Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:11:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Twilit Universe [FINISHED!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Twilit Universe [FINISHED!]  (Read 20041 times)
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 10:08:27 PM »

Had a play at it just now. Got to the urchins, then clicked on one and was annihilated. (Was at about 75-80% health before that.)

The gameplay felt odd, loose. I didn't feel as though I really understood or was in control of what was going on... it was pretty, though.

Not sure how helpful that is, but... there you go.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 05:11:53 PM »

Had a play at it just now. Got to the urchins, then clicked on one and was annihilated. (Was at about 75-80% health before that.)
So you rested on the urchin for about 3 seconds? As soon as you stop touching it, you stop taking damage.

The gameplay felt odd, loose. I didn't feel as though I really understood or was in control of what was going on... it was pretty, though.

Not sure how helpful that is, but... there you go.
To put it simply, you move to anything you click on. Was the game at least clear enough on that?

Perhaps I should make the character stand out more?

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »

I enjoyed zooming around through the various life forms, but I think the feedback when you are damaged is what makes it feel slippery. Sound will help with this.

I think the difficulty is about right; I just want more solid-feeling hit detection.

|
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 07:28:54 AM »

I played it a few days ago, it was difficult and a bit confusing. Jumping to fish made sense, but I didn't realise it was a goal at first. And then jumping to sea urchins seems to kill you rather fast. In fact, jumping past them seems to hurt, or something, which seems rather odd. Maybe giving feedback on exactly what hurt you could help. It's an interesting and enjoyable game, though.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »

I think I might see part of the problem. Moving over obstacles (including bullets, urchins and items) involves interacting with them. Perhaps I just need to make that more clear.

On an unrelated note, do you understand how the shield power-up works? If it is too confusing, I will remove it.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »

Tired

I'll be cutting this competition pretty close...

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »

I didn't last much longer than a few minutes lol, been too far into my own code to try it again though.

hi
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 08:39:50 PM »

Phew! It's finally finished!

Though I had originally planned to make it substantially longer, I'm still happy with the result. The mechanics are innovative, and the game is as polished as I can make it. Now we'll see if people actually enjoy playing it, but either way, creating Twilit Universe was a lot of fun.

Download

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »

Has anyone played this yet?

And if not, why not?

I ask that seriously. I could use feedback on my marketing skills.  Smiley

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »

Too many games man, too many. Crazy

I will eventually.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 07:39:53 PM »

I like the game a lot, though so far I only got to the part after the walls.  It is, in my opinion, rather hard (even on normal mode).  I like the amount of concentration (and quick-thinking) that it requires, but sometimes it becomes a bit unfair when there are too few objects to enter that are safe.

Also, sometimes I would get hurt after entering a fish that had just flashed and fired (but the flashing was done, and the shot was away).  I think maybe the time at which the player can get hurt during the flashing should be decreased.

Perhaps you could make an "Easy" mode, or just make "Normal" mode easier - maybe by decreasing all of the damage done.

Perhaps I'm just bad at the game - I will keep trying, as I want to see the end.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »

Has anyone played this yet?

yep. the game definitely has one of my votes for winner in this comp. very enjoyable, nice graphics and sounds, difficult and unique gameplay. Very good take on that cart.

I still haven't gotten to the end. Like Theta I too want to see it.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 06:33:42 PM »

I like the game a lot, though so far I only got to the part after the walls.  It is, in my opinion, rather hard (even on normal mode).  I like the amount of concentration (and quick-thinking) that it requires, but sometimes it becomes a bit unfair when there are too few objects to enter that are safe.
There's always a clear path. It's possible (but very difficult) to beat the game without taking damage.

Did you understand how to use the shield to get past the walls? Did it make sense?

Also, sometimes I would get hurt after entering a fish that had just flashed and fired (but the flashing was done, and the shot was away).  I think maybe the time at which the player can get hurt during the flashing should be decreased.
The player doesn't get hurt by the flashing. It's just a warning for the player to get out of the way if he's in front of the fish. You were either hit by a bullet from a fish swimming behind that one, or you moved through a bullet or urchin on the way there. When you take damage, a red spark will appear to show what damaged you.

Perhaps you could make an "Easy" mode, or just make "Normal" mode easier - maybe by decreasing all of the damage done.
I hear you. I uploaded a new version and reduced the damage you take by 1/3.

yep. the game definitely has one of my votes for winner in this comp. very enjoyable, nice graphics and sounds, difficult and unique gameplay. Very good take on that cart.

I still haven't gotten to the end. Like Theta I too want to see it.
Thanks.  Smiley

I'm surprised so many people have commented on the graphics. Graphics aren't usually my specialty.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 04:43:25 PM by Soulliard » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2010, 10:02:50 AM »

Quote from: Soulliard
Did you understand how to use the shield to get past the walls? Did it make sense?
I actually did not understand quite what to do.  How is the shield activated?

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 04:45:01 PM »

First you need to collect the shield item by moving through it. Then you need to right click at any point on the screen. A mouse icon with the RMB highlighted will appear after you get the first shield item to clarify what you need to do.

Which part of the process was unclear? If it was too confusing, I'll remove that section.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »

First you need to collect the shield item by moving through it. Then you need to right click at any point on the screen. A mouse icon with the RMB highlighted will appear after you get the first shield item to clarify what you need to do.

Which part of the process was unclear? If it was too confusing, I'll remove that section.
Okay, I think I did that (at the time, I did not know that it was the shield).  I must have died for other reasons during that part.  I don't think it was that confusing; it is a nice addition.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 07:28:10 PM »

Tried this out. Man this is hard! But also quite pretty, though it would be even more so if the creatures were animated, and I don't like the blurryness on the moon at the end.

Gameplay works pretty well, and I didn't find it confusing.

I suggest either to add an Easy mode or to make Normal a bit easier than it is now.

Either way an enjoyable game. Beer!Hand Thumbs Up Right

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »

Tried this out. Man this is hard!
When did you download it? I added a new version last night that makes the game a bit easier. If it is still too difficult, I can reduce the difficulty again.

But also quite pretty, though it would be even more so if the creatures were animated, and I don't like the blurryness on the moon at the end.
I agree on both counts. I just didn't have the time to fix them.

Gameplay works pretty well, and I didn't find it confusing.
That's good to hear! My main worry is that players won't understand what is going on or what they have to do.

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:16 PM »

I honestly think this is one of the best, if not the best, game of the compo. The gameplay is very original and has a really great feeling, like a blend of puzzle and shmup (of the defensive kind). I think, though, the execution is good, but not yet perfect. I really hope you can polish it up a little bit because I think this has a lot of potential. Gentleman

Check points would be cool too! Some animations, maybe.

I congratulate you for having such an awesome idea! Great game! Hand Clap Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »

Thank you for the kind words. Smiley

I agree that the execution is only good, and not excellent. The first game of its type is rarely the best, and running out of time certainly didn't help.

I didn't really expect this game to be terribly popular, since in this sort of competition, voters are unlikely to play your game for more than a few minutes. As a result, unfamiliar concepts tend to do poorly. I'm glad at least someone else liked the concept, though.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic