Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:18:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] MADRIS [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] MADRIS [FINISHED]  (Read 52621 times)
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »

I agree that we’ll have to wait to see whether generating sims in rooms that satisfy their needs will work with the in-development sim-objectives.  The advantage of leaving them in is that connecting them to an existing layout is a quick and easy way to clear rooms. 

I feel that this is sort of a key component of the game.  As far as block-puzzle games go the only way to make it fair with generating random pieces is to be able to clear unusable blocks.

I suppose it depends on how intense you want the gameplay to be.  You could make it the choice of the player to play the casual mode with self-clearing rooms or the hard mode without.
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 07:37:06 AM »

@njm1992, Although I'm not aim to hold up your game, I take that as the highest form of compliment.  I see what you're saying about the hallways, maybe I can add some rugs to them or something.  One was originally going to be stairs, but that would probably only add to this confusion.  Actually I could display the rooms names under the preview as well.  I'll play around with it a bit.  Thanks for the feedback.

As far as block-puzzle games go the only way to make it fair with generating random pieces is to be able to clear unusable blocks.

I'm not sure I track oyog, because I don't believe there are any "unusable blocks"?  All of the rooms can be connected into a layout that can be cleared.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:53 AM »

Yeah, that post wasn't written very clearly and I'm not entirely sure what I meant when I wrote it.  Admittedly, I was a bit inebriated at the time.  I'm guessing I had meant that there's always the unlikely situation where you'll keep getting pieces that you can't clear until you've lost the game.

Maybe?  I dunno.

Right.  Time to make a list of things to avoid when posting.

Don't post in a hurry.
Don't post drunk.

Grin
h_double
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »

This is a really neat concept and I like the presentation. I do have a couple of comments:

- I don't like the way some of the rooms don't line up horizontally, like how the side doorway to the kitchen (orange room) doesn't line up with most other horizontal doors -- this does add a lot more challenge, to keep track of which rooms fit with others, but it gives the game less of a satisfying modular click-together-ness, if that makes sense.

- I've occasionally had, say, a blue sim spawn in a blue room which makes the room immediately disappear -- not a problem per se but a little pointless.

- It would be tougher to program, but how about having the sims wander around from room to room while the gameplay is going on? This would add challenge because when you make a complete path, the connected rooms wouldn't disappear immediately. Also, having a pause of 2-4 seconds every time you get a clear is going to get old after a while, and break up the flow of the game.
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »

This game is really awesome. A real fun use of tetris framework! Great that the famicase art inspired this game to exist. I bet the original artist would be thrilled! Smiley

I will definitely keep my eye on this game as it improves. Seems like it is on a super solid foundation though and already quite fun. I played a few times and was entertained for sure. I played 01v2 I think from your first post.

I feel the door on the rooms didn't read like a door to me but as a wall at first. I was assuming the walls would be thicker than the doors I guess.

I wish that the blocks doors lined up better or more modularly with the other blocks doors because there were a few times that seemed unfair when trying to line up a room with a '$$' wanting sim with a garage. I may just need to play more too to get better but it is hard to remember what space to leave for what rooms.

I also figure it will be a challenge to teach the player what the 'Zz' and '$$' go with what rooms... maybe faded at the center of each room could be the same 'Zz' icon as a nice reminder?  OH is it color coded?  I didn't get that until writing this and remembering back.

Keep up the good work though glad I finally had a chance to check this out!

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »

I like this so far; it stands apart from typical tetris-like games.  I agree with Melly - the playing area does seem a little cramped.  I would suggest keeping the square playing area, but increasing its length and width by about 50%.

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »

Thanks everyone, this is really great feedback.  I hope I can take advantage of all these great insights and suggestions.

@h_double, Having the sims run “asynchronously” will be an interesting thing to try.  It reminds me a little of Lumines.  In the mean time, the down key does speed up the sim in addition to falling rooms.  Sims spawning in rooms that satisfy their own needs is looking like it will most likely be taken out.  A few people have mentioned the concern about rooms not lining up, and this was an intentional choice after playing with the room dimensions displayed on the cart.  For the moment I do like that break from Tetris, and the kind of challenges it presents.  It’s been mentioned enough times, that I will probably play around with some different room dimensions once I finish implementing the level objectives.  I expect those will help drive some of these kinds of design decision.

@HybridMind,  The doors have gone through about four iterations with the lastest intended to look like door-ways.  It now occurs to me that maybe making them empty/gray like the hallways might help disambiguate the hallways’ use too.  I’ll play around with it some more.  Hopefully a tutorial level will be helpful in clarifying the connection between the sims’ need bubble colors and the room that will satisfy them.

@Theta, I’m planning on having different size boards for different levels.  Thanks for the feedback, I’ll make sure to include boards that size while I’m tuning the various levels.

Again thanks everyone.  Your comments are very encouraging!
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »

New Demo Available!!!
  20 Unlockable Sims
  20 Unlockable Furniture Upgrades
  40 Levels with Unique Objectives
  Arcade Mode Play

Please play, enjoy, and let me know what you think.  Thanks in advance.

P.S. Basic Work Left Todo:
  Create In-Game Tutorial.
  Add mouse controls for menus.
  Create sound effects for sims.
  Add shiny particles to menu backgrounds.
  Make use of more excellent feedback from fellow TIGgers.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 03:50:49 PM »

I like the new demo!  About the music, though - in my opinion, there was too much bass in the equalization.  I like the "human" sounds, though.

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »

Thanks for giving it another look Theta.  I would still like to try including some wider levels as you suggested before.  It's just going to take a bit more play-testing to figure out which it will help (and whether changing the board width from one level to the next is really a good thing).  Stay tuned...
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »

It's Finished!!!  Continue feeding me ideas, if you'd like to see more.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to add any more prior to the contest deadline.  I'm really enjoying this game though, and would love to see it go even further.  I hope you all enjoy it as well!
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »

Wow.

This is just so creative and well done. Congrats man, I haven't seen something this fresh in a long while!  Beer!

*goes back to stacking rooms*

googoogjoob
Level 3

The Walrus is me.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »

This is pretty amazing. That the concept works out so well is surprising and awesome.
Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 12:52:53 PM »

I'm really enjoying this game so far and I like making elaborate apartment complexes. However like normal tetris I think this could benefit from an instant drop key. One that when pressed would bring the room immediately down.
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 08:10:14 AM »

Thanks Dom2D, googoojoob, and Chubysnow.  It's great to hear that others are enjoying this as much as I have been. 

I've been to busy this week to take much advantage of the one-week extension, but I did fix a small bug related to unlocking some of the furniture in the kitchen and garage.  For instance, it would sometimes say you unlocked one thing (like a table), but really unlock another (an oven).  This is now fixed, and the temporary save file is also now being cleaned up automatically.
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2010, 07:47:23 AM »

Congrats for being featured on ByteJacker as the highlight of the compo =D

Also, your game got my girlfriend screaming at the screen in the harder levels, which is really a good thing! She's a Sims fan, but not a puzzler fan, yet she loves your game.

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »

Brilliant idea! And it's highly addictive! And awesome tune, can't get enough of it!

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2010, 09:18:57 AM »

Thanks again guys (and screaming girlfriend).  It was kind of sureal hearing my name and seeing MADRIS while watching bytejacker this week!

Also, keep me posted, if you find any issues with the game.  I just found that some of the more recent gui code was preventing progress on the levels Renovation, and Demolition.  I've updated the download with a fixed version.  Also, your saved game files should work equally well with this new version (just overwrite the exe).

Time for some Mm.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2010, 04:02:15 PM »

Good stuff here, man! Pretty original and addicting game, indeed. Congrats on making this.

I too sometimes feel the game area gets cluttered by useless pieces, it would be a good idea if you could clear some. For example, if you connect pieces that lead nowhere or make a "closed space" that space should be deleted. For example connecting two bathrooms. or connecting 4 dinning rooms.

Still, great game, congrats on being on bytejacker and all, cheers.  Coffee Mm well deserved.

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2010, 08:53:33 AM »

Thanks guillermo, I'm glad you enjoyed MADRIS, and I'll continue to contemplate how to integrate your comments into a better game.

Also, MADRIS is now officially the Free Indie of the Week
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic