Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 02:02:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Cat Poke [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Cat Poke [FINISHED]  (Read 111316 times)
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:04 AM »

really nice game, and those cats are so cute! Beer!

The menu highlight (using the objects menu) got a bit lost sometimes when it was over a `poked` cat icon (black got lost on the black).

Just hope she washes her finger before eating her tea (...if she had a hygiene meter it would be off the scale)  Concerned

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »

Cute little game! challenging and fun too!  Smiley

I found the controls a bit unintuitive and broken. Being a short game that requires no fast and precise movements it wasn't all that bad, but still could have felt more natural IMHO.

Graphics and animations are awesome! The song is cool but I think it gets a bit repetitive. All in all I think the idea is very good and original. You got a good contender here, sir. Congrats!  Gentleman

I found a little bug, not really very important: (you have to be carrying the pillow and any other item you can leave -food or candle-) in the room where there's the cat that runs and hides under the bed, leave the pillow on the floor then select the candle/food and leave it too and the pillow will move to the spot you placed this last item. If you re-enter the room and try to place the candle/food on the floor it will leave the pillow too. Bug only happens in that room (it's where you find the pillow BTW, so may be related to that).

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2010, 03:14:39 PM »

Really nice! I was able to find them all, though i needed some help from this thread for the washing machine cat. I think you may want to fix up this one a bit because I ran around the house for a long time looking for a solution, but i actually had all the items necessary to get the cat. The only problem was that i was placing a certain item in the wrong spot, apparently too close to the cat. Only after looking in this thread did i realize i had all the items and was doing it right, I just needed to move the item over a bit (farther away from the cat?).

I also found a glitch in the game where I was able to poke the TV cat before he was out from behind the table. I was just walking around pressing 'poke' in that room whenever it showed the cat poke screen and I was confused. Whenever I went back into the room i discovered the cat was actually in the location that I was in whenever I poked him (it's like the cat was always there even though his sprite was drawn somewhere else.) So if this isn't a glitch it must mean that Mistoffelees is some sort of ghost cat and brings a whole other dimension into this story (the spirit dimension).

Great game though, really nice graphics and fun puzzles. Good work!  Wizard  Hand Thumbs Up Right

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »

This was great - the graphics are clean and cute, the puzzles are interesting, and I love the "paintings" in the hallway and bedroom!

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2010, 10:28:21 PM »

This is really charming, and definitely my favorite of your games thus far!

I like the fact that each environment is unique. It made traveling through rooms much more enjoyable. There are a lot of fun details to look at, like the paintings on the walls and the sock on the washing machine.

I think my main grievance is that sometimes I felt like the puzzles were a bit fiddly and involved more guesswork than problem solving. Sometimes even when I had the right answer, I thought it was wrong because the game didn't accept the item drop areas I used.

Oh, also I found the stairs counterintuitive. It took me a while to figure out that the only way to descend is to cross the end of the staircase while jumping...

Consider these small points as constructive criticism though. All told I found the game quite enjoyable. Thanks for making it!
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2010, 12:34:18 AM »

@guillermo and handCraftedRadio: Ah thanks for catching those. I'll see what i can do and possibly get V1.2 out.

@Sparky: First of all thank you! If I had more time to art I would have put in a lot more small details such as the sock, but since my programming is slow most of my time went towards that :/

As for the stairs, I had like three different ways to go down but they were all hard to figure out. Jumping still isn't the greatest, but it works.

Sorry everyone who had trouble with the placement of items. I know the dining room one was the worst, but I tried to make it line up with the animation [meaning if the food was on the pillow the head would be sticking out eating the table]

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »

Ahhh I love it, this is one of my favorites.  So much style.

Only thing was the unintuitive placement of some of the items, especially the pillow and food.  The solution for getting to Macavity wasn't very clear either but solvable.  Awesome game though.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »

My bets are on this game for winner.

Hand Money Left Outraged Hand Money Right
OH MAKE ME PROUD!

hi
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2010, 01:36:12 AM »

This is ridiculously adorable and, uh, a little disturbing. I agree with the gameplay issues others have brought up, but what other game lets you anally probe a cat? I thought your character animations were perfect and I loved your paintings. Who's the guy with the backpack? Anyway, you've made a pretty awesome game here.

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »

Aww.  This was my favorite of the comp so far!  I loved that it was kind of adventure game-lite.  And the cuteness was off the scale!

As has been said, some of the drop areas were a bit fiddly, and the stairs were weird, but this was a very charming game.  Thank you!

Mar
Level 1

Bat-Llama

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »

My bets are on this game for winner.

Hand Money Left Outraged Hand Money Right
OH MAKE ME PROUD!

agreed Cool

"insta-fucking-ly"
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2010, 11:47:05 AM »

Alright, I fixed both the glitches and uploaded V1.2

@miconazole: Guy with the backpack is an original character. You can find him at the comics section of my site.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »

Jaj, let me know next time you update the file or the link on the page becomes wrong (like it is now).

I won't warn a second time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:25:28 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2010, 04:10:29 AM »

Very cute game! I can't seem to figure out Mungojerrie and Demeter though. I've tried placing the yarn in every imaginable spot in the room, but the cat won't come out. Am I missing something? And as for Demeter, I'm completely lost. Anyone have any hints?  Beg
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2010, 06:21:58 AM »

This is awesome.  Fantastic art style and presentation.  And caaaaaaaats!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin

Rolly
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »

Funny game! I love the "Poked!" success screen.

And as for Demeter, I'm completely lost.
For Demeter, just avoid making any sudden movements.

I can't seem to figure out Mungojerrie
You have to tease him out.
Hyudra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

Can't seem to end the game.  All cats poked, and I'm at what I'm pretty sure is the endpoint, but pressing S doesn't do anything for me.

And as is usual, after trying for maybe 5 min, I find the answer right after I finish posting.
gingerbeardman
Level 0

#agbic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2010, 03:09:40 PM »

This is awesome. Brilliant work.

would like the ability to save so I don't have to play it through in one sitting.

thanks for the game

Daily Driver for Playdate https://www.patreon.com/dailydriver
deathtotheweird
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2010, 03:28:38 PM »

demeter is impossible for me. i liked the game until i got to this point

someone on tigirc helped me with this, still think that was incredibly stupid. if i knew there was a crouch button in the first place..maybe put that in the readme next time.

edit: why can't I see the end? I keep pressing open on the door and no dice. very frustrating to have spent 30 minutes on vague obscure puzzles just to not be able to end the game.

i had to play it another time to get the ending, this time i received a message that the rain stopped. the first time i played i never tried to open the door, that may be the source of the bug?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:59:49 PM by allen » Logged
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:27 PM »

Agreed on the fiddly item placement, in particular the one in the dining room; I must have placed those things five times before it worked.

Also, the washing machine. I didn't see an obvious button there, so I didn't think I could open it without climbing up onto the machine. Of course, the ladder didn't work in that room. Speaking of which, I didn't have a problem figuring out that I could pick up the ladder. It took me a minute to figure out that I didn't need to pick it up each time. It also took me a little bit to figure out that once an item left the inventory, it was gone for good.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic