Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:15:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Climb [FINISHED] [SOURCE]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Climb [FINISHED] [SOURCE]  (Read 13917 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 09:32:13 PM »

Played it, mighty enjoyable. Takes a while to get used to the momentum, but overall it feels very nice, and looks mighty authentic. Beer! Music is a bit repetitive though.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 10:36:43 PM »

Played it, mighty enjoyable. Takes a while to get used to the momentum, but overall it feels very nice, and looks mighty authentic. Beer!

Hey, thanks dude.  I'm glad it's so mighty.

Music is a bit repetitive though.

Yeah, I'm thinking I should maybe start at least trying to make music for my future games; seems like the next logical step in the development process.

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »

That music is sooo annoying after a while. I was rubbish at this until I figured out that I could change the length of the rope whilst swinging. That makes the game far easier, although it is still challenging. The retro aesthetic is nice. It did take me a while to realise that the noise at the beginning was supposed to be someone blowing into the cartridge, it sounded more like chalk on a chalkboard. Mouse control would have been nice, but probably wouldn't sit right with the retro/console feel. Good work.

belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »

That music is sooo annoying after a while.

We apologise for the fault in the music. Those responsible have been sacked.

Mouse control would have been nice, but probably wouldn't sit right with the retro/console feel.

You got it; I wanted to stick to the control limitations of the Famicom, not to mention mouse control would have made 2 player mode very uneven.

It did take me a while to realise that the noise at the beginning was supposed to be someone blowing into the cartridge, it sounded more like chalk on a chalkboard.

We apologise again for the fault in the music.  Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked, have been sacked.

@belbeeno - website
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 10:20:52 PM »

I've updated the first post with a link to my source, for those who are into that sort of thing.

An important note about the source; due to the limited space on the XP-Dev the repository contains only the source code and other light weight data.  If you want to build this, you will need the necessary art and libraries.  The first is easy, since you get the art folder whenever you download my game (which you've played by now... RIGHT?); just copy the art folder and paste it into the directory the solution is in.  The libraries are a little more tedious.

For this game I used SDL, SDL_Mixer, snes_ntsc and Box2D.  All the links can be found in the ReadMe and you'll probably need all of them to build the game.  I'm not sure how your Visual Studio will mutilate solution files, and tweaking it to work on arbitrary computers is a black art I dare not try so I leave it as an exercise to the user... or maybe I'm just trying a last ditch attempt to keep people from looking at my code.  Either way, you're on your own!  /me runs into the sunset with arms flailing in the air.

Oh, and if anybody gets builds on other platforms working, let me know so I can give you my highest of fives and then post it on the original post.

@belbeeno - website
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 05:59:22 PM »

Link is broken. A shame, I'm looking forward to trying this! PM me when fxy!'d, plz. Smiley

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 08:26:35 AM »

This is kind of exactly what I needed after playing with the gimped ninja rope in that new Worms game. Grin

Feels great when you're swinging and releasing, but sometimes it feels like a crapshoot whether the rope aims up or to an angle. Ditto for which hook the rope attaches to. I like the retro graphics filter, though the rope segments really get discontinuous at long lengths.

belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »

This is kind of exactly what I needed after playing with the gimped ninja rope in that new Worms game. Grin

It would be a lie if I said this game wasn't directly influenced by the Worms 2 ninja rope.  I'm glad somebody picked up on this!

Feels great when you're swinging and releasing, but sometimes it feels like a crapshoot whether the rope aims up or to an angle. Ditto for which hook the rope attaches to.

I'm going to interpret 'crapshoot' as 'random', in which case I agree entirely.  The up and angle up shots happen when you're holding either up or left/right respectively, which isn't really smart since throughout most of the game you're holding those buttons down all the time.  But I didn't want to take out the ability to do it, so I left in.  I'm open to suggestion on making this more elegant.

As for the hooks, this is certainly the case on easy and medium modes, which have significantly less ice blocks; these modes aren't challenging, but I thought they were a lot of fun to play around on.  Towards the hard mode though the game becomes less about flinging yourself up and more about strategic platforming, which I found sort of interesting.  If you want to see an extreme case of what I mean, go to the difficulty setting and keep pressing right, pass the Hard difficulty and then play a 1P game.

I like the retro graphics filter, though the rope segments really get discontinuous at long lengths.

Thanks!  I have an idea for the rope to make it more fluid which I probably won't do.  This game is done as far as I'm concerned.

@belbeeno - website
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic