Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:47:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Ikow: International King of Wine [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Ikow: International King of Wine [FINISHED]  (Read 48804 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 06:29:52 AM »

There should be a pot for spitting out the wine as wine tasters do, to make you less drunk, but it periodically moves around or something.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »

Oops, forgot to add the end. Lemme just rewrite that part then.

Perhaps you could make it so accumulating words makes you drunk, and when you reacha  certain amount of intoxication you have to start getting sober, by dodging words instead of gaining them. It would be a nice 'twist' of the goal. It would also encourage drinking in moderation instead of binge drinking (Cheesy). (Collecting enough to get a good score, but not too much at once.)
There should be a pot for spitting out the wine as wine tasters do, to make you less drunk, but it periodically moves around or something.

Two ideas that taste great together! They're both in, along with a new, realistic STAR RATING. See if you can get a five-star or zero-star rating! It's actually kinda tricky.

Next up, I think: more levels!

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 06:42:19 PM »

This is going to be a very fun game, I'm sure.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 12:34:38 AM »

This is going to be a very fun game, I'm sure.
Nope! It is completely doomed, and will be terrible. I've read my fate in the stars!

But until then: must struggle on.

Currently working on adding sloped floors (for Level 2!), but having difficulty. Flixel doesn't have any built-in support for slopes, the only code I could find is many many versions obsolete, and adding new collision-models to Flixel is... owing to its structure, kinda tricky! (Most of the work is done in FlxU, so changing it would require going under the hood with the engine...)

...I'll figure something out sooner or later, but if anyone has any advice, please let me know!

(I tried the obvious hack - just cobbling together a bunch of squares to simulate a slope. It works, but the frame-rate hit from the massive increase in colliding-solids is pretty much intolerable.)

And others on my site.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »

I didn't get a frame rate drop at all.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:25 PM »

I didn't get a frame rate drop at all.
Interesting!

On further experimentation, it turns out that I was getting a frame-rate drop regardless, with enough wine on the screen. The crude slope implementation exacerbated it, but didn't create it...

...anyway. New version up! It has multiple new features. See if you can spot them all!

And others on my site.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 07:11:43 AM »

This is a really neat concept... It plays pretty well so far, but I feel like it's a little too simple right now. There are a lot of things you could do to add interest/variety... Presumably you have plans, but it's worth noting anyhow.

Did you plan on doing all of the graphics and music yourself?
I would consider it a joy to provide both, if you would like that. Smiley

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »

This is a really neat concept... It plays pretty well so far, but I feel like it's a little too simple right now. There are a lot of things you could do to add interest/variety... Presumably you have plans, but it's worth noting anyhow.

Yeah, I basically agree. It's fine for a first level, I think - maybe even without the water-drops? - but it needs more mechanics, more elements, in later ones. The design was originally for a 3-day project, and it's proving a little bit tricky to flesh it out to a 30-day one... I'm going to definitely take some time today or tomorrow for some intense brainstorming, for that very reason.

Did you plan on doing all of the graphics and music yourself?
I would consider it a joy to provide both, if you would like that. Smiley

Well, I was planning on just leaving it in its current style...

Haha! Joking. No, I have SECRET PLANS for the graphics (I'll PM you about those), but I had no idea about what to do for the music. I'd be happy to collaborate with you on either or both!

And others on my site.
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2010, 04:16:58 AM »

I've been enjoying the drunken motion effect a lot on this game as well as the crazy concept too. I tried playing a bunch without reading what the letters meant and wasn't able to figure it out. I was thinking they represented chemicals in the wine for some reason but now that I read the description that they are adjectives and nouns that makes a lot more sense and I really like that.

I also think the reversal mechanic would be awesome where you have to dodge at some point as well as the suggestion that as you approach your most drunk you use increasingly less professional words.

Quite a cerebral concept this game and a challenge to pull off for sure but seems you are making very impressive strides on capturing it with your prototype!

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2010, 04:42:41 AM »

I also had a lot of fun with the drunken mechanics of this, really looking forward to seeing this realised with less placeholder graphics and more descriptive wine tasting.

yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »

Perhaps it could be that better words ("herbaceous") are smaller, faster moving, and harder to grab, but give lots of points; however, as you get drunker, you have to resort to grabbing simpler and simpler ones ("grape-y") since they're the only ones you can catch.  Maybe at the end you get a score multiplier for consistently sounding erudite?
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 08:01:18 PM »

I've been enjoying the drunken motion effect a lot on this game as well as the crazy concept too. I tried playing a bunch without reading what the letters meant and wasn't able to figure it out. I was thinking they represented chemicals in the wine for some reason but now that I read the description that they are adjectives and nouns that makes a lot more sense and I really like that.

Yeah, the game isn't really very player-friendly right now. Sorry about that. It was an intentionally low priority so far; but, equally, as the mechanics solidify, it's one of the things I plan to focus on later.

I also think the reversal mechanic would be awesome where you have to dodge at some point as well as the suggestion that as you approach your most drunk you use increasingly less professional words.

About dodging: Right now I'm doing something like that already. There are times when you'd want to dodge everything. If you're trying to get a positive review, you avoid negative adjectives, and vice-versa. If you're trying to build up a big combo, or if you accidentally picked up an adjective of the wrong color, you avoid nouns. If you have a combo in hand, you avoid water. (Because water both cures drunkenness and wipes out your combo.) The mechanics may not have been clear to you (and, if so, that's no-one's fault but mine), but I'm very happy when it comes to the seeking/dodging dynamic as it stands.

For the other thing...

Perhaps it could be that better words ("herbaceous") are smaller, faster moving, and harder to grab, but give lots of points; however, as you get drunker, you have to resort to grabbing simpler and simpler ones ("grape-y") since they're the only ones you can catch.  Maybe at the end you get a score multiplier for consistently sounding erudite?

...that is an excellent idea, and helps solve a design problem I've been slamming my head into.

Thank you!

I also had a lot of fun with the drunken mechanics of this, really looking forward to seeing this realised with less placeholder graphics and more descriptive wine tasting.

Heh. "More descriptive wine tasting" has and continues to be a focus of development, but for 'less placeholder graphics'...

...heh heh heh.

Some very nice things are coming your way.

-

New release! Now with TWO LEVELS. (Play through the first level to get to the second; a level-select screen will probably be the next thing to go in.) Extra bonus points for the first person to figure out what the new level is supposed to be!

And others on my site.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »

Just wanted to say i love where this is going. The wine description is hilarious to read as it pops up!

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 10:56:06 PM »

Just wanted to say i love where this is going. The wine description is hilarious to read as it pops up!

Thanks!

-

The nightly build is up. Now in: an (admittedly minimalistic) world map, saved progress, and a new AURA SYSTEM! It is very fancy.

Next up: a new score system, and ERUDITION!

And others on my site.
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 12:01:44 AM »

I'm a little worried that the different levels feel a little samey gameplay wise so far, is there anything you could do to encourage players to try substantially different play styles?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 01:57:41 AM »

Moving platforms, death pits, etc.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »

Oh man, the inebriation aspect is great!  It's like you've made a biographical game about my life!

I'm an international wine taster, by the way.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2010, 06:28:26 PM »

I'm a little worried that the different levels feel a little samey gameplay wise so far, is there anything you could do to encourage players to try substantially different play styles?
Moving platforms, death pits, etc.
A valid concern! Moving platforms could be good! Not so sure about the death pits. Here's a new version that has some odder levels - I think they need quite a bit of tweaking before I'd be happy with them, but they're a start, eh?

Oh man, the inebriation aspect is great!  It's like you've made a biographical game about my life!

I'm an international wine taster, by the way.
Who isn't?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 11:26:03 PM by Cavalcadeofcats » Logged

And others on my site.
jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »

Oh, this is going to be wonderful. Currently I don't see much purpose in climbing to higher platforms, however; you get bombarded with adjectives too fast to string together a positive combo, and even more so when you're drunk.

New release! Now with TWO LEVELS. (Play through the first level to get to the second; a level-select screen will probably be the next thing to go in.) Extra bonus points for the first person to figure out what the new level is supposed to be!

It's the Eiffel Tower let's see those points

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »

It's been a while! Here's what I've been working on.

-

Oh, this is going to be wonderful. Currently I don't see much purpose in climbing to higher platforms, however; you get bombarded with adjectives too fast to string together a positive combo, and even more so when you're drunk.

Yeah, I've been thinking about how to solve that problem. Haven't put anything in yet, but... soon.

It's the Eiffel Tower let's see those points

Zero points! It's obviously the Leaning Tower of Pisa. (This is more obvious with the version that has a level-select.)

arguably this was not obvious at all

hence

the joke

And others on my site.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic