Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1055474 Posts in 42859 Topics- by 34790 Members - Latest Member: Pak

October 21, 2014, 05:33:43 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsSkimmer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Skimmer  (Read 701 times)
Lemoncog
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »

Skimmer has a simple game-play mechanic, Skimming. By flying within the outer layer of a planet you can skim that planet. I released it to the Google Play store with its core feature implemented. Now, after many months I'm building upon that core feature to create an adventure mode. I want to keep updating what's on Google Play so I've introduced a Labs mode, in here you'll get to play mini-games I develop as I implement the new mechanics needed for Adventure mode.

MY SITE
http://lemoncog.com/

STORE LINK
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lemoncog.skimmer
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:24:53 AM by Lemoncog » Logged

Lemoncog
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »

I'll kick off my first dev blog with death!  Ninja

In the market version of Skimmer you've got 5 lives. Hit a planet 5 times and you're toast. I thought this was pretty cool and had a nice retro feel, but others didn't instantly see the connection. Its quite an old way of displaying the users health, I could certainly do it better with health bars or whatnot, but I'm going for simplicity in my game. Its got two controls, left and right. I think the life system should be just as simple.

To that end, I've done away with lives and the UI they required. Now you have shields, lovely regenerating shields! The shields surround your ship and have a color range to show strength. Knocking into a planet pushes your ship away and stresses the shields. The connection should be obvious?

For a few days I'll be working on the shield system, adding some nice visual effects to really make it obvious that your shield is degenerating as you collide with a planet.

Your feedback is welcome.

You can read a more formal version at my blog here:
http://lemoncog.com/dealing-with-death-or-avoiding-it-all-together/

Christian
Level 7

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »

Will this be coming to IOS? I know a lot of people who would love to have another high difficulty arcade game to play

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Lemoncog
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »

I hope so, its built using the Libgdx framework so porting it to iOS should be quite easy.

Lemoncog
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »

Skimmer on iOS

To my great surprise I had a fully working version of Skimmer running on the iOS simulator within an hour of coding time. I had planned on writing a blog post to aid others by detailing all the issues I ran into. (Un)fortunately there weren't any. Point the GDX-Setup-UI.jar at your project, tell it to add a RoboVM version, download RoboVM, upgrade your Mac OS, Upgrade XCode, wait hours for that, update to JDK 1.7. POOF it works. Only thing slowing me down was the upgrades.

If all goes well with testing Skimmer will be on iOS soon.

DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:22:31 PM »

The concept is original, just tried it and it's quite challenging. The minimalistic graphics work well for this game too.

Christian
Level 7

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »

Do you have a trailer for the game? Me and some others are discussing challenging twitchy arcade games in a thread on Toucharcade, would be cool to have a trailer of this to show. Looks something they would like

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Lemoncog
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:24:37 AM »

The concept is original, just tried it and it's quite challenging. The minimalistic graphics work well for this game too.

Thanks, I think its a strong core mechanic too and I'm excited to develop more mechanics centered on skimming.

Do you have a trailer for the game? Me and some others are discussing challenging twitchy arcade games in a thread on Toucharcade, would be cool to have a trailer of this to show. Looks something they would like

Sorry no, the game is changing quite a bit as its in developement so I don't plan on having any trailers till its near complete.

Lemoncog
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »

I've just pushed an update for Android which you can download here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lemoncog.skimmer

The iOS(iPhone and iPad) version is currently in review and should be available within the week.

With that done I've got to decide what I want to do next, I had ideas for Skimmer but recently its dawned on me that they would take Skimmer in a direction I didn't want to go. It was meant to be a simple, arcade style skill based game and these ideas would introduce puzzle and adventure elements.

So we'll see where I go from here. You might start seeing a new project from me soon, or you might see new additions to Skimmer.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic