Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:41:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIkiki appreciation thread (+ Ikiki Games Gallery)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Ikiki appreciation thread (+ Ikiki Games Gallery)  (Read 36355 times)
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »

Aaaaa, how do you beat that fucking fish boss in Rocketaro? nvm, beat him
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:01:03 AM by Dataflashsabot » Logged
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:56 AM »

Whoa, I just found some pages on his site with information (and rad pictures) about all his characters:

1, 2, 3, 4

Nikujin's name is actually Nikujaga(!). His (Nikujaga, not Ikiki xD) favourite videogames are tenchu 3 and ninja gaiden, and his favourite film is Zatoichi.

Can anyone translate the short sentence regarding him?

Ikiki is definitely one of my favourite developers out there. Has anyone found out any info about him? He seems to go by the name Uta rather than Ikiki, but maybe he uses both.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »

Yeah, I like those images of the characters. I thought about using one for each video, but I think not all games' protagonists are featured there.
I never really bothered reading the texts, as the automated translation is usually pretty unclear. Though, it's interesting. I never knew that the things you destroy in Tekkyuuman are fruit, namely Durian, and apparently it is to Tekkyuuman what Kryptonite is to Superman Grin

And as posted earlier, I am also a bit confused about the names Uta and Ikiki. But, I guess they are really just two nicknames of his, though at least on his guestbook and in all games' readme files only Uta is ever used.

[edit]
Does anyone know what "むらびと" (murabito) means in English? In his news sections there are several identical entries that he added this, and the Luigi/Mario characters are also called that. Google translates it as "KJV irregular" or "uneven" Huh?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:42:25 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »

Ikiki's games have inspired me a lot - the way he handles the level design is just amazing! But it's a shame that his older games have really clumsy platform engines, because having to fight the engine instead of the actual puzzles takes away from the experience.
Anyway, I'm glad that you're doing these MisterX, I'd love more to people to notice Ikiki!

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »

I agree, this is especially true for Aborin, as I noticed lately. It's as varied as his best games and the boomerang is a fun and interesting weapon. But, the controls are so very slippery that it gets very frustrating, and I think few people will have the patience to play through the whole (typically actually rather short if played perfectly) game.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're doing these MisterX, I'd love more to people to notice Ikiki!
I doubt that the videos themselves will achieve that to a greater extent. But, hopefully they can serve to show off how fun and varied many of his games can be once you've made it past the initial - often very steep - learning curve. And even if one doesn't feel like playing the games, he can at least watch them Smiley

Though, as I've just finished the Teppoman video and so very closely managed to squeeze the whole game in the exactly 10 minutes long video, I don't think I will be able to show complete playthroughs of other lengthier games like Bimboman, Teppodon and Kamutaro. But, I hope that won't be a problem. I think it's actually not bad, because ideally the videos will get people interested to play and finish the games themselves Smiley And afterwards I could still make walkthrough videos in several parts. I just really wanted to have a complete Teppoman video, because it's probably also a bit too hard for most players, but I really like the connection to Teppoman 2 (hint: Teppoman's final boss).

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Akari
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »

YouTube recently increased the normal user video max length to 15 minutes. Just sayin'
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »

Thanks, I only found out about that myself yesterday. That helps a lot, because I decided to actually play through Bimboman. Have you ever done that? I have just now, and damn.. the last two levels, including the final boss, must have been the most frustrating things I've played so far. The most frustrating of Ikiki's games, anyway, but maybe even beyond that..
But, again yay, I did it! Grin
Pretty cool game, especially as it's notably different from his other shooters.

I'm kinda afraid of Kamutaro now..

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »

I'm kinda afraid of Kamutaro now..

I love Kamutaro to pieces, but gosh if that first airship level doesn't piss me off. The fact that you start from the beginning of the level if you screw up gets really annoying there.
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2010, 01:29:54 AM »

Does anyone know what "むらびと" (murabito) means in English? In his news sections there are several identical entries that he added this, and the Luigi/Mario characters are also called that. Google translates it as "KJV irregular" or "uneven" Huh?

Those news items are him adding new characters to those lists.

Murabito means villager. They're the inhabitants of himoji, which is the title of the site. So I guess it's like his fictional universe.

Pixel Art: Portfolio || Twitter: @pita_akm || Tumblr: silver deluxe
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »

Alright, the Gallery finally arrived at Nikujin and reached half-time at that! 28 games down, 27 to go Smiley Though, hopefully Ikiki releases the last "Game Graveyard" entry by the time I reach it.

I've thought about why none of the games are able to save anything on my computer, and maybe it's because Windows 7 has a different user folder structure than Windows XP. Or does it actually work for anyone with Vista/7?

Those news items are him adding new characters to those lists.

Murabito means villager. They're the inhabitants of himoji, which is the title of the site. So I guess it's like his fictional universe.
I see, thanks Smiley It's funny to think of all these games and their characters set in the same time, all those "heroes" acting simultaneously. What a chaotic world that would be..

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »

half time!
very nice Smiley

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »

I also just beat Kusariman for the first time Grin From now on it should be easy to play through it again, so the upcoming video will definitely feature the whole game Smiley

Kusariman is really great, at the very least it is up there with Nikujin, Hakaiman and Teppoman 2 as one of Ikiki's best games! And it's certainly the most unique of the good ones. Well, and the hardest, I guess Giggle

Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2010, 04:51:50 PM »

There it is, the playthrough of one of Ikiki's best games, as well as one of his games hardly anybody knows:

Smiley

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »

Excellent.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2010, 02:16:40 PM »

How's it going?
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2010, 05:03:55 PM »

It wasn't going at all since the last video, I kind of took a break Smiley I'm going to continue this week.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »

Excellent.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »

Alright, going on Smiley The videos of

and

(!) are up.

Tepposenso looks like it could be a great game for two players on one pc, I didn't get to try that. Though, the balance might be bad.
And Hakaiman is another highlight in Ikiki's works, but you should know that already! Despite one death, the video actually shows my best run so far.

Now, I only need to be able to finish Tekkyuuman and I will have "conquered" each of Ikiki's games. Well, at least if you disregard Pineappo, I'll probably never finish that one..

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2010, 02:45:39 PM »

I wish more wrestling games had a "hurt the audience" mechanic.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »

Getting to the finishing line, at least with the "normal" releases.

and

are up.
Blockman is really cool! It's one of Ikiki's more unique games and I suppose the only mix of Breakout and trampoline jumping Grin Apart from the lesser predecessor, Toranpon. Though, the final boss proved to be hair-tearingly hard until I figured out how to defeat him properly.

Now only Tekkyuuman is blocking the path. I'm close to beating it, but so far never made it. It's very nice and polished, but the limited lives make this so needlessly frustrating that it's beyond me how anyone could find that it's Ikiki's best game.

By the way, there's a link list with all videos in the first post.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic