Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038292 Posts in 41958 Topics- by 33583 Members - Latest Member: galangs

September 02, 2014, 10:58:16 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesIkiki appreciation thread (+ Ikiki Games Gallery)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Ikiki appreciation thread (+ Ikiki Games Gallery)  (Read 11444 times)
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 07:06:19 AM »

There is no official one, and I guess also no complete unofficial one, as the latest games were only released a few days ago. Though, I could put together all games and upload the package for you, if you want. 56 games and not even 40mb in size Grin I just wouldn't want to post that publicly, as I guess Ikiki would prefer the games to be downloaded directly from his site.
Nah, don't bother if it'd just be for me. Thanks for offering though!
Daiz
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »

the [bomb] jumps in Nikujin (especially the one where you have to dash jump into a timed explosion, ouf)

You never have to blindly dash into a bomb jump in Nikujin. For every bomb jump necessary in the game, there's always room to hang out somewhere to wait for the bombman to turn so you can strike him into the countdown. The whole game can be completed without alarming a single bombman of your presence (of course you still have to make them explode, though).
MisterX
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 09:00:13 AM »

Nah, don't bother if it'd just be for me. Thanks for offering though!
As packing it is a matter of probably a minute and uploading also shouldn't take forever, I really wouldn't mind doing it. You'd only have to tell me if you wanted the raw zip files of the games, or the unpacked, translated (and chronologically numbered) folders. Your call Smiley

You never have to blindly dash into a bomb jump in Nikujin. For every bomb jump necessary in the game, there's always room to hang out somewhere to wait for the bombman to turn so you can strike him into the countdown. The whole game can be completed without alarming a single bombman of your presence (of course you still have to make them explode, though).
I know, but what I ment is the one jump where you have to hit the bombman, thus starting the bomb's timer, and then dash and jump into the explosion from a few blocks away, in time to be pushed upwards. I can easily do that by now, but I think it took me a long time until I got the timing right.

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Daiz
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »

I know, but what I ment is the one jump where you have to hit the bombman, thus starting the bomb's timer, and then dash and jump into the explosion from a few blocks away, in time to be pushed upwards. I can easily do that by now, but I think it took me a long time until I got the timing right.

You mean in the final level before the bosses? You can jump in front of him on the right, wait for him to dash into the boxes and jump. For an example, you can take a look at my Nikujin speedrun, at 3:58. You only have to do the hit and dash version if you're aiming for a no-detection completion.
MisterX
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:23 AM »

You mean in the final level before the bosses? You can jump in front of him on the right, wait for him to dash into the boxes and jump. For an example, you can take a look at my Nikujin speedrun, at 3:58. You only have to do the hit and dash version if you're aiming for a no-detection completion.
Oh, indeed, I didn't think about that! Strangely, at an earlier part with a bombman, where he stands in front of a door that has to be blown open, I never got the idea of just slashing him. I always thought you have to sneak up at him, jump onto the ceiling in front of him, then jump down, get him to charge at you, jump back up and have him blow it open. It wasn't until I saw your great speedrun that I noticed you can just hit him Grin

Ah, that reminds me, I'm still undecided if Nikujin or Teppoman 2 is my most favorite Ikiki game Smiley

By the way, yay! Finally the video of Aborin is done and being rendered. Such a frustrating game. But, also pretty cool! If only its successor Tekkyuuman had unlimited lives as well..

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 11:07:26 AM »

As packing it is a matter of probably a minute and uploading also shouldn't take forever, I really wouldn't mind doing it. You'd only have to tell me if you wanted the raw zip files of the games, or the unpacked, translated (and chronologically numbered) folders. Your call Smiley
Well, if you really don't mind, that would be awesome! I suppose the latter would be best. Please PM it to anyone else who asks though. Smiley
MisterX
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 11:40:23 AM »

Well, if you really don't mind, that would be awesome! I suppose the latter would be best. Please PM it to anyone else who asks though. Smiley
Sure, no problem. It's just that I also thought about putting a link to a complete package in my videos, but I'm not sure if that would be in Ikiki's interest.

I'm just unsure about the games' filenames. I changed the names of exe and readme files to the "translated" names, because Japanese characters aren't displayed properly on my system, anyway (Does anyone know how to fix this? I got Windows 7, nothing I found on Google helped). But, none of the games save any scores, even though they seem to be supposed to do that. They also didn't before renaming them, but maybe it works on some other system.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:50:38 AM by MisterX » Logged

desdinova
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 05:34:17 PM »

Am enjoying the series so far

My Nikujin files have always had messed up characters even though I have the Windows Japanese language package installed on my computer (Speaking of which, does anyone know if notepad++ can read asian characters? I have to open the readme in MS word to be able to read it) but I'll have to check the high scores to see if they're saving
Daiz
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »

The reason why the readme.txts for Ikiki's games look messed up to you is because they're coded in ANSI, not in unicode. To solve the problem, you can open your Notepad in Japanese locale using AppLocale and then save the readme as an unicode text file.
MisterX
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 01:59:21 AM »

I see. I also just noticed again, that even if I leave the file names unchanged, I can't even open the readme from within the game, as it can't find it without the proper name. I guess that also explains why scores aren't saved. I hope I'm not missing anything because of this, as some games like Nikujin have grayed out options, which you only unlock by beating the game, I suppose.
Regarding the readmes themselves, I just always use http://translate.google.com to automatically upload and translate them Smiley This usually works to tell you all about the controls. The only game I had trouble with was Kusariman, specifically the Swing Dash. Or would you have understood "Ground with emery Swing Shift: Swing dash"? It took a bit of imagination to interpret that right Grin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 02:03:01 AM by MisterX » Logged

Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »

Aaaaa, how do you beat that fucking fish boss in Rocketaro? nvm, beat him
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:01:03 AM by Dataflashsabot » Logged
Blaster
Pixelhead
Level 1

*wiggle*

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 07:23:56 AM »

Whoa, I just found some pages on his site with information (and rad pictures) about all his characters:

1, 2, 3, 4

Nikujin's name is actually Nikujaga(!). His (Nikujaga, not Ikiki xD) favourite videogames are tenchu 3 and ninja gaiden, and his favourite film is Zatoichi.

Can anyone translate the short sentence regarding him?

Ikiki is definitely one of my favourite developers out there. Has anyone found out any info about him? He seems to go by the name Uta rather than Ikiki, but maybe he uses both.

MisterX
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »

Yeah, I like those images of the characters. I thought about using one for each video, but I think not all games' protagonists are featured there.
I never really bothered reading the texts, as the automated translation is usually pretty unclear. Though, it's interesting. I never knew that the things you destroy in Tekkyuuman are fruit, namely Durian, and apparently it is to Tekkyuuman what Kryptonite is to Superman Grin

And as posted earlier, I am also a bit confused about the names Uta and Ikiki. But, I guess they are really just two nicknames of his, though at least on his guestbook and in all games' readme files only Uta is ever used.

[edit]
Does anyone know what "むらびと" (murabito) means in English? In his news sections there are several identical entries that he added this, and the Luigi/Mario characters are also called that. Google translates it as "KJV irregular" or "uneven" Huh?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:42:25 AM by MisterX » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Batatoes.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »

Ikiki's games have inspired me a lot - the way he handles the level design is just amazing! But it's a shame that his older games have really clumsy platform engines, because having to fight the engine instead of the actual puzzles takes away from the experience.
Anyway, I'm glad that you're doing these MisterX, I'd love more to people to notice Ikiki!

GNNNRRBRRNIBRIR
www.hempuli.com
MisterX
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »

I agree, this is especially true for Aborin, as I noticed lately. It's as varied as his best games and the boomerang is a fun and interesting weapon. But, the controls are so very slippery that it gets very frustrating, and I think few people will have the patience to play through the whole (typically actually rather short if played perfectly) game.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're doing these MisterX, I'd love more to people to notice Ikiki!
I doubt that the videos themselves will achieve that to a greater extent. But, hopefully they can serve to show off how fun and varied many of his games can be once you've made it past the initial - often very steep - learning curve. And even if one doesn't feel like playing the games, he can at least watch them Smiley

Though, as I've just finished the Teppoman video and so very closely managed to squeeze the whole game in the exactly 10 minutes long video, I don't think I will be able to show complete playthroughs of other lengthier games like Bimboman, Teppodon and Kamutaro. But, I hope that won't be a problem. I think it's actually not bad, because ideally the videos will get people interested to play and finish the games themselves Smiley And afterwards I could still make walkthrough videos in several parts. I just really wanted to have a complete Teppoman video, because it's probably also a bit too hard for most players, but I really like the connection to Teppoman 2 (hint: Teppoman's final boss).

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic