Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:37:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Monkey Freak [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Monkey Freak [FINISHED]  (Read 12877 times)
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »

Monkey Freak

Description
Browsed all of the carts about a billion times and kept going back to this one because the characters would be fun to model.  Not 100% sure on the gameplay but I'm leaning towards a 3D platformer with some puzzle elements.  Maybe the scientists enlist the monkey in catching the escaped lab animals in each level and let him use gizmos/robots/weapons powered by the monkey's helmet.  I'll figure something out. Grin

I'll probably use Unity for this since there's some stuff I want to do that my XNA engine can't support yet.  I'd rather spend time on the gameplay than adding features since I have a bit of travel in July as well.
Inspired by

Download
Windows
Mac
Web

How to play
TBD
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:30:24 PM by Chris Zamanillo » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »

DO THE CONCEPT IN YOUR DESCRIPTION

Make it Ape Escape style!
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 11:41:57 PM »

DO THE CONCEPT IN YOUR DESCRIPTION

Make it Ape Escape style!

You have no idea how big an Ape Escape fan I am, maybe that's why I kept going back to this cover haha.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »

the monkey can attach various pieces of hardware to his brain-helmet and use them as powerups such as a laser gun or radar

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »

From the case, bananas seem to be the "coin" of this game.
ChevyRay
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 12:51:37 AM »

Haha that monkey's expression is priceless. Good luck with this, Chris!
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »

Alternating between working on the main character and getting the basic platforming up and running.  I'll post screenshots up eventually.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »

Can't wait to see some of those delicious screens.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »

Hey guys, it's the monkey freak pre-texture/rig/animation:

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »

Had some time to work on this, the monkey is all done!

feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »

Nice looking monkey!  Are you putting more detail into your models than this?  Because i like the N64 vibe you got going on.

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 02:19:15 AM »

Perhaps outlining and cel-shading would make it look more interesting. Right now the model is good, but a bit bland.

Also that's a WICKED chin.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »

Nice looking monkey!  Are you putting more detail into your models than this?  Because i like the N64 vibe you got going on.

Thanks!  I decided to make it a sidescroller with multiple labs you go back and forth to as you get new items so the camera will be much further away than this screenshot.  Since that's the case, it probably wont get more detailed than this since the polys are wasted at the distance I've been testing it at.

Perhaps outlining and cel-shading would make it look more interesting. Right now the model is good, but a bit bland.

Also that's a WICKED chin.

Appreciate the crit, do you mean poly- or texture-wise?  I'm still considering adding more detail to the texture in the fur, metal, and brain, depending on how this model mixes with the environment I'm thinking of.  As for cel shading, I was thinking of doing it but the Unity Indie cel shading is just so ugly.  If I had made this on my engine then maybe since its more crisp and uniform, and also my last TIGS game was cel shaded  Smiley Oh and he actually doesnt have a chin per se, just a big mouth.  Maybe I can make that more readable.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 07:42:33 PM »

Perhaps a view from the front would make his face seem less like he has a massive chin.

And yeah, the textures are bland.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 12:31:39 AM »

Basic platforming done along with a lot of behind the scenes stuff thats not apparent from whats playable now.

Platforming test: arrow keys to move, Z to jump

deathtotheweird
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 12:52:53 AM »

Oh wow, looks good. Nice smooth camera and controls.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley
MichalBe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 05:02:36 AM »

very nice, but coz you made cool monkey model maybe it will be better to make it bigger on the screen?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

I like what you have so far. Works silky-smooth here, with one or two hiccups, though I blame Unity's web player for those.

Hope you release a standalone version with the completed game.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »

Thanks, yea I plan on having a Windows and Mac build for that reason.  I doubt the web player can handle high quality once the game has more than a few test boxes.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »

Sorry for the lack of updates, just dont have anything radically different to show off since a lot of the art is placeholder minus a couple of models.  The good news is that most of the programming/gameplay is done, it's just a matter of level design (of which one is completely blocked out) and asset creation now.  I'll post some updates soon!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic