Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:28:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Climb!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Climb!  (Read 7567 times)
Daver
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

Climb!

Obviously inspired by:

Climb is a very simple platformer, with simple graphics, focusing on climbing My Word!
The goal is simply to get to the red flag on each level. Thats all. Nothing more, nothing less.

What it looked like:

What it looks like:

How to play
Arrow keys: Move
Enter: Restart level
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:18:03 AM by escapism » Logged
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »

Any news on this, fellow Climb-er?

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Daver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:39:57 PM »

Well, it's going pretty well. It actually seems like this is gonna be the first game ever I'm really finishing. Haven't changed the graphics much, but I've added a few elements that hopefully will make the game a little more interesting. I will probably be finished sometime tomorrow. Smiley
Daver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:15 AM »

The game is finished and can be downloaded here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9789700/climb.zip
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »

My oh my. That was ferociously hard. But I never wanted to blame the game for my constant dying. And I died a lot.

belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:36:54 AM »

A nice little game, though I'm awful at these sorts of platformers.  I liked how you can do a little hop off climbing when you reached the top of a ledge after you acquire the skill, though I will still say I could have done without holding up performing repeated jumps.

The parts of the levels with small safe gaps between spikes are brutal.  >:

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »

You should really change that jumping so that holding up doesn't make you jump constantly. That makes control more difficult than it should be. Also, move the jump button to something else, or give us an option. Up to jump also doesn't feel as good as having a separate button for it, especially since there's nothing else you can do.

Other than that the game looked and played pretty nicely. Like belbeeno mentioned, some of the pixel-perfect jumps were brutal, and I didn't get to finish the game.

Also, the blurriness of the screen didn't sit well with me. I think the game would have looked better with crisp pixels.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:47:53 AM »

I liked the short and quick levels, the simple but stylish graphics and the twist when you get a new skill, as I didn't see that coming. Haven't finished it yet so I don't know if a save game feature is worthy or not.  Gentleman

gingerbeardman
Level 0

#agbic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »

Nice work.

Some nice levels there

Daily Driver for Playdate https://www.patreon.com/dailydriver
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 03:07:47 PM »

I loved it! This is one of the hidden gems of this competition. The controls are nice and responsive. The levels are well constructed, and increase nicely in difficulty. Finishing the game was really satisfying. I didn't bother at all with the collectables, I have a personal dislike of coin collecting. I echo what the others have said about the jump. Having to use my move hand to also jump started to hurt towards the end. Spacebar jump would have been a relief.
Good work. Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 10:40:24 AM »

Nice little platformer. The controls are okay, the graphics are neat. I particularly enjoyed the music, although it does get a bit repetitive.

Kinten
Gentleman Scholar
Level 3

You be suspicious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »

Clean, straight forward and fun!
I approve of this game.

Daver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »

Thank you guys! Grin I will make it possible to jump with another key. And I will also make it possible to disable repeated jumps. But since my school starts tomorrow and i've just got a new job, it will probably take a few days. Hopefully I'll be able to do it this weekend.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:01:32 PM »

You should also think about giving each level a name. That way it makes it easier when discussing hints, tips, or how hard a particular level is with friends.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 05:36:17 PM »

YOU MONSTER

Crazy
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic