Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:09:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] A Bit of Garden [DONE]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] A Bit of Garden [DONE]  (Read 8453 times)
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

A Bit Of Garden

Lofi Gardening Sim.

A game about gardening. Place plants and import or remove creatures. Watch how the little ecosystem grows. Make adjustments. Repeat. Observe.

The gameplay involve manipulating flowers, bees and other organisms in order to protect your flowers and select for nice looking flowers rather than the dull looking wild flowers. Unless you like wild flowers.

It hasn't turned out that well. Sorry. However, it does include the source code under the X11 license if you are some sort of programming masochist.
             Inspired by

Final Version Download
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:57:48 AM by dontkickpenguins » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 02:11:41 PM »

I really like the idea of this. I'm a sucker for toying with systems. Looking forward to see what you'll come up with.  Gentleman
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:50:19 AM »

We now have a program that generates a field of procedurally generated flowers.

Not very pretty right now, but it's something. The each flower has a little pretend genetic code inside of it, so I'm planning on having them be able to pass on traits to their offspring, and in this way the player can select what kind of flowers they want to grow.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:57:42 AM by dontkickpenguins » Logged

Spross
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 07:37:23 AM »

Looks compelling so far.  I like the idea of a genetic code for each flower.  I'm a sucker for procedurally generated content.   Smiley 

I went to a lecture by Ken Perlin from NYU about procedural animation this past semester.  He had some pretty cool insights about how important "noise" is to making procedural animation.  One example he gave was this http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/experiments/facedemo/.  It's amazing how it goes from lifelike to lifeless when you turn off the noise button in the upper left corner. It looks like you have good "noise" visually with the variety of colors, sizes and shapes.  I can just imagine how cool these would look with a sort of animated swaying in the breeze.  A random tangent but those screen shots made me think of it.

Look forward to seeing more.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:52 AM »

Don't save screenshots as compressed JPG's, it looks awful. Try to export them as high quality, or just use PNG's.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »

I am pleased to report some progress! There now exists a bee who pollinates the flowers. Right now, the bee just picks the closest flower, visits it, goes back to the hive and then visits another flower, but I may make it so that different types of bee look for different things in flowers, as otherwise the flowers always end up looking the same.

I've also changed the way that flower's are drawn, although I haven't fixed the draw order yet so after a while the bee is hidden behind the flowers that sprout up around him like a every flowery tumour.

The screenshots below were taken by over a course of about 5-15 mins (I wasn't counting.) Note that flowers unvisited die off and flowers visited thrive (to say the least). Also, I've changed from imgur to photobucket as imgur was messing up the images, turning them into jpgs.

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »

I have an alpha version up here. It's not finished yet but it's vaguly playable and I promised myself that I'd release something by today.

Right now, all you can do is place flowers, bees, aphids and beetles and watch as they interact. The only finished mode is sandbox mode, but when it's finished I plan on having modes where the player must construct a garden according to my bizzare whims. Source code is included just in case someone cares to attempt to follow my fevered mind processes.

Also, have another screenshot.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »

Well, that's certainly interesting so far, and amusing to play with and watch it grow over time.

Here is some feedback on it:

The main menu text blends heavily with the busy background, and is very hard to read. You should make it a more contrasting color, and maybe a thicker font.

It's nice to watch everything interact, but beetles and aphids seems difficult to maintain sustainable. I think they each far too often. Maybe you should make them resist longer without food and have them eat only when they start getting hungry.

The game would benefit from some gentle sounds and an atmospheric music.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 02:05:36 PM »

Running out of time so here is the final version (barring an extension).

Download link here.

To be honest, I'm not really happy with how it's turned out, but I've gained some experience with pygame, so that's cool.

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:35 AM »

I doubt anyone is reading this, but I'm using the extention to add better sound effects and levels which will require the player to produce certain types of flowers in the garden. Should have that done by the 7th.

increpare
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 03:38:44 AM »

I'll hold off playing until then, so - best of luck : )
Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:50:33 AM »

Could you implement it so that left click deletes an object?
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 07:50:17 AM »

Could you implement it so that left click deletes an object?
I've added a right click as a kill button as left is already used to move things. Is that ok?

I've also found some creative commons background sound which I have to turn into an mp3 and use as background sound and got some the first hardcoded level pretty much done. My main fear with this is that I'm just adding the levels on top of the already done engine, so I'll probably run out of fun tasks to give the player soon.

Chubysnow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 09:31:12 AM »

Yeah, my left and right clicks get messed up, thank you.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »

Ran out of time and didn't add as much as I wanted, but it is done. Download here. Source code if you want it is here.

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »

I'm having some problems running this. It starts up ok but if I select Basic Flower Breeding after a couple of movements it will just shut itself down.

Then if I select Sandbox I get horroble beeps from my computer and some error messsage on the console saying something like "Deprecation Warning: integer argument expected, got float" and the game shuts down.

So, unplayable for me so far.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 06:21:39 AM »

I'm not sure what is going on in this game, even after reading the instructions. Also the game quits whenever I loose a level, is that intentional? I'd much prefer it to take me back to the menu screen.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »

crashes randomly for me, and always too fast for me to catch what the error is in the console window
Darkebrz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

Start up. First level, bees touch flower, crash.
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 10:49:57 PM »

I also get a crash.  To reproduce, just go into Basic Flower Breeding and wait a bit.  Here's what I could print screen with my ninja keyboard skills:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\cx_Freeze\initscripts\Console.py", line 27, in <module>
  File "bitofgarden.py", line 844, in <module>
  File "bitofgarden.py", line 537, in main
  File "C:\Python26\lib\random.py", line 261, in choice
IndexError: list index out of range

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic