Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:17:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Acutewar - Ambition of Four Kingdoms
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Acutewar - Ambition of Four Kingdoms  (Read 7374 times)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:20:40 AM »

Progress:0%                100%
Engine   [@@@@@@@@@@@@--------]
Story    [@@@@@---------------]
Graphics [@@@-----------------]
Campaign [--------------------]

ACUTEWAR - Ambition of Four Kingdoms

Description

Is the simultaneous-time strategic war game Acutewar grand imperial conquest. And deployment of capital to protect the rule! Employment and military victory is a good idea, not enough to use them, facing certain defeat! Words of wisdom of establishing a plan of drawing the ancient sage!

This is fab! -Sun Tzu
Radical! Simply playalicious! -Clausewitz
             Inspired by

Critical war has never been as cute!

Great was the prize of imperial dominion, and great were the ambition of the kingdoms! Four realms will be made into one! Who will triumph and obtain living Godhood? And who will be relegated to mere passages in the analects telling the story of the victor? In a time of ambition peace will cost dearly.

Acutewar is an epic concurrent-time strategic wargame of imperial conquest. Protect your capital and expand your dominion! Employ your troops wisely and triumph, but use them poorly and face certain defeat! Draw on wise teachings of ancient Sages when enacting your stratagems!

Acutewar is a game of a type similar to Advance Wars but is played on a tiled world map where all moves are played out at the same time. Positioning your troops for mutual support is critical for success, as is using your limited messengers for optimal orders. Use infantry, archers and cavalry, but also assassins, scouts, baggage trains and field commanders as part of your combined force operations! And all in cute presentation!

The team and the game:
Team Wild Ambitions consists of the programmers Mikademus and PJägare. It is written in C++ using SMFL and will run on Windows, Linux and OSX. We would welcome artists and musicians and musical  artists and any combination thereof!

The ambition: ACUTEWAR is a strategy game played on a tiled map. As any violence no matter how horrible is perfectly acceptable if it is pretty enough this game hopes to be adorable! Chibi characters and fluffy colours will make for very family-friendly war! Given time we will have very different unit types, simple but deep tactical battle options, a campaign or perhaps even strategic mode, and perhaps even a story actually having to do with the imperial ambitions of four kingdoms possibly in a Asiatic setting! Kiss

Prototype 2010-07-02 screen shot with horrible programmer art and random creative commons graphics:

Prototype 2010-07-09 screen shot with Oryx art to show movement and push-backs:

Gameplay: Orders are given (which costs messengers) and when all players are done these are carried out and combat resolved. Units will give bonuses and disadvantages depending on how they are positioned - morale and defence is improved by having friends supporting flanks and sapped by outflanking enemies. Units will advance or be pushed back with close combat outcomes and will eventually rout. Conquer your opponents home citadel but don't lose your own!

The units currently consists of
  • Soldiers - sturdy melee units
  • Archers - weak in combat but fires at a distance
  • Cavalry - fast chargers and flankers
  • Scouts - hidden and with extra spotting range
  • Engineers - can build fortifications for soldiers and towers for archers
  • Field commanders - can order neighbouring units without costing messengers
  • Assassins - hidden killers
  • Baggage train - Resupplies neighbouring units

The map terrain types are
    • Plains
    • Hills - Slow
    • Mountains - Impassable
    • Forests - Difficult terrain.
    • Deserts - Hot! You'll lose troops unless supplied!

News:
    • 2010-07-01: A fast prototype with ugly programmer art has been hacked together.
    • 2010-07-02: Sound system added and some terrifying programmer art employed.
    • 2010-07-09: Movement system really nice now. And more orders == deeper tactics!
    « Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:20:37 AM by Mikademus » Logged

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
    PJägare
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:49:28 AM »

Hi everyone. We're planning to make a great game here. As Mike said, you are very welcome if you want to contribute, or give us some feedback.
    Melly
    Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »

A strategy game in a month? Awesome! Count me in for the excited club.

Feel free to disregard the above.
    Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
    Inanimate
    Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 02:02:53 PM »

Ambitious indeed! I can't wait to see how the game looks, and that gameplay soundsv very nice.
    Mikademus
    Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:06:55 AM »

Thanks guys! The gameplay will be there--the prototype is advancing in leaps and bounds--it is graphical assets that's the bottleneck for strategy games, especially as we are doctors^x^x^x^x^x^xprogrammers, not artists Sad

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
    PJägare
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »

Here, have a screenshot:

In this image the two units closest to the centre both tried to enter the tile between them, thus entering conflict. Since neither won a decisive victory, both were pushed back whence they came.
    Mikademus
    Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »

Update: Prototype now furnished with rudimentary programmer art and images pilfered from random creative commons hideouts. Screenshot aggressively inserted in first post, ph3ar it! ARTISTS, HELP! Smiley Sound system integrated and ONE sound effect now in the game! Ninja

Farmergnome
    2pacalypse Now
    Level 8

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »

This looks like its gonna be awesome, If I wasn't arting on another entry id be so up for this  Beer!  Excited!  Best o luck guys.

PJägare
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »

Update: Units now end up in conflict when approaching the same tile border from opposite directions, instead of cheerfully passing through each other because they're never actually on the same tile. Also, retreating units now retreat concurrently, instead of sequentially in an arbitrary order based on their position on the unit list.

In other news, not having internet access for most of the day does wonders for your productivity.
    Mikademus
    Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 05:21:29 AM »

Update: All map data (and some other stuff) is now loaded from resource (script) files rather than being hard-coded. Thus, we're starting to move away from prototype phase to actual real honest game phase! Well, hello there!

Mikademus
    Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »

Progress update: added progress bars to the top post.

THIS... IS.... MEEEEEEEETAAAAAAAAAAAH! Mock Anger

Hangedman
    Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 04:19:10 PM »

I may have to steal those progress meters.

AUST
    ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
    There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
    PJägare
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 09:47:02 PM »

Update: Post battle movement is now animated instead of having everything just snap to their positions. I should make a GIF of this or something. Also some other stuff that doesn't actually make a visible difference yet.
    PJägare
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 08:16:13 PM »

Update: Switched to oryx's lofi fantasy sprites from the assemblee competition, due to them having sprites facing in four directions, which we kind of need. Still no mounted sprites, though. Also made an animated GIF:

Two combats happening at the same time, one ending in a draw, one won by the blue guy. Currently the battles are resolved instantly, but there will be some animation there later (a cloud of dust, @!%#-style swearing, stuff like that probably).

I've also added the ability to turn to face a direction without moving, and archery!
    Inanimate
    Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 01:22:21 AM »

Sounding great so far, guys!
    Strom
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »

May the best man win Gentleman

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
    PJägare
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 03:08:28 AM »

Indeed. Smiley It'll be interesting to compare games.
    PJägare
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 01:10:29 AM »

Update: Units will now make reasonable choices of where to retreat. This means, among other things, that they will not fall off the map. Smiley
    J. R. Hill
    Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #18 on: July 17, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »

I think I get more ideas for gameplay from glitches than from finished products haha.

hi
    Mikademus
    Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 09:19:30 AM »

We've still not dropped out and hope to have something somewhat playable thanks to the extension. The core code is not the problem--most of the core game mechanics is actually in place--but rather the gfx resources. We had hoped for some valiant fellow community dwellers to lend a help for the greater good but so far our cries for help have been silenced by an enormous void; in the words of that guy who runs SomethingAwful, "as a dildo in the hands of Ann-Nichole Smith, I quiver for and fear the all-encompassing darkness before me!"

Oh btw, that last sentence might be nsfw. I hope you read it clandesto-style.

Pages: [1] 2
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic