room for future gameplay.  Also improved the game's ability to interface with Mappy.

I just tested this out on a better machine than the one I'm developing on and the game goes way too fast.  Stupid dev machine.  I'll have to slow some things down a lot.  Let me know if you're experiencing things going faster than you think they should.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 12:53:42 AM »

I tried alpha 3. The controls work now, but I'm getting a really low frame-rate, which, together with the weird way the perspective works, makes it hard to get far without banging in to something. I'm running it on a rather old computer.

Also, what's up with the "winsetup.exe" file that comes with it?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic