Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:41:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Burp'n'Shoot (Bootleg) (FINISHED)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Burp'n'Shoot (Bootleg) (FINISHED)  (Read 12889 times)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2010, 07:51:31 AM »

Burpnshoot Bootleg

Description

Game is good in China about freedom enjoy the liberty of USA lifestyle in celebrate the 4th of July(before antichrist Obama era) impress the buddies with your shooting mad skills
             Inspired by

Download
v 0_0_3
http://www.box.net/shared/6rztx0lr0n

How to play
< move arm to left > move arm to right Z to shoot
Q to reset level(and change map layout)
X to call for backup (if you have backup left - see the small red truck above the score )

I'll be doing an attract mode of sorts tommorow to explain the various scoring schemes within the game proper.

for now:

Bullets hitting the 'walls' gain ricochet points which are used as multipliers when you hit something.

Cans have an airtime value which is activated, once hit, and used as multipliers when they get into the trashcans. Also, the more a can is hit, the more points you get for it hitting walls.

There is a 'slot' type bumper (question mark sphere) you can shoot; get 3 of the same to enjoy a special bonus, depending on the symbol

There is a filling roulette. Get 10 bullets in it, and it will give them back.

There is a channel roulette for the tv. Randomly browse through riveting USA tv.

That's it, oh and watch out for the UFOs preying on the buddies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:22:45 PM by Lurk » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »

Nice to see you here Lurk.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
The Greenest Banana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »

Ahh, a fellow Burp'N'Shooter! I think the crude graphics in the prototype actually suit this cartridge's feel pretty well.

A Game By Its Cover Entry: Burp'N'Shoot
ChevyRay
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »

I'm still not completely certain whether the middle cloud in that picture is, in fact, a cloud, or if it's supposed to be smoke coming out of the gun. Anyways, good start so far, Lurk! Grin The cover makes me crack up, so hopefully your game carries on that feeling.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 05:21:07 PM »

after another hour of work, a playable demo for you!
http://www.box.net/shared/iidqx8nvrh

you have 99 bullets, when you can't shoot anymore, you can press Q to start over. I'm going to be working on making slightly better graphics now(decorum), and a proper loop with intro screen/highscore table. Let me know if you have any visual glitches.

Melly- Yes, I've missed on all the compos since the lovecraft one. Time to get back on the saddle Wink
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 06:17:19 PM »

Haha, that's pretty fun, though it seems pretty impossible to have any control over the cans to get them to land on the trash cans, but maybe that's the whole idea. Wink

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:07:23 AM »

New demo with graphical update and a few added features. I tried to better explain the rules in the How to play section of my first post, but I will also add a kind of attract mode/tutorial in the main loop to show it visually(it's how it makes the most sense).

http://www.box.net/shared/fv7rs9xvn2

still need to animate characters, make a proper splash screen and close the game loop(Q still resets the game)
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »

That's looking great. I like the style you're going for the characters, though I think the shooter should be sitting on a chair like in the art to make him seem even more like a lazy fart.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 01:04:46 AM »

Ha, very amusing.
I agree that he should be in a chair though.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
feeblethemighty
Level 1

@feeblethemighty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 06:57:33 AM »

Fun!  I got the shooting part down.  But, where's the burping?  Tongue

i make chiptunes, uketunes, games and more!  feeblethemighty.com
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:41:43 AM »

Demo 0_0_3, with what the fans have been clamoring for, couch and burp!
http://www.box.net/shared/l76i4fckem

Added an intro screen and a game over screen. Some other graphical tweaks. Started pondering some kind of level scheme- like a pachinko machine. Still trying to walk the balance between skill and sheer luck(player won't be able to just shoot rapidly and score dumb points anymore).

Q is still reset. Z shoots and <- -> move the lazy arm.

Next, more graphical overhaul, sound/music replacing placeholders, level structure and a few more surprises(there's already one in this version, but I'm letting you guys find it on your own). Keep the ini file in the same folder as the game to keep track of highscores(if you remove it, it just won't save them when quitting)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

IT IS DONE

http://www.box.net/shared/6rztx0lr0n

Link also on the first page, with 'instructions'; I want to do an attract mode to explain the various gameplay elements, but I'm too tired right now and prone to insert bugs. Speaking of which, let me know if you find any in this first release version.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »

"an unexpected error" popped up when i tried to start the game.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »

I love this game. There is so much to try for; it's like pinball.

|
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 01:57:15 AM »

Jajitsu: Would you mind trying this version out? It doesn't use surfaces, so it might make it work for you. Let me know how it goes, so I can update the link for others who might experience the same problem. Thanks Wink
http://www.box.net/shared/vgxu5gdcs6

Moonmagic:I've been very interested in experiments where you strike a balance between luck/randomness and player input recently; my guess is it in some ways lead to pinball. God I miss classic pinball in an old arcade...
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »

Good arcade feel, I like the graphics and the effects. I think it would be better it the arm didn't move the whole time, it feels kind of random. But it surely got good elements from pinball and Puzzle Bubble.  Coffee

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 09:53:30 AM »

What I like about random / luck elements in score-based games is that it gives them the iceberg quality; you never know if you've seen everything, or if there's some weird combination of events that will still produce something unexpected. My second game of Burp'n'Shoot presented me with an alien, which I gleefully shot, and it left me with the feeling that there was quite a lot to discover. It is a nice quality for such a compact game.

|
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »

Jajitsu: Would you mind trying this version out? It doesn't use surfaces, so it might make it work for you. Let me know how it goes, so I can update the link for others who might experience the same problem. Thanks Wink
http://www.box.net/shared/vgxu5gdcs6

Moonmagic:I've been very interested in experiments where you strike a balance between luck/randomness and player input recently; my guess is it in some ways lead to pinball. God I miss classic pinball in an old arcade...

Geh. Still not working for me.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:22:42 PM »

Works fine for me. It was pretty enjoyable. I love all the little artistic details and the whole hillbilly theme.

Sounds and music felt VERY muted, though. I had to turn my speakers way up.

Gameplay was enjoyable in a pinball kinda way, yeah. I feel I'd get pretty infuriated if I tried to go for serious scoring, but as an amusing pass-time it was pretty nice.

Nice to see you finally finishing a compo game Lurk. Guess the trick was the scale your ambitions down eh? Wink

belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:47 PM »

This game is an accurate depiction of weekends in the Podunks of Manitoba.

I'm blown away by the game's pixel art.  Everything, from the sprites to the background, looks spectacular.  You clearly put a lot of effort into the detail work.

...like a pachinko machine. Still trying to walk the balance between skill and sheer luck (player won't be able to just shoot rapidly and score dumb points anymore).

You were able to capture Pachinko's randomness, but I feel like the pacing is off.  I'd like to see what the game looked like with the speed and spawn designed towards sheer luck, making it feel more like Pachinko.  Gaining points probably wouldn't have meant much at the end of the day, but it probably would have been a lot of fun to play in the same way Pachinko and (shudder shudder) Peggle are fun.

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic