Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:45:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMooD: Waist-High In Hell
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: MooD: Waist-High In Hell  (Read 11525 times)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:57:34 AM »

Hey everyone! Sorry It's been a while. Reality got crazy and well, we've all heard this story before so I'll cut to the chase.

I'm currently working on a demake and re-imagination of the Doom3 world in the form of a top-down arcade based swarm survival game, titled MooD: Waist-High In Hell.  Progress is coming along super-fast and I'd like to say it should be out soon, but I wont so as not to jinx my ass-kicking streak so far.

No videos of it so far, but here are some pictures and a REAL old alpha to tinker with (the aiming has since been fixed)

Alpha-Build
http://www.mediafire.com/?yde51yowzmn

Well?  Shrug
ghostwheel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »

Looks like it could be fun! I like your original stuff more - I prefer your creepy monsters jumping out at me more than iDs creepy monsters jumping out at me. Smiley

I Dream of Ghosts devlogs: Official and Tigsource. Finished game: Super Brick Bros 2: A Machine for Bricks TURBO!
elib
Level 0

only just begun the process

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »

Gonna be cool and everything, but there's nothing chilling or tense about it yet. Doom scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

Love the light effect and the death animations!

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »

I feel ya guys, about it not being a scary game of my own imagination. Don't worry though, 2in is still cooking in the fire and I've got something lined up right after that I hope you'll find interesting. 

This game came about when I was playing with a engine I created a while ago (yes, I actually made my OWN engine, how'bout that? Giggle) and made a doom3 marine sprite to walk around.  After that, everything else started just falling out of me so effortlessly I couldn't fight it. And well, here we are.

I plan to have 4 different arenas: Alpha Labs(easy), Sewage Treatment(medium), Delta(hard), and Hell(nightmare)
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »

Worked on Pinky, Gibs, and video teaser tonight.

Here's a picture of the Pinky so far.
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »

I'm getting to the point where I'll need to write some music for this but I'm stuck with a question I can't answer for myself:  Should I go with a more ambient sounding noise-tapestry? Like brooding klangs and rumbles like doom3 had? or should I pull more from the oldskool doom and try penning some kind of metal-inspired looping music, like actual music?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:02:31 PM »

I'm getting to the point where I'll need to write some music for this but I'm stuck with a question I can't answer for myself:  Should I go with a more ambient sounding noise-tapestry? Like brooding klangs and rumbles like doom3 had? or should I pull more from the oldskool doom and try penning some kind of metal-inspired looping music, like actual music?

definitely the latter. Especially if you're going with the old-style look, go with the old-style music!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 11:41:45 AM »

So here's some early work on the 'alpha labs' stage. The pinky's sprites are now complete. I'm going to try and add a HellKnight ofcourse.

The "music" is completed: I went for a looping track that's both a hybrid of heavy plodding metal and sweeping ambient sounds like sirens and corrupting computer intercom voices similar to my work in AOOFAD/AuSable. 

I'll add a "mute music" button in case you're just not feeling the music and want to play your favorite cover of E1M1 instead Smiley
ghostwheel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »

I guess we can't always be dark, tormented souls. We have to have some fun now and then. Smiley

I Dream of Ghosts devlogs: Official and Tigsource. Finished game: Super Brick Bros 2: A Machine for Bricks TURBO!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »

I just got the idea, "should i create a 2 player option?" if i were to go back and add this function it would mean I'd have to undo the entire system I've created for player controls and collision rules.  That'sa lotta work and It would delay the release of this and progress on 2in.  So it's your call.

How about I plunge toward completion of this in single-player flavor, but if you reaaally want it, I'll go the extra mile re-release it with co-op features a little while after that.

well, what's your say?
ghostwheel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »

definitely the latter. Especially if you're going with the old-style look, go with the old-style music!

I have to agree. The dark ambient stuff was more a Quake (1) thing. You have to have midi metal for DooM MooD. :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 01:09:08 PM by ghostwheel » Logged

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »

If you're going for all out action instead of a tense suspenseful game, then I'm for goofy midi pseudorock all the way Smiley

Best wishes, this is looking pretty polished.
ghostwheel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 03:08:04 PM »

I just realized what this game looks like, Berzerk with a layer of grime thrown on it! XD Seriously though, this could pretty damn fun. A multiplayer version would be chaotic and could also be a blast.

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »

spoilers: this is the "music" I've composed for the game. I've tried making some straight up midi-metal and i'm bombing hard on it, I was going to provide a "a" and "b" music mode but I'm just going to have to pack this one in and get to work on the rest of the game for now.

had to go through and re-animate all the pinky's frames. added some collectible hell artifacts.  I wish i could find someone to record a few mansculine classic phrases from the doom comic for when the player performs certain kill-combos.  like "RIP, TEAR, RIP AND TEAR!" or "HERE COMES THE NIGHT TRAIN BABY!" or "THATS YOUR SPINAL CORD BABY, DIG IT!"

http://www.mediafire.com/?e9gph6sw18047k2
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »

Cacodemon!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:11:26 PM »

Can someone do me a favor and download the mp3 i posted a few posts up and listen to it for a bit? see if you think it'll get annoying during gameplay?  Ive been testing this so often that the track's worn really thin on me and I'm not liking it.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »

I played the test version you put up, I was a big fan of the original Doom so I figured I'd give some thoughts.

I think it is cool what you're doing, considering the lack of FPS games back then, Doom was generally designed coming from top-down shooters in spirit or thinking, similar to Robotron or berzerk etc, it plays almost in 2d except you have a 3d viewpoint, you don't aim vertically, you're strafing and shooting hordes of enemies that spawn in in very similar ways to classic games, etc... (i know you're basing it more around doom3, but still Smiley )

Some things I noticed from playing the test/alpha, and this is all just personal preference stuff.  Based on the speed that the enemies moved and the frequency of their shots, it seemed like killing enemies took too long. It would feel better to a Player to have base enemies that take one shot to kill, so you can gun down hordes of them, while having heavier enemies which take more than one shot etc.  
If the idea is to have more of a survival aspect where you need to conserve ammo and it isn't so arcade-like, then maybe just slowing down the enemy speed for a moment when they get shot would help make your gun feel more powerful than it currently comes across.

Another thing is shooting along the Y axis was harder due to the enemies being narrow if they were moving up and down, it caused me as a Player to prefer shooting along the X axis and made my range of movement/control feel a bit lacking.

One idea might be to slightly gravitate player shots towards the center of enemies, to avoid the frustrating of shooting a narrow profiled enemy and having the shot pass within one pixel.  Another option would be to just even out the collision area on enemies so it works the same in all cases.  It really depends on the overall mood you're going for Smiley Right now it had more of a survival'ish feeling than empowering/gunning down monsters.

Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 11:01:56 PM »

Trailer! Not my best, but it was fun to throw together and you get a bleary-eyed peek at the hell to come

enjoy!
Amon26
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »

Wooh it's almost done guys!!

Also... What does everyone think of a little meta-game tacked onto this? (PRIZES PRIZES PRIZES!)  Well, hello there!
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »

Looks fun and hectic.

Also, is that you wearing a t-shirt over your head in the trailer? lol

And what do you mean meta game?

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic