Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:05:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)  (Read 34330 times)
BillyTheBanana
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »

As for the game itself, there appears to be one little bug. In square (2,2) from the top left of my map, I've run into a bug where the character will not stay pink if you gather the heart then fall down the right side.

Sounds like the issue Draknek described.  It's not a bug per-say, but I do understand how it might feel like one.  I'm a bit torn on whether to fix it or not, especially now that the game's been completed.
I say don't "fix" it. I enjoyed figuring out the "rules".

--this message brought to you in part by quotation marks
felsparks
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »

Played this for about an hour yesterday before someone had finished the game, and a little bit today after looking at the map and finding out that the 'm' key did something. Very fun, and great to see both precision jumping and puzzles built out of a small, but substantial "gimmick" for a platformer. One life is just too tough for me, as I keep messing up on the path to the bottom like everyone else. I got to the end of the passage a few times, but I could not get back without dying. I tried persisting for a bit, but I gave up in frustration of my keyboard somehow causing me to move right without any input. Not enough dedication for a dedication, I guess.

Congrats to nobody! Wink
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2010, 07:06:36 AM »

Simple and fun, a bit on the tough side, I get frustrated easily so I couldn't get too far with just one life. Cry   ((Then I found out the "practice mode" will let you continue, the title is a bit missleading though, wouldn't "easy mode" suit it better??))

I also have a hard time reading the text, script + low-res font not a good combo.

Dig the background song, it's original.

Oh, the game even got a small cult following, how cool is that? Well, hello there!

Congrats on finishing this!  Gentleman

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2010, 04:31:27 PM »

First thoughts: That font is unreadable!

Second, more coherent thoughts: I like what you did here. While the game mechanics are simple, you get a lot of mileage out of them. Nothing unnecessary has been added, and everything that is needed is accounted for. That is the mark of good game design.

The art style is attractive and appropriate. It is a very nice interpretation of the cartridge art.

The game is also incredibly difficult and frustrating. So, in that way, it is a perfect metaphor for love.  Smiley

I actually liked the beginning section of the game best, before there was any real danger of dying. It gave me a very Wario-esque feel, where messing up wouldn't kill you, but it would require you to jump through some hoops to get back to where you were.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010, 08:23:18 PM »

Haha, I really like what you made here. I like the idea of having a really hard game and if you beat it, not only feeling the satisfaction but also dedication your victory to a loved one. Smiley That's some nice stuff.

Agree with Soulliard on pretty much everything, and it was a very good call to add that Practice mode there.

Though I don't think I'll ever be able to beat it on one life. Sad

Also, most of the audio is pretty nice, but the screen switching beep can be a little annoying in some sections.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2010, 01:01:13 AM »

Thanks very much for the feedback guys Smiley

The font was, with hindsight, a bit of a mistake.  Legibility always trumps aesthetic consistency.  Lesson learnt.

The game is also incredibly difficult and frustrating. So, in that way, it is a perfect metaphor for love.  Smiley

Hah, yes.  It did seem metaphorically relevant Smiley

It was a really tough game to judge the difficulty for.  I had to try and make it easy enough (especially at the start) not to put people off, but difficult enough that the one life challenge was a true challenge.  Given that it was completed less than 24 hours after release it seems I actually made it too easy!

Was great to see it spread though, gimmicks certainly get you noticed Smiley  I'm also completely in love with flash for reaching an audience quickly.  I don't think this idea could have worked as a downloadable game.

I was also pleased with the dedication that it was given.  I liked the way it subtly changed a finished game into something slightly different.  I really was willing to put up *whatever* the winning player wanted (though I might have had to put some sort of "this might offend you" warning up), so to get something so in the spirit of the game was marvelous.

Scotoma
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010, 12:17:23 PM »

It will be brutal, yet fair.

When I reached the bottom of the pit of despair and got the last 6 hearts, I though yeah, I won. Then I realized I had to go back up. I felt like screaming. And people manage to beat the game without dying, wow. Lovely game thought.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »

+1 to what Souliard said.

I absolutely adored your level design, it's succinct and well-constructed.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2010, 05:46:34 AM »

Great entry. The controls are very simple and responsive, which I feel is important for a game like this. A lot of the level design is extremely clever. I especially like the solution to the heart on the start screen. The game can be brutal though. The punishment for a single mistake is soul sapping. I'm so glad I wasn't fighting to be the first to complete it. Good work. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic