Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:00:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Cat Poke [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Cat Poke [FINISHED]  (Read 111127 times)
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2010, 05:29:47 PM »

I really like what you made man, good job dude  Beer! That is all  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:01:22 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:49 PM »

@gingerbeardman

I thought about adding a save option, but the game seemed too short for me.

@allen

Ah you're right I should have added crouch to the list of controls. Sorry about that.

DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2010, 10:44:14 PM »

the indie games blog has posted about your game: http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/08/freeware_game_pick_cat_poke_ja.html
They also made a video:

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2010, 10:59:32 PM »

wow that's awesome! thanks for sharing!

Doomsday One
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2010, 01:50:41 AM »

edit: why can't I see the end? I keep pressing open on the door and no dice. very frustrating to have spent 30 minutes on vague obscure puzzles just to not be able to end the game.

i had to play it another time to get the ending, this time i received a message that the rain stopped. the first time i played i never tried to open the door, that may be the source of the bug?

I had the same issue with the end. Despite poking all cats, I just couldn't open the door (and I got no message about the rain stopping). I had tried previously in that run to open the door, so it must be something other than never trying to open the door.
My last cat poked was Tumblebrutus, so maybe it was that?

[EDIT] I was watching my sister play through the game, and noticed that a message also comes up if you try to open the front door while it's still raining - I never got that. I tried to open the front door rather late into the game - having been in every other room bar the attic and the room with the washing machine - so I take back what I said about never attempting to open the door certainly not being the cause of the bug.

Other than that, a really charming game!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:29:33 AM by Doomsday One » Logged
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2010, 06:56:41 AM »

Excellent, well polished entry. There are a few annoyances which frustrated me quite a bit. Often I would figure out what I needed to do but when I tried it out it would fail because I'd placed an object in slightly the wrong place. You should give the player a lot more leeway in object placement so that the challenge is in the puzzle solving and not the execution. The Cassandra one really annoyed me. I had figured it out, but after 5 minutes of placing the objects in every position I could think of I assumed I was on the wrong track. In the end I checked out the vid posted earlier and realised I was correct, but had placed one of the objects in slightly the wrong spot. Angry If you ironed this out this would be an superb game. Good work. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »

I could try to make the sensors larger, but would that make it look weird?

Like with Cassandra, if I make the sensor further left from the pillow then when she plays the eating animation she would be eating the table since the food is away more. does that make sense?

and if so would that be weird?

Which are all the puzzles that are annoying?
the most popular I've seen is Cassandra and Tumblebrutus, but are there any more I should give more leeway to?

gingerbeardman
Level 0

#agbic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »

Just finished this. Loved it.

I got stuck on the placement of the candle and the food, as did a lot of other people. I think people would be happier with larger sensors and the graphics "jumping" from where the put them to where they need to be for the animation? Rather than not being able to find the correct spot for the object.

But, that said, I still think the game is fantastic!

Great work.
matt

Daily Driver for Playdate https://www.patreon.com/dailydriver
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »

Instead of only increasing the area in which the items can be placed, increase the area and have the item move instantly to its proper position when placed. This way you don't have the frustration of having the right puzzle solution, but then not placing the item 'properly', and the animations also play the way you want them to as the items are where they should.

Don't worry about it looking 'weird'. Molly has no 'place item' animation anyway, so it's not really a big stretch.

EDIT: Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »

Instead of only increasing the area in which the items can be placed, increase the area and have the item move instantly to its proper position when placed.

That is a really great idea. I think I will do this for the candle and food.

Watching the video I noticed placing the toilet paper and string need to be fix.

Other then those 4 everything seemed good, so unless somebody had a lot of trouble with another item I will only be fixing those.

Version 1.3 will be out soon and should include:
non frustrating item placement
a few small bugs i forgot to take out
MAYBE fixing the door issue. I've never gotten this bug myself so finding the source is difficult, but I have a possible solution.

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2010, 04:01:27 AM »

This game is a winner! I love it.

I wrote a review in french on my blog if you want some feedback : http://oujevipo.fr/20-minutes/cat-poke

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2010, 10:16:21 AM »

Wow! thanks! [Can't read it though..]

Also you need to change the Windows/Mac. The games only runs on Windows but since I made the read me and compressed into a zip on my mac for some reason it created a mac folder. The download only contains an exe though.

Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »

my mistake, i remoded it. Thank you.

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2010, 03:18:13 AM »

You've been linked on Gaygamer: http://gaygamer.net/2010/08/fantastic_freebie_cat_poke.html

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2010, 06:17:01 PM »

I can't tell if this article is positive or nagative. Thanks for telling me about it though!

I still need 1 or 2 more things for version 1.3 but i've already fixed the bad item placement.

In response to the article:

Molly isn't literally poking the cat's butthole. Just the backside [as if you were sneaking up to a cat]

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »

I thought that was pretty clear, but it seems there's plenty of people that think otherwise.  Then again my game actually included (accidental) pig-butt-touching so maybe I poisoned their minds...

hi
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

WOAH WOAH WOAH Molly is NOT poking cats in the assholeWTF

Mar
Level 1

Bat-Llama

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2010, 09:54:41 PM »

duh, have you ever had a cat?

would you REALLY wanna poke that?

"insta-fucking-ly"
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »

I feel suddenly vindicated

(got my mother to play through earlier today, she found it delightful)

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2010, 11:18:10 PM »

Okay guys! Version 1.3 is up!

I fixed the nasty placement sensors, and a few bugs
I also added your play time in the credits for people who like to speed-run battle.

Let me know what you all think.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic