Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:21:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGMasters of Janitor Runner (COMPLETE)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Masters of Janitor Runner (COMPLETE)  (Read 7336 times)
lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »

There are many janitors. Some of them are also runners. And some of them are masters. Or whatever.

So, I have been coding this for past few days, and almost everything is working now. It's a simple collecting game.
You can get the FINAL version here: http://www.stud.fit.vutbr.cz/~xvrabe01/Janitor/Janitor.zip (level editor requires .NET)

Currently only 2 player mode is implemented which pretty sucks, because not many people can play it with friends on one computer. I hope i will finish the AI before the deadline...

EDIT: Apparently I'm not as good coder as I want to be Embarrassed as the AI didn't make it to the final release...So many apologies to my rather huge crowd of fans: I'm sorry but no single player will be included Tongue
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:07:52 PM by lukipuk » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »

wow that was not an easy name  Shocked Undecided

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 05:37:49 PM »

my first idea was some kind of running-and-jumping hurdles game, but somewhat it evolved into this Smiley
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 06:05:58 PM »

The engine feels solid. I like how you can push the other player, and how that can create some interesting situations like accidentally pushing your enemy into the item he need. It might lead to player abuse if you have longish areas of the map with only one entrance, like the middle of the second map.

Having to collect a set number of different objects is a good twist on the standard collection gameplay, and leads to some good situations like two players needing to go towards the same object that just spawned, or strategically collecting an object you don't need to keep it out of the hands of the opponent. It does feel weird, when the game spawns objects that neither player needs, although I don't think spawning many of the last item is any better if both players are waiting for the same single item.

The head-bouncing shows promise of using your opponent to take a shortcut. However, the bounce height seems to decay with each subsequent bounce, until the jumping player shakily sinks into the player on the floor.

Oh, and having left/right as move and up as jump for one player, but a/d as move and shift as jump for the other isn't quite parallel. I'd expect "w" for jump with those presets.

I haven't played it with another player, but from the mechanics alone, this shows a lot of promise. Smiley

lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:45:26 AM »

Thank you for your feedback, I find your ideas most intresting (mostly the longish areas with only one entrance Kiss)! The collision detection needs little work, and i hope I will solve also the head-jumping, which works kinda weird now...

The controls will be probably changed, but i need it on a shift now for testing purposes, because on my laptop it works weird when it is on W (it's the thing with keyboard that you must press only 3 buttons at one moment).
lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »

OK, so basicly the game is done. I was not able to complete the AI in time, so it's only for 2 players, but maybe someone will enjoy it Smiley Actually I'm pretty surprised that I managed to complete at least something Cool

If there is somebody who is intrested in downloading the game, just follow the link the 1st post...
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »

Congrats on finishing it!

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:28:03 AM »

This game is really fun. I love party games, and this one has all the right elements. There are a few map design issues, but I'm assuming you didn't have an army of QA testers so I'll let you off. Joypad support and four player mode would be good additions. It's unfortunate that most voters won't get to try this two players(They're all sad loners Tongue) as it's a lot of fun. Good stuff.

BTW. A game like this shouldn't have AI bots, so I wouldn't bother adding them. It should be played multi-player only.

lukipuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 10:12:37 AM »

Thank you for feedback! I'm happy that you liked the game Grin (actually I'm happy that at least somebody have a friend to play with Shocked)

I love party games, and this one has all the right elements.
Actually, I was planning to add also some powerups, because the gameplay gets repetetive and boring after while Undecided...

There are a few map design issues, but I'm assuming you didn't have an army of QA testers so I'll let you off.
Yes, I'm sorry, it's also because most of the maps were designed few hours before deadline, so they haven't been tested properly even by myself Embarrassed

BTW. A game like this shouldn't have AI bots, so I wouldn't bother adding them. It should be played multi-player only.
Yes, games like this usualy doesn't have AI bots, but on the other hand, not many people have friends to play with, so they have a chance to test it at least Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic