Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 04:08:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Ikow: International King of Wine [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Ikow: International King of Wine [FINISHED]  (Read 48784 times)
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »

International King of Wine

Description

Travel around the world! Taste wines! Chain together long, absurd strings of adjectives - either to elevate the wine to the highest pinnacles of sommelier acclaim, or the lowest depths of disgusting dudgeon! Build a reputation for taste and wit, and claim your throne as the International King of Wine!

FEATURES:

• Up to seven exciting stages, from San Francisco to Sydney to Paris!
  • A large number of adjectives, from words like 'intriguing' and 'harmonious', to the dreaded 'oaky'! (some words listed may not actually be in the game)
             Inspired by

Download
Here!
How to Play
Move with the arrow keys or WASD. Drink nouns to gain the BLUE GLOW OF INSPIRATION, then drink adjectives to INCREASE or DECREASE the rating you give the wine! Deliver ASTONISHINGLY DEVASTATING or INSANELY POSITIVE reviews. Win fans for your eloquence and wit! BECOME THE KING.

(USEFUL TIP: hold 'down' to fast-fall!)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 02:00:16 PM by Cavalcadeofcats » Logged

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »

ha!  Gentleman
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »

I was hoping someone would do this one justice! Bravo!
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »

This sounds fantastic! Love the concept+title.

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »

Thanks for all the positive comments! We can make something beautiful here, you guys. Together.

For now - here's a physics test!

I'm informed that it's "floaty", which may or may not be an issue.

And others on my site.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »

I like the floaty. I think floaty would work best for this game.

BUT I think the horizontal speed needs to be much higher.

The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »

Criticism simulators are sorely absent from the annals of video game history. Godspeed!

A Game By Its Cover Entry: Burp'N'Shoot
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »

I like the floaty. I think floaty would work best for this game.

BUT I think the horizontal speed needs to be much higher.

I agree!

And others on my site.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 06:56:27 PM »

Don't make holding the jump button jump indefinitely. Make it only jump once when the button is pressed. In Flixel that would be:

Code:
if (FlxG.keys.justPressed("UP")) <jump here>;

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »

Don't make holding the jump button jump indefinitely. Make it only jump once when the button is pressed. In Flixel that would be:

Code:
if (FlxG.keys.justPressed("UP")) <jump here>;
I know that! It's a Mario-style hold-jump. The parameters are - admittedly - still being tweaked. But my jump sets the velocity to -300; so if it was jumping whenever you pressed the button, you'd fly forever into the sky! This does not occur in my tests.

(though the fact that you thought it was jumping continuously... perhaps betrays a problem)

-

New prototype: here! Only one word of a type, horrible font-size issues, and of course no art (and only one stage, etc, etc, etc), but I think it is Really Coming Along!

And others on my site.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 10:42:54 PM »

I already like where this is headed.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 10:55:51 PM »

I don't think you understand. The fact is that as long as I hold the jump button, I keep jumping every time I land on the ground, and that doesn't feel right.

IngisKahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 06:25:48 AM »

Can't wait.

FYI: Meiteioh is a funny title: Meitei means intoxication and teioh means emperor.  So I guess it would mean something like Intoxiking. :p  (The top of the cart says Merci Computer.)

The game description from http://ginsyokutei.com/game/note/note-23.html:
Taste the world's delicious wines and claim your place as the drunkenness king!
An out-of-control new sensation action game.
Try clearing stages while enjoying a frequently drunken state.
Completely disrupting sight-seeing areas, breaking into the minus stages...
Surpassing B-grade, Z-grade ZETTO gives a memorable first shot.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »

I don't think you understand. The fact is that as long as I hold the jump button, I keep jumping every time I land on the ground, and that doesn't feel right.
Ah! I see. I considered that a bonus, myself - but I tried it your way, and I think it might be slightly better. Thank you!

FYI: Meiteioh is a funny title: Meitei means intoxication and teioh means emperor.  So I guess it would mean something like Intoxiking. :p
Ha! That makes sense.

The game description from http://ginsyokutei.com/game/note/note-23.html:
Taste the world's delicious wines and claim your place as the drunkenness king!
An out-of-control new sensation action game.
Try clearing stages while enjoying a frequently drunken state.
Completely disrupting sight-seeing areas, breaking into the minus stages...
Surpassing B-grade, Z-grade ZETTO gives a memorable first shot.

Ah! I hadn't spotted that description. Luckily, it already fits quite closely with what I was planning. Thanks for translating it for me.

-

New prototype version is up. Some physics tweaks (the player is a bit heavier now), and some major changes to the scoring: there's a 'combo bonus' for collecting multiple adjectives of a type (positive or negative) without attaching them to a noun, but collecting an adjective of the opposite type will wipe out your score - so there's a risk-reward thing going! That is game design.

-

EDIT: Just noticed that the compo ends on July 31st, not June 31st, as I'd read. (There isn't even a June 31st!) That... changes things.

(No wonder no-one else has prototypes up!)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:43:12 AM by Cavalcadeofcats » Logged

And others on my site.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:57 PM »

I'm still wondering if I'm giving people too much time. Oh well.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »

"I would describe this vintage as having a... refined, but on the other hand, rather vinegaresque body; a refined, but on the other hand, rather vinegaresque, vinegaresque, but on the other hand, a rather refined body; but on the other hand, a rather refined, refined, refined, refined, refined body; a refined body..."

Tears of Joy
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 10:35:17 PM »

"I would describe this vintage as having a... refined, but on the other hand, rather vinegaresque body; a refined, but on the other hand, rather vinegaresque, vinegaresque, but on the other hand, a rather refined body; but on the other hand, a rather refined, refined, refined, refined, refined body; a refined body..."

Tears of Joy
The plan is to have a larger vocabulary in the finished game... but it will always be extremely silly.

-

Meanwhile: new version up! DRUNKENNESS EFFECTS ARE IN. Warning: may cause motion sickness!

(Also there's a rather abrupt 1:30 time limit, after which the level resets; there's an indicator displayed bottom-center. Later, it will switch levels instead.)

PLANNED TO IMPROVE DRUNKENNESS:
  • Tweak motion! Currently it circles endlessly; it should probably sway back and forth instead.
  • Impair player movement! The player should have a harder and harder time controlling their movement as they get drunker. Perhaps a simulated-increased 'controller latency'...?
  • Tween drunkenness-level increases! Currently there's a noticable jerk whenever you drink a new adjective; this is undesirable.

Possibly related to that last: Drunkenness was planned as a counter to using excessive adjectives on a single noun (it'd be possible, but harder and harder as you get more adjectives, and grow correspondingly drunker!), so it resets whenever your combo does. In the process of implementing it, though, I added a combo cap (1600 points - to prevent the drunkenness from freaking out when you get too high a combo), and it's rather odd that drinking nouns makes you less drunk. Perhaps I should make it proportionate to the amount you've drunk so far, instead...? And drop over time, as you sober up - but becoming too sober drops you out of the Realm of Imagination in which you compose your wine-reviews, and gives you a game over...?

I'll have to fiddle!

And others on my site.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:49:25 PM »

I believe that making it so you have to alternately try to get words until you get too drunk, and then you have to start dodging.

Also, the 'bad adjectives' should be misspelled, bad vocabulary, or really immature words, like "tastes like butt", "quite unplezent" or "really really bad, really bad"
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »

I believe that making it so you have to alternately try to get words until you get too drunk, and then you have to start dodging.
That wasn't actually a sentence!

Also, the 'bad adjectives' should be misspelled, bad vocabulary, or really immature words, like "tastes like butt", "quite unplezent" or "really really bad, really bad"
Maybe! I'll experiment.

-

Controller latency is IN. It was surprisingly easy to implement! Also tremendously delightful in play. (And... nauseating. But isn't that part of the fun?)

(I may want to tone the blurdrunk effect down a notch or two.)

And others on my site.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »

Oops, forgot to add the end. Lemme just rewrite that part then.

Perhaps you could make it so accumulating words makes you drunk, and when you reacha  certain amount of intoxication you have to start getting sober, by dodging words instead of gaining them. It would be a nice 'twist' of the goal. It would also encourage drinking in moderation instead of binge drinking (Cheesy). (Collecting enough to get a good score, but not too much at once.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic