Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:34:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Me and myself, like the sun and the moon [DEMO]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Me and myself, like the sun and the moon [DEMO]  (Read 14676 times)
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »

Me and myself, like the sun and the moon

Description

A Dramatic action RPG NES/Famicom style.
             Inspired by

Download
Windows: https://sites.google.com/site/orugames/meandmyself.zip

How to play

X- Action/Talk/Shoot weapon
Z- Reload weapon
Arrows - Move

COMBAT

- When you are fighting monsters your objective is to kill them.

- You can escape by running away to the right side of the screen. But you will get no experience points or money from the monsters you killed (if any).

- When your weapon runs out of bullets you gotta reload it with bullets from your stock, if your stock is empty, bullets will appear on the battle field, but you gotta be quick to get them before they disappear. New bullets will only appear when you have no bullets loaded in your weapon and you have in stock no more than a full load of bullets.

TEASER

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:08:07 PM by guillermo » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »

What an interesting concept.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:43:36 PM »

Graphics are gonna be Famicom like, using same resolution and color palette/limitations.

I just pixelated the characters to look like the ones on the cover.  Gentleman

The storyline is gonna be based somewhat on the horrible automatic translations I got about this game.

more to come...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 06:10:00 PM by guillermo » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 06:07:15 PM »

sweet, sounds awesome. those are the coolest characters ever
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:55:36 PM »

PLEASE please please, for the love of everything that is brilliant:

name them Vincent and Jules.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
rottendevice
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:49:14 PM »

I love the pixel art so far!  Can't wait to see how this turns out!
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »

Thanks for the comments! Hahah, sorry I can't name the characters Vincent and Jules, I know where the reference comes from though  Cheesy

I have been defining the style and coming up with concepts and ideas.

I changed the graphic style as I want it to look more "spooky" (to 8-bit standards, that's it) it will look less cute and will have heavy use of contrasts.

Some gameplay ideas I came up with:

- You get to control different characters during the game, so you can see the story from different points of view.

- Combat is action based but not like Zelda or similar games, if monsters catch you on the field you go to a special screen where the battle takes place (kinda like Zelda II).

more to come...  Smiley

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 04:36:50 PM »

I worked today on the game engine and the battle engine.

In battle you are taken to a single screen where a random number of enemies appear depending on the territory you are caught (like in most RPG's).

This stage is also randomly generated so you fight in different screens everytime you get caught.

You attack with long distance weapons. You bullets are limited so it's part of the strategy to use them well in battle. If you run out of bullets a box of bullets will appear after some time at a random position. But that's no excuse to go trigger happy, your accuracy affter a battle will help determine the EXP points you get.

You can get all sort of fire weapons to improve your attack power. As well as defensive items.

When a battle starts you are positioned on the left side of the screen, on the right there's a barrier that prevents you from escaping. If you destroy it you can run away. It varies how resistent this barrier is. (a good way to simulate run away chances in traidtional jRPG's).

more to come...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »

Neat graphics. Gameplay and sounds a bit like Zelda 2, and thus, should be right up my alley. Looking forward to it.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 06:00:06 PM »

Wow, that sounds pretty awesome. Can't wait to play it!
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »

For what ever reason, I want to see that masked guy do a TTD on the other guy.  Big Laff
Looking mint. I hope this turns out good.

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:34 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

Of course it takes some Zelda II inspiration but this is a top-down view only game Well, hello there! it's probably more like Super Ninja Boy in the battle department. But hopefully better.

haha no wrestling moves this time Big Laff but shooting action is guaranteed  Hand Any Key Addicted

Kinda a devlog update, today I was working on many of the algorithms involved in the battle system. Enemy positions on the battle field, number of enemies per battle, kind of enemies per zone, automated enemy party creation based on player current level + map zone, etc.

I'm starting with the part I can't show much of, but once I get to the graphics and sound part I promise I'll come here to share some media so you can give me your opinion. Have a nice weekend!  Coffee

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

Hi, I'm sorry for the lack of updates, I've been working on this HARD since day one, but I just got to the part I have something to show.  Well, hello there!

I once again had to change the graphical style, having smaller characters now.

I'll probably not talk too much about the plot, it's part of the magic, to experience it not knowing what to expect. The story is set in modern times, in a small forest town. The theme is mature and full of suspense and mystery.

Combat is action based but you need some degree of strategy to succeed. You attack only with fire weapons. Managing your ammo and the distance/timing of your shots is important.

As in most RPG's you have several stats, you can level up, there's a monetary system, you can use and equip items, talk to people, etc.

I'll leave you with two new screens:

**game doesn't look shitty like that, that's just a CRT TV effect for the nostalgics like myself   Huh?

also, I've got the eye of the tiger, motherfuckers! Tiger

thanks for reading!  Coffee

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 03:37:25 PM »

That's looking awesome. Kiss

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »

The shadow under the cars looks pretty weird.

Looks great otherwise, though. Very excited to get to play this!

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »

man this looks awesome, cant wait to play it  Grin

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 09:22:57 PM »

I love Famicom style tiles. Yahoo to you.

|
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 04:39:01 AM »

The shadow under the cars looks pretty weird.

Looks great otherwise, though. Very excited to get to play this!

haha you are right, I just pasted the shadow I had from the walls but it doesn't look too good, I'm gonna fix that. Thanks for pointing that out, sometimes fresh eyes can spot stuff you can't when you have been staring at the same graphics for so long. Tongue

Thanks for the comments, I'll keep on working hard to deliver. Gentleman

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »

alright, since I decided to make this game I knew I wasn't really gonna finish it, I mean it's an RPG, but I still wanted to submit a demo.

It isn't as lenghty or polished as I expected despite I worked really hard the whole month.

Still a good intro as what is to come. The full game has a release date of September 15th. I hope you like it and you can give me some good feedback. There are a lot of bugs and unfinished stuff, I'm fully aware of it, but still let me know if you find something weird.

I'm really tired now, starting tomorrow I'll relax for some days and will start checking out what you guys have done. Congrats to all who participated, it was really fun! I know there are a lot of good games out there, I'll check'em out and give my feedback. Cheers.  Coffee

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 12:02:27 PM »

Excellent work !
Sincerely genuine to the inspirational famicase you've chose.

Btw, what language or engine was used to make this game, just curious ? Tiger

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic