Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411274 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:41:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGIncomprehensible Penguin Arena *Completed*
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Incomprehensible Penguin Arena *Completed*  (Read 16509 times)
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »

When the penguins reach a certain age they migrate to a secret place. What happens there is something incomprehensible even to the penguins themselves. That place is the Incomprehensible Penguin Arena! The place where penguins fight for no specific reasons, fishes and penguins fall from the sky and tens of leopard seals swim randomly while killing penguins that happen to be in their way.

I'm coding the game since March, 9th using C++/SDL. The gameplay is mostly finished and I'm currently working on a scoring system. I'd post a playable demo but currently I'm on a linux-only machine and I can't compile a windows version.

March, 23th Update!

I finally finished it after two weeks of work. I hope you all have fun with this simple little game. I tested in a few Windows XP machines but I couldn´t test it on Vista so I don´t know if it will work. I´ll be around for today so post here if you find any bugs so that I can try to fix it.

Screenshots:
Title Screen
Gameplay

Download link: http://jefrsilva.googlepages.com/IncomprehensiblePenguinArena_v2.zip (~5mb)

Patch for those who downloaded the file IncomprehensiblePenguinArena.zip:
http://jefrsilva.googlepages.com/IncomprehensiblePenguinArena_Patch.zip (~41kb)

- If the game does not run, try to install the Visual C++ Runtime (vcredist_x86.exe) included with the game.
- Read the included README for detailed instructions about the game

Now it is time to test some of the finished submissions  Grin

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:53:25 AM by CodingMantis » Logged
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:56:29 PM »

That looks pretty awesome. And totally incomprehensible. :D

olücæbelel
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »

Holy shit, that looks fun! Shocked :D
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:08:42 AM »

Finished it !

Read the first post for download link and screenshots.
seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 07:48:57 AM »

Oh my. That's absolutely amazing. I rarely have a clue what's going on, but I love it! The sounds and graphics are excellent, controls are great, everything about it is brilliant! I love it.
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »

The penguins look adorable. It's fun and totally chaotic :D. Sound, graphics and gameplay are a great match.

One bug: if I get enough points to enter my name in the highscores, the game crashes whenever I want to start a new game in the menu. Appearently the scoretable file isn't saved correctly. It's 0 byte after I enter something in the highscores. I have to restore the scoretable file from the archive to get it working again.

Also could you hide the highscore table after a name has been entered? I'd love to just watch the remaining penguins for a while Wink.
Jeferson R. Silva
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:03:10 AM »

Thanks for the comments and for the bug report. I just experienced this bug and lost my first position with 1285 points  Cry

I´ll work on it right now. Oh, and I´ll try to add an option to hide the highscore table.

Updated: Fixed the bug and included the requested option. Download the patch or the second version from the links on the first post.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:54:23 AM by CodingMantis » Logged
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:22:53 AM »

This game is great fun! Awesome job :D
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:23:35 AM »

I think a lot of games are going to focus more on certain parts of their titles than others, but this captures exactly what an incomprehensible penguin arena should be like. Absolutely fantastic.
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 08:10:40 AM »

Updated: Fixed the bug and included the requested option. Download the patch or the second version from the links on the first post.

Wohoo! Thanks. I can't believe for how long I watched them kick each other around :D.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »

Oh man, this game is adorable.
Love the sound effects.
Love the music.
Love the penguins.
Love the seals.
Love the bonus challenge system.

In summary:
 Kiss Kiss Kiss
thecheese
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 11:25:41 AM »

Wow this is fun

-C
Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »

First impressions? More like first impressed-sions!

I particularly like the fact that the incomprehensibility comes from solid yet chaotic game mechanics, rather than just chucking in a load of teapots/Spaniards/polecats etc. I can't wait to try playing this with someone who isn't me.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »

I'm not sure what to say about this one. It's frustrating, yet fun. It's simply, yet complicated. It's frantic, yet considered. It's a penguin arena, yet incomprehencible. I take my hat off to you sir. Good stuff.

gnawingonfoot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 05:08:12 PM »

This is so bizarre and frantic and... fun!  And it's nice to see another simultaneous multiplayer game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic