Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:28:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)  (Read 34207 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 11:24:01 AM »

It will be brutal, yet fair.  The first person to actually beat it will dedicate the game for eternity to whomever they like.

This is brilliant. BUT: considering the second highlighted point, I think you should remove the first point, so that it takes effort to beat it that one first time. Otherwise, pretty much the first person to play it will get to dedicate it.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »

I wonder what the chance is of someone dedicating this to an obscene word : P

Fairly high I'm sure.  I think I'm okay with that though.

It will be brutal, yet fair.  The first person to actually beat it will dedicate the game for eternity to whomever they like.

This is brilliant. BUT: considering the second highlighted point, I think you should remove the first point, so that it takes effort to beat it that one first time. Otherwise, pretty much the first person to play it will get to dedicate it.

When I say fair I simply mean that I won't be playing masocore tricks on players.  To dedicate the game a player will have to complete the entire thing without dying once.  This *should* be very hard, but we'll see.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 12:36:57 AM »

I finally finished the level design (exercise and tiredness got in the way last night).  The build is updated.

This build also has what will become practice mode enabled, meaning when you die you only get bumped back to the last heart.  I figured not every one would be interested in commiting to trying for a true one life completion.  So the practice mode should fill that void a bit.

It should now be possible to get a pretty good feel for what the final game will be like.

Still quite a bit to do: sound, music, polish, front-end, dedication.. but I'm pretty happy with how it's progressed so far.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 01:31:54 AM »

Wow, this is amazing! I love the bite-size feel it has.
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:07 AM »

This last section at the bottom is cruel. Got to the final room once but haven't managed it again since. Got all the other hearts though.

Really liking it.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2010, 05:29:10 AM »

This last section at the bottom is cruel. Got to the final room once but haven't managed it again since.

Excellent, cruelness there is certainly the intention Evil.  I have managed to make it all the way too the bottom and then back out again (the return will incidently be mandatory), but only the once.  If anyone does manage to dedicate it I want them to have earnt it.

Really glad you've been enjoying it guys.  I'd been worried (as usual) that I was making the sort of game that'd only appeal to myself.  So thanks!

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »

I think that this is plenty punishing. Smiley

increpare
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 02:59:31 PM »

had another wander around there.  niceeee
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »

This is still progressing pretty well.  I've mostly been working on the necessary but slightly tedious FE/interfacey bits though, so there's no new builds as of yet.  I'm hoping I'll have something near finalized by the weekend.

Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »

I need the last heart Sad

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

It is definitely possible to get it, but it's also the biggest puzzle in the game.  Think laterally.  (If anyone has the solution, please don't spoil it!)

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »

Really like how this is coming along. I played it a bunch last night but was too damn exhausted to do very well. I did manage to reach some brutal bottom area that is probably what the others are talking about. Wish I hadn't lost what feels like 80% of my platforming chops...

I continue to really like the look and feel of this game though!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »

I got all the hearts, but there is no way in hell I am going to try and get them all without dying. Good game, I love the heart-jump thing of it, its really a great idea.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 10:52:04 AM »

I really like the heart-jump, like love pushes you higher. Kiss

The game has a really charming look and feel. All you need now is a soft song and some cute jump noises to go with it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »

I managed to use a few bits and pieces of my evenings whilst on holiday to finish this off, so it's finally done, yay!

Play the finished thing here!

Love,
  Jonathan

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »

What's the difference between practice mode and the proper game? Because I just beat practice mode and feel a little empty inside Sad

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »

What's the difference between practice mode and the proper game? Because I just beat practice mode and feel a little empty inside Sad

In the proper game you have to restart the entire game every time you die, and if you manage to win you can dedicate the game to whoever forever.

Practice is all well and good, but sometimes you need to be devoted.

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

It looks like a cool game, but I can't actually get to your website. "Firefox can't find the server at jonathanwhiting.com." fairly consistently. Any idea why that might be, apart from my ISP? I'll try again tomorrow or something anyway since it's probably a DNS issue, just a heads up.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »

Great game, I concur with melly that the heart jumping is a great mechanic.
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 12:42:15 PM »

It looks like a cool game, but I can't actually get to your website. "Firefox can't find the server at jonathanwhiting.com." fairly consistently. Any idea why that might be, apart from my ISP?

I'm afraid not.  jonathanwhiting.com is a 'new' alias for jwhiting.nfshost.com but it's been that way for about a month now, and I've had no problems here, so it seems unlikely to be related.  If you're still having difficulties do try http://jwhiting.nfshost.com/coding/loveletter/

Great game, I concur with melly that the heart jumping is a great mechanic.

Thanks Smiley  I'd actually wondered if the mechanic was a bit simplistic, but I'm pretty happy with the way it all melded together in the end.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic