Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:16:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Sandy Evolution [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Sandy Evolution [FINISHED]  (Read 37555 times)
Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »

Description

Sandy Evolution is a unique side scrolling shooter through an abstract world in which you eliminate enemy creatures. Upon killing them, you have the ability to absorb there fragments, transforming you into the enemy. You gain there abilities for a period of time.

Trailer

Download
Mirror 1:http://www.mediafire.com/?7g62tmgcfaw9nm8
Mirror 2: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/sandy-evolution/files/sandy-evolution/download/3157/4243/

Controls
WASD - Move
Down Arrow - Shoot
Right Arrow - Absorb Fragments (hold)
Up Arrow - Release Enemy

Sandy Evolution is finally done! When I say done, i mean I got what I wanted done for the competition.  Smiley The project we decided to tackle was quite big, and can not be completely finished by the end of this contest. We finished one level complete with a boss. We plan for the finished game to have around 10 levels, but that will not be any time soon.

I apologize for the large file size, and I will try and spit out a lighter version. Some resources within the game file that will be used for future game play are bogging it down a bit.

If you find any bugs please give me a holler! I apologize for the lack of updates and what not, but any time I would get on this site I found myself playing your awesome creations and browsing the forms instead of doing work!  Cheesy (which is not a bad thing, but toward the end I really lacked time)

As the game continues past this contest I will be sure to update! We hope to explore the game mechanic a bit more in depth and hopefully create something even more intuitive with it. We are happy with what we released and hope you guys enjoy it!

--- Special thanks to Lee, Matt, and Mitch for helping test/design the game  Beer! ---

Initial Inspiration

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:26:11 PM by Pocketninja » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »

Sounds interesting, especially the fact you might have to cope with your rapid evolutions.
B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »

Nice, I picked the same one but went a completely different direction  Beer!

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:54:36 AM »

Screen Shot Update!

Just a part of a level with some of the baddies.  Ninja (art work by David Sleboda)We are going to change the main character (the  orange) As of right now he shoots parts of his body. Its starting to come together quite nice!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 11:33:08 AM by Pocketninja » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »

I love that art.  Kiss

Gameplay sounds a bit like a more action-y version E.V.O. Search For Eden or some hybrid of flOw and horizontal shmup. Shooting body parts is an awesome idea.  Wink
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:00:17 PM »

Wow, that's looking great.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:32:05 PM »

Thanks guys! Right now it seems it will be much like a horizontal shump, and I'm trying to think of interesting ways to make the game play very original. So far, I'm figuring that when the enemies die, you can collect there fragments and you will slowly start to evolve and gain new abilities. The graphics are very unique and i'm hoping to craft some unique game play to suit -- but i'm having a bit of trouble. Any suggestions? Anything is much appreciated!  Gentleman

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »

Oh man those graphics  Kiss Really look forward to this!!!

Well the nature of unpredictable evolution would be pretty awesome within it's own right so yea. You can collect enemy parts to get an evolution but you can avoid them if you don't want to risk getting a not-so-helpful evolution or something. I dunno.

Best of luck!  Gentleman
Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »

Alright so the game is coming alone quite well, however ill have to crank in order to finish it in time  Who, Me? The game ended up as a semi-shump puzzler esq game in which you need to kill your enemies and evolve into them, using their abilities to efficiently navigate through the levels. Becoming the right enemy at the right time will help you gain more points and make it much easier to beat the level.

Below is a picture of a massive explosion!  Beer! 18 enemies slowly begin to close in on you. Shooting one and sneaking out is an option; but becoming an enemy that the ability to shoot bullets in all directions allows for a much better option (as you can see). There is one enemy left that is about to be showered by shards of his friends. Ill post a build of a level soon so you guys can give some great criticism! Thanks!  Gentleman

Spross
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 06:36:42 AM »

I look forward to playing this.  The art is pretty amazing and the evolution mechanic sounds cool.
  So how does the evolution work exactly?  Do you continue to grow and have new abilities stack on top of one another or are they like different weapon power ups? For example, if I collect the pieces of one that shoot bullets in all directions and then the pieces of one with homing bullets would I have homing bullets that shoot in all directions or just homing bullets? 
Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:27:15 AM »

@Spross

That is an awesome point; but as of right now you become the enemy you suck up (an orange variation of them) and have their abilities. As you use their abilities you start to shake and blur and then transform back to your original form. You quickly move in and out of people rather than sit as one. The abilities do not stack; although that is a great idea and may have to be implemented in the future. In 2 days ill have a build for you to play around with and see what its like.  Well, hello there!

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 11:59:35 PM »

Kirby's Adventure: The Shmup!

I love ability-stealing in any game. Your art is fantasmo.

|
Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »

What we planned on finishing for our entry regarding this game is finished! Please check it out and leave some feedback, thanks!

chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »

Wow - this is awesome! Really love the style and gameplay... looking forward to a future version with more levels.

I don't really have any criticism except a couple of times I mistook the info panel for an enemy looming above me.
Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 09:38:41 PM »

Yea! I agree actually haha; I just couldn't think of another way to represent the score/attack power. Everything in the game (until that) was represented visually, and I liked that. Leaving text/health bars etc out was a cool approach (in my opinion hahah) However, displaying the score killed that, and I can't think of a great way to do it! Any suggestions?

Oh and Thanks so much for the kinds words! Glad you enjoyed it  Beer!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:41:58 PM by Pocketninja » Logged

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »

The art style is creepy-awesome, and the gameplay it pretty nice too. Not much to comment on as far as feedback goes. I'll let you know if there's anything later on. For now though, it's a pretty nice work. Beer!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:42:10 PM by Melly » Logged

Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 08:30:55 AM »

I just composed a quick video trailer, and it turned out quite nice  Coffee haha. Check it out:

chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 01:38:39 PM »

Yea! I agree actually haha; I just couldn't think of another way to represent the score/attack power. Everything in the game (until that) was represented visually, and I liked that. Leaving text/health bars etc out was a cool approach (in my opinion hahah) However, displaying the score killed that, and I can't think of a great way to do it! Any suggestions?

I think it's fine if the alpha for the background shape is reduced a bit so it's not quite as dark. Also maybe have a slightly more compact version of the shape (and without the dangly bit) so it's a bit less intrusive?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »

Avira accused the game's executable of being a virus. It's most probably a false-positive (Avira is great at those), but I thought I'd let you guys know.

I need a better anti-virus.

EDIT: Actually, that may have been the file in the torrent with all the games. I'll verify.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:01:22 PM by Melly » Logged

Pocketninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »

Shocked That very strange -- I can assure you it is not a virus though. However, that is odd; especially because you probably have downloaded various GM made games and they did not trigger. I wonder what made it different? Any details on the report?

It made it past YYGs virus scanner  Durr...?  hahah

But yea, it is definitely not a virus, but I also defiantly would not like it to trigger as one.

@Melly's Edit: Ah, ok. Thanks much, hopefully your assumption is correct.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:42:22 PM by Pocketninja » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic