Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:23:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMagnetic Shaving Derby for iPhone
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Magnetic Shaving Derby for iPhone  (Read 5099 times)
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:22:18 AM »

Yo! I have just finished my first iPhone game.. a new version of my DS magnetic shaving game Tongue

It's a little pixelly arcade mini-game about shaving a guy (whose beard keeps growing back) by attracting a razor with a magnet. iPhone version has time trial mode (basically the same as the DS version) and 3-minute score attack, which has powerups and other random stuff. It's a bit um...what's the opposite of minimalistic? Grin But everything in it has a use.

It's a simple game. It's all about the visceral feel of shaving, and things going bop and exploding.

Video of score attack mode:

The tiny 6.5 minute chiptune soundtrack can be grabbed here: http://nyarla.gazaxian.com/MSD_OST.zip

Submitted it to Apple a couple days ago...yay!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:12:56 PM by nyarla » Logged
Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 02:54:24 AM »

yeay :D

I write AGameAWeek, and I've got over 350 games to prove it!!
---
Load, Next List
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 06:27:31 AM »

That, my good man, is hilarious. Grin

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »

I want this game so fucking badly. Curse you, credit card absence.
Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 08:23:50 AM »

Grab an iTunes gift voucher..  Much safer, imo, 'cos you can't go freakin' mental with those little "it's only $.99" apps, and suddenly end up spending $15,000 on the things!!  The voucher gives you the safety limit Wink

---
Load, Next List
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:50:57 AM »

Haha, thanks dudes Smiley
*waves to Jayenkai*

When it appears on the apps store I get some promo code thingies to give to people so they can get a free copy, though they only work for people in the US, sadly..  I'll stick some here cos <3 TIGForums.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »

*Tries to score a free code*
Does the code expire after a given time? Because there won't be an iPod in our family in the US till August.
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure they don't expire, or at least if they do it's nowhere near that quickly. Worry not, Sir Raptor!
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 11:05:16 PM »

Whee! It's out. 99 cents, for now Tongue

iTunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magnetic-shaving-derby/id380720642?mt=8

Hey if anyone wants a promo code for a free copy, PM me. (US app store only).
Figured I wouldn't post them publicly so as random searching people who aren't tig members don't use them.

Sir Raptor: I found out the promo codes expire 4 weeks after I request them, so give us a yell when you're ipodded up and i'll request/send you one...
Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:25 PM »

Paid!

(but midway through my 200-fest, so won't be playing until later!)

---
Load, Next List
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »

Oh sweet, thanks dude Smiley  Hope ya like it. Tell me what you reckon!

I have just installed iOS4 on my iPod (a 2nd generation one) and for some reason MSD isn't as smooth as under iOS3.. that's a shame. Turning on "airplane mode" (wifi off) seems to make it smoother, but overall it's a tad more sluggish... hopefully on newer devices it's all fast & good. I have no way of checking yet.

Working on an update now to make it, with any luck, a bit faster again on older devices, plus some other stuff.
Grif
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 02:24:02 AM »

Just tried it out, thanks loads for the promo code. My initial reaction: Wow that was weird, but, also pretty entertaining.

Controls were about as intuitive as they get, and it's a pretty simple reward mechanic. Just wondering, is there any way to shave the moustachio-area without nicking lips/nose?

Seems like a good game to pick up and play whenever I need a few minute's distraction, and that's all I really ask out of applications like this.

Plus, it's delightfully weird enough to get that instant "WTF" reaction that works as a conversation starter.
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 03:00:42 AM »

Hehe, cool, thanks for your impression Smiley

It um..should be possible to shave the moustache in time trial mode without being nicked. It's extremely difficult. It was easier in an earlier build where the razor moved slower. You sort of have to get the razor moving in the right direction and then quickly move the magnet underneath so the razor turns horizontal, while keeping the sideways momentum. I haven't managed to actually do it myself for ages D:   Might have to look into that and make sure it's still technically possible! I'd forgotten all about it.

In score attack mode you can shave the moustache easily after collecting the ghost powerup, but it's not so vital there.

goldbuick
Level 1

where am I?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »

I bought it!

--== AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ==--
nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 06:39:36 PM »