Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:01:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] MediéCross [FINISHED / SOURCES AVAILABLE]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] MediéCross [FINISHED / SOURCES AVAILABLE]  (Read 50509 times)
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »

Quick update.

and more of the same :

http://astrofra.com/posts/tig_contest/famicase/dot_additive_07.jpg

http://astrofra.com/posts/tig_contest/famicase/dot_additive_08.jpg

http://astrofra.com/posts/tig_contest/famicase/dot_additive_10.jpg

Tiger

http://astrofra.com/posts/tig_contest/famicase/dot_additive_11.jpg

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2010, 02:37:52 PM »

Ooh, real-time 3d assets that look like clay. That's wonderful. I've been wanting to see a game that does that well for a long time Smiley.

Best wishes with the project!
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 01:44:13 PM »

Thanks Sparky Embarrassed

Here's a small picture tease, just to let you know that the project is not dead at all Tiger

Ryan, the animator, just finished his awesome work, we are finishing the integration into the game, with levels & stuff.

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »

VIDEO UPDATE Tongue

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:08:38 AM by astrofra » Logged

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 09:33:40 AM »

Thread updated, game finished, see first post.

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »

The game looks really really beautiful, well done on the graphics department!

About the gameplay, there's a chance you didn't relate well to different frame rates...
I can't go past the first level, the behaviour of my knight is different from what I've seen in the video, he runs slower (but it appears the timer is not slower), and when I jump he jumps real high (above the screen bounds) and it takes him forever to get back down...

deathtotheweird
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2010, 12:01:26 PM »

Aw I lost on like..level 8. Or whatever level Square is Unfair is. I was like an inch away from the finish too.

Really awesome game, very beautiful. But a bit laggy at times.

Here's a hint if you are having a hard time running the game and getting low fps. Open up "engine.cfg" and change
Code:
<ShadowMapping=True>
to
Code:
<ShadowMapping=False>

This doubled my FPS, and at times even tripled it when I disabled shadows. If you are getting at least 40fps I would say don't bother because you lose a lot of atmosphere when you turn off shadows. But it will run considerably smoother, so it's up to you.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »

I think I'm leaving my body behind. I'm just running with my ball joints and a head.

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2010, 01:40:21 PM »

absolutely gorgeous. I am thoroughly jealous of your artistic talents Smiley

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »

Thx guys for the feedback. Prolly a lofi version wouldn't hurt. Will try to make this asap ! Smiley

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2010, 05:54:44 AM »

Hey Guys. Emman (the coder) just updated the game binary, with massive optimisations. The game should run more smoothly now.
See first post for the binary & info.

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 11:41:27 PM »

I think I found a bug, after I'd died and restarted a few times all the sound disappeared. The console was displaying a message like "all channels in use" so if "channel" refers to audio channels that could be a clue. I was also a little unclear on the gameplay tbh, the meat didn't seem to do anything and the ramps actually seemed to slow me down sometimes :| It'd also be nice if you could retry the level you died on, even for a limited number of times. But anyway I did enjoy playing this and it looks absolutely fantastic, so if you tightened it up a little it'd be all sorts of win.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2010, 01:05:46 AM »

1- Graphics are delicious. You really captured an unique feel with this, and the general shader effects look awesome. I love the cube trees. Kiss

2- Meat seems to do nothing? If it doesn't have a function yet, I'd recommend removing it from the game as it confuses the player into assuming they have to collect it.

3- Being sent back all the way to the beginning if time runs out seems a bit too punishing. The timer is pretty tight already as sometimes one or two hits by barrels are enough to ruin your attempt. Most players will probably give up if they're sent to the beginning.

4- Ramps felt strange. Sometimes they slow you down, depending on the angle you hit them from.

5- Is the knight meant to not have any texture or details? Just asking if it may be a graphical bug as his smoothness clashes a bit with the rough aspect of everyhing else, but not by much.

6- Game could use some in-game music. I really like the little onomatopoeias, though.

Overall I think that with a bit more clarity to the gameplay this could turn out awesome. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2010, 08:52:42 PM »

UPDATE

Thanks people for the awesome feedback. We took a few days to look into these issues & update the game archive.

@miconazole :
The bug you mentionned was fixed. It was my mistake, part of the code I wrote on the early version was allocating the audio channels endlessly. Eventually, the sound driver would give up, having no more channel to replay the sfx Embarrassed

@Melly :
2/ The meat actually adds +0.5 second to the remaining time. A visual feedback now appears for that.

3/ We added lives to the player, allowing a few retries when he dies.

4/ The slope indecision is on purpose. I should have modeled a spring instead of a slope, but couldn't find the time for that :')

5/ Actually, the Knight isn't really textured. I may add some ambiant occlusion on the mesh, but I wanted to be sure that it won't overwhelm the main visual. Readability is important and can easily be ruined when you play with normal maps, shadows & next-gen stuff  Embarrassed

6/ I miss a music too, maybe a background sfx ... We should look into that.

In addition, I refined the "Night" level, which background was almost empty, and Emman fixed a few other glitches. And, Melly, you won't need to update the link in the main page, as the link URL to the update remains the same.

NOT TO MENTION that the sources are available to download (meshes, textures, source code).

See the first post for the thread update.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:52:42 PM by astrofra » Logged

deathtotheweird
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »

Definitely going to check out the source code, this will help me come to grips better with gamestart so I can finally start trying it out.

and the changes to the game (notably the lives system) are a welcome addition  Beer!
DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »

I can't get the game to run. It crashes at start-up. Any suggestions? I already installed both the required files.

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2010, 01:20:40 AM »

"Have you tried to turn it off and on again ?"  Embarrassed
More seriously, is your graphic driver up to date ? Besides, the game requires a GPU that handles pixel shaders model 3 and a bit of vram :') (for the realtime shadows and ambiant occlusion stuff, you know...)
Can you see something in the log window before the crash ?
Thx for your feedback, anyway Smiley

DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:07 AM »

My graphics card is capable of pixel shader 4.0 according to Intel. It is an ehh graphics card anyways which just might be whats causing it. What happens is that the game opens up to the black screen when starting after the command prompt and plays a few tunes before crashing out.

I don't get to see anything before it crashes. I see this in the command prompt http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/DarknessIsRising/8-18-201010-31-40AM.png . I don't see anything odd in it besides not being able to get past the [H] scene reset line. Sorry about the lousy description from earlier. I was up a little late.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:37:13 AM by DarknessKight » Logged

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
ejulien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »

I don't get to see anything before it crashes. I see this in the command prompt http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/DarknessIsRising/8-18-201010-31-40AM.png . I don't see anything odd in it besides not being able to get past the [H] scene reset line.

Oh sorry to read that... It is most certainly a feature that is not setup properly and crashes on a null pointer access (should not happen) or a driver crash (can happen with Intel integrated). I can build a version dumping a crash log on error if you are ok to test it and mail it back to me.
DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »

sure, I can try that and email it back to you. Its probably a driver crash though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic