Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:24:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Ikow: International King of Wine [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Ikow: International King of Wine [FINISHED]  (Read 48748 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »

You're probably gonna need to add instructions in the game as it's pretty hard to figure out how I should be playing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »

Even unfinished, the premise is highly amusing.

@Melly: As far as I can tell, you grab the adjectives (A) to start scoring, and the nouns (N) to add the score to your total. Green adjectives add to your score and red ones take away a lot.

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »

You're probably gonna need to add instructions in the game as it's pretty hard to figure out how I should be playing.

True. I've been thinking about the details. I'm still working on creating something like a difficulty curve (which so far is just 'removing all negative adjectives from Paris'), but an actual explanation of the various drop-types and goals are needed... my current thought is to add short mixed plot/instruction scrolls before each level (the first time you play them), but that's clumsy - I'm not fond of it. Adding little "+Eloquence" floaters whenever you do something good will help, I think...

...anyway, fiddling is ongoing. The need is recognized.

As far as I can tell, you grab the adjectives (A) to start scoring, and the nouns (N) to add the score to your total. Green adjectives add to your score and red ones take away a lot.

Haha! Nearly true, but missing a little bit. You choose (after the first level) whether to go for a high or low rating; either gets you equally many fans! (A boring, middle-of-the-road rating, on the other hand...)

This naturally only reinforces the need for instructions.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 02:45:14 AM »

Oh, what a genius idea! I originally thought negative adjectives were meant to be 'bad', which is why I suggested the 'vulgar' ones a bit back... but I just didn't see that! Yeah, that makes perfect sense, and it allows for TWO ways to play; go for high, or for low. Great idea!
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2010, 11:11:17 PM »

Agh, I can't make myself happy with the basic mechanics. I just can't!

here's something different

And others on my site.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »

Haha, this is looking pretty good. Love the character sprite.

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2010, 12:06:30 AM »

Haha, this is looking pretty good. Love the character sprite.

It's not mine, of course! (You can tell because it looks good.) The little fellow's the first fruit of my collaboration with Machine Saint. But he is indeed pretty darn great.

(His moustache wiggles when he jumps!)

((also, I've been playing with fonts))
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:45:18 PM by Cavalcadeofcats » Logged

And others on my site.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »

Not quite sure this'll be finished by July 31st - my end should be fine, but the artist has Severe Scheduling Difficulties.

Here's the latest. Comments requested especially on (1) confusing mechanics (are they?), (2) difficulty (per level), and (3) the sound effects.

The sound effects are a work in progress, and I'm not totally sold on the style (of the pickup-noises especially)... the alternative would be something more sfxr-ish. Let me know what you think!

And others on my site.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »

Yeah, if this ends up being run completely into the ground, it will be my fault.
Too many things snuck up on my at once; I should have taken advantage of the time I had earlier, and now it's gone. Sad

Anyhow, it seems like abstract cartoon noises might be better than voices... They're kind of growing on me, but I'm still not sure.

Also, the nouns seem to be having the same problem the green adjectives did earlier. Only one of the images is being used, it seems. And also maybe only two out of three of the green bottles? I don't know;it's kind of hard to tell at that scale, actually (which might just mean it doesn't matter).

New York is still really hard.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 06:57:28 PM by Machine Saint » Logged

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2010, 08:20:10 PM »

Still undecided about the voices.

Several levels made easier. (Including New York.)

Livers imploded.

And others on my site.
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 05:48:55 PM »

I think it's really cool how this turned out!

PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2010, 11:01:06 PM »

done

probably buggy (though I don't know of any), and the filesize is bloated by very large pngs; will compress them and upload a shrunken version when I wake up

let me know about difficulty issues / bugs

sleeping now

And others on my site.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »

I could not get past Beijing. I beat it, but it wouldn't progress to the next level.
Also, the music credits are no longer accurate, yes?

I love all of the new sounds.
This turned out pretty great!

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »

I could not get past Beijing. I beat it, but it wouldn't progress to the next level.

Bug; probably fixed.

Also, the music credits are no longer accurate, yes?

Yep! Fixed.

And others on my site.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2010, 09:10:07 PM »

It seems like the difficulty could be adjusted slightly. It's OK, but the final challenge is pretty hard, and getting 100% of the fans is quite tricky on several of the levels. I mean, it shouldn't be too easy... but it shouldn't be too hard, either.

To the rest of you terrible humans:
Play this game!

...Please.

My music.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »

This is a very good game. It's too difficult for me to finish, but I had a lot of fun with it.

At first, it wasn't entirely clear what to do. Once I understood that 'nouns and adjectives'='blue bottles and green bottles', it was perfectly clear, though.

What I liked best about this game is the importance of balancing different objectives. Green and red bottles were only worthwhile after collecting blue bottles. But if you collected green bottles, you'd need to avoid red bottles, and vice versa. And you needed to avoid collecting any wine when you needed cheese. It's a great balancing act, and I'm sure it only gets more interesting in the later levels.

It helps that the platforming is smooth and responsive.

The graphics are really fantastic, too. All in all, it's a great package.

EDIT: I forgot to add, I found the reviews really hilarious. I loved how they sounded so pretentious, almost like real wine reviews, but they were really just a meaningless series of words determined by the order in which you collected the items.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:36:05 PM by Soulliard » Logged

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2010, 10:57:45 AM »

Just finished the game [first round anyways]

Really great game. The concept was hard to get at first but once I understood the game had a lot of depth.

I really love the art style and music too.

amazing game.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »

Man, it's awesome how far you got with this game. It looks and plays great, even the control latency of when you're drunk feels right. Grin

Unfortunately I could not finish the final level for the life of me. Sad

Maybe soon I will defeat it.

Overall I don't have much to add. It's all wonderfully done, with little exception, and the writing is sharp as a fine wine.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »

Slightly late response, but nevertheless:

Thanks for the complements on the graphics, guys!
They're good to hear. I feel like I may have spent a bit too much time on some of this stuff (the way I went about it was somewhat inefficient, and I've never used anything quite so detailed in a game before), so I'm glad it seems to have been worth the investment.

I still can't finish the final level (second time) either. It's kind of crazy.

It's cool to know this was nominated for best audio; kudos to the mysterious Kevin (who I have, as of yet, had no interaction with at all) for providing the music! The sound effects turned out really well, too, of course.

My music.
RCIX
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2010, 03:50:00 AM »

Very funny, fun, and pretty challenging! However, once i got to New York, i couldn't manage both making a consistently positive and witty review, and managing my drunkenness to not lose my liver.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic