Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028962 Posts in 41336 Topics- by 32936 Members - Latest Member: Pudding

August 01, 2014, 04:23:02 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)  (Read 18278 times)
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »

It is definitely possible to get it, but it's also the biggest puzzle in the game.  Think laterally.  (If anyone has the solution, please don't spoil it!)

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »

Really like how this is coming along. I played it a bunch last night but was too damn exhausted to do very well. I did manage to reach some brutal bottom area that is probably what the others are talking about. Wish I hadn't lost what feels like 80% of my platforming chops...

I continue to really like the look and feel of this game though!

JMickle
Level 10

lqikq come home

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 04:41:19 AM »

I got all the hearts, but there is no way in hell I am going to try and get them all without dying. Good game, I love the heart-jump thing of it, its really a great idea.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 10:52:04 AM »

I really like the heart-jump, like love pushes you higher. Kiss

The game has a really charming look and feel. All you need now is a soft song and some cute jump noises to go with it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »

I managed to use a few bits and pieces of my evenings whilst on holiday to finish this off, so it's finally done, yay!

Play the finished thing here!

Love,
  Jonathan

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:46 AM »

What's the difference between practice mode and the proper game? Because I just beat practice mode and feel a little empty inside Sad

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »

What's the difference between practice mode and the proper game? Because I just beat practice mode and feel a little empty inside Sad

In the proper game you have to restart the entire game every time you die, and if you manage to win you can dedicate the game to whoever forever.

Practice is all well and good, but sometimes you need to be devoted.

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »

It looks like a cool game, but I can't actually get to your website. "Firefox can't find the server at jonathanwhiting.com." fairly consistently. Any idea why that might be, apart from my ISP? I'll try again tomorrow or something anyway since it's probably a DNS issue, just a heads up.

PsySal
Level 7

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 11:21:59 AM »

Great game, I concur with melly that the heart jumping is a great mechanic.
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 12:42:15 PM »

It looks like a cool game, but I can't actually get to your website. "Firefox can't find the server at jonathanwhiting.com." fairly consistently. Any idea why that might be, apart from my ISP?

I'm afraid not.  jonathanwhiting.com is a 'new' alias for jwhiting.nfshost.com but it's been that way for about a month now, and I've had no problems here, so it seems unlikely to be related.  If you're still having difficulties do try http://jwhiting.nfshost.com/coding/loveletter/

Great game, I concur with melly that the heart jumping is a great mechanic.

Thanks Smiley  I'd actually wondered if the mechanic was a bit simplistic, but I'm pretty happy with the way it all melded together in the end.

Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

msn@draknek.org
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 02:01:38 PM »

If you have the heart-jump and you jump into a heart, when you hit the ground you lose the heart-jump. It happens every time for this heart:

It feels very much like a bug, even though I realise that it is required for some puzzles. Could you make it so that this only happens for the last heart you touched? I.e. for all other hearts jumping into it with the heart-jump will let you keep the heart-jump when you touch the floor.

Also I don't like the pixel-handwriting font; it's very hard to read.

Other than that though, I love this!

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 07:14:13 PM »

In the proper game you have to restart the entire game every time you die, and if you manage to win you can dedicate the game to whoever forever.

Ah, I tried the proper game after finishing the practice, but they seemed identical to me. In retrospect I may have just clicked on the wrong button. This was a charming little game. I'll be interested to see if anyone manages to complete it without dying! It seems like the easiest way to accomplish this would be to write/use a program to simulate the precise sequence of keystrokes needed to complete the game. You might call that "cheating" but that amount of effort would still show dedication, no? Wink

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:06 AM »

If you have the heart-jump and you jump into a heart, when you hit the ground you lose the heart-jump. It happens every time for this heart:

It feels very much like a bug, even though I realise that it is required for some puzzles. Could you make it so that this only happens for the last heart you touched? I.e. for all other hearts jumping into it with the heart-jump will let you keep the heart-jump when you touch the floor.

I do see what you mean, and I'm not convinced I do use this in a significant way for any of my puzzles.  When I get the chance I'll have a look into whether changing this is feasible/desirable.

Also I don't like the pixel-handwriting font; it's very hard to read.

I'm pretty set on achieving a hand-written look of some kind here, but again I do see what you mean.  I'll have a look and see if there's anything I can do to improve legibility without disrupting the aesthetics.

Other than that though, I love this!

Glad to hear it Smiley

Ah, I tried the proper game after finishing the practice, but they seemed identical to me. In retrospect I may have just clicked on the wrong button. This was a charming little game. I'll be interested to see if anyone manages to complete it without dying!

Yeah, they *are* identical until you die and/or finish, so you equally might just have not died yet.  I'm certainly interested on seeing if anyone takes on the challenge/manages it.  I tried hard to balance things so that such a completion isn't unfeasible, but will be pretty taxing.

If it helps to spur anyone on I've managed to get all the way down to the very bottom and back out without dying (though I then messed up one of the easier screens).  A true completion is definitely possible!

It seems like the easiest way to accomplish this would be to write/use a program to simulate the precise sequence of keystrokes needed to complete the game. You might call that "cheating" but that amount of effort would still show dedication, no? Wink

That would require some devotion certainly. Smiley

Honestly though I think it'd be easier to complete it tool-free than to write the tool.  In particular syncing up the input precisely enough would be a little challenging.  I'm more than happy to be proved wrong though.

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 06:45:03 AM »

Fun game with a simple and cool jumping mechanic. Good to see it come together with the final sounds, music, and polish.

I played pretty far on practice mode.  I too wished there was a bit of explanation on what the differences between practice and normal mode were.

Alas I am crushed in that final passage area by my lack of platforming skills.

Also.. DAMN that font is hard to read for me! Shocked

Love the title screen dedication idea! You should require a playthrough video as proof though as anyone could just use Cheat Engine to hack it otherwise--perhaps you've already thought of some other proof scheme though.

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 07:01:18 AM »

It looks like a cool game, but I can't actually get to your website. "Firefox can't find the server at jonathanwhiting.com." fairly consistently. Any idea why that might be, apart from my ISP?

I'm afraid not.  jonathanwhiting.com is a 'new' alias for jwhiting.nfshost.com but it's been that way for about a month now, and I've had no problems here, so it seems unlikely to be related.  If you're still having difficulties do try http://jwhiting.nfshost.com/coding/loveletter/

Nice game, I managed to play it at the alternate address though the original still doesn't work. Maybe it's to do with being in Australia? Seems unlikely. Anyway, I like the game, managed to get to 28 before dying I think.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic