Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:00:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioA land of free music, where I won't get sued if I use it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: A land of free music, where I won't get sued if I use it  (Read 10301 times)
greekdude247
« on: August 06, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »

Hey dudes. I've been working on my game nonstop. Tired Coding, art, design, story. All that jazz. Sound effects too. The only thing that I'm not happy with is the music I make. Its quite awful.

Is there a place where you can get free music? Royalty free? And...could it...possibly.. be 8-bit style?

Yes, my game will be going commercial. I don't want to be raped by lawyers. I'm only 18. Please don't let the lawyers steal my sweet virginity.
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »

Try Assemblee?

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 08:36:08 PM »

If you were working on a noncommercial project, I would suggest 8bit Collective, which is filled with amazingly talented people who are releasing stuff that is free... but under a Creative Commons license that does not allow commercial use.
It's a little harder to find music that is free to use for commercial projects... because it's usually assumed that if you're ready to make money, you're willing to spend some first.
Still, there are people around here who might be interested in producing music for you. I would be, but I don't know that my work is actually all that good... Plus, I'm a bit busy at the moment.
It might help to post something about what your game is to gather interest, though; nobody will want to help you if they don't even know what the music is for.
As far as actual resources of existing music go, though... I have never seen anything; I really have no idea.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:28:58 PM »

Try Assemblee?

The Assemblee music licenses are for non-commercial use only.

Honestly, I don't support people asking for free music for commercial projects. Making music is work, no less than making any other part of a game. You wouldn't ask a programmer to work for free on a money-making project, would you? My advice, if you don't have money to spend up-front, is to offer your musician a cut of your game's eventual revenues (something like 10% would work), then pay him or her once you start making money off the game.

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:00:15 PM »

What's the license on battleofthebits.org submissions?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
greekdude247
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »

See, if I could spend money upfront, that would require me to ask my mom for it. And that's like....what, $20? Would someone give me their music for $20? Idk how much usual music costs are for a commercial project. And then there's legal stuff for setting up a percentage of profits.

I'm 18. I live in my mom's house. I make my games solo. [Han Solo Well, hello there!]
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 11:35:48 PM »

Do you have a job?
Get a real job (or two or three) and save for a while. I take it your general living costs are minimal to nonexistent, so that shouldn't be too much trouble.

Otherwise, the profit cut thing is still an option. "Legal stuff" can't be too much trouble, can it? Where do you live?

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
greekdude247
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:54:08 PM »

Do you have a job?
Well, I was hoping to release this game and make some money off of it....so..I'm going to be bold here and say, yes. I do have a job. I am an independent game designer.  Cool
....but I make no money till the game is released Cry

Get a real job (or two or three)
Has my mother been talking to you?!? Don't take her bribes!

Trust me, I've gone out and looked for a crapoola jobs. Blockbuster, staples, safeway, even the gas station! No one is hiring. I've submitted application 3 times to each place (btw...I hate GameS top). My options to make money right now go down like this.

• become a prostitute
  • deal drugs
  • join the army

Now, I'm not gonna rule out the prostitution job out juuust yet, but everything else is kind of not my vibe.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 12:11:46 AM »

s01 recommends

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
pgil
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 05:27:19 AM »

My advice, if you don't have money to spend up-front, is to offer your musician a cut of your game's eventual revenues (something like 10% would work), then pay him or her once you start making money off the game.

I did this for Arvoesine. Alastair sold it on Fastspring, which can automatically set aside a percentage for people who worked for you.

Of course, if you can't offer money up front, you'll have to convince people your game is worthwhile. It will have to look really good.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 05:32:02 AM »

And then there's legal stuff for setting up a percentage of profits.

No there isn't. You just agree to a time period for paying out royalties, and then you pay out royalties according to schedule. The only way there's "legal stuff" is if you don't honor your agreement. Let's say you earn $600 in a month and you've agreed to pay the musician 10%. Either mail him a check for $60 at the end of the month, or send it over Paypal. Easy as pie.

I make my games solo.

Obviously not--not if you're looking for a musician to help you. That's two people making the game.

Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 06:49:55 AM »

Try Assemblee?

The Assemblee music licenses are for non-commercial use only.

Oh right. I skimmed over the commercial part.

In that case, pay for your own damned music, if you're going to sell your game. If you don't have the money, then make the music yourself. If you can't make the music yourself, look for something in the public domain.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »

Hey dudes. I've been working on my game nonstop. Tired Coding, art, design, story. All that jazz. Sound effects too. The only thing that I'm not happy with is the music I make. Its quite awful.

Is there a place where you can get free music? Royalty free? And...could it...possibly.. be 8-bit style?

Not happy with what you make? What the heck are you using to make your 8-bit/chiptune music?
Somewhat, I'd recommend FamiTracker for a better chiptune music-making thing. Their forum has a nice community that'd be willing to help out with stuff.

But why stall? Maybe you could hire someone, possibly without pay. On TIGsource, someone's bound to be willing to do a job like this for free, hint hint.
greekdude247
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 12:08:30 PM »

Not happy with what you make? What the heck are you using to make your 8-bit/chiptune music?
Somewhat, I'd recommend FamiTracker for a better chiptune music-making thing. Their forum has a nice community that'd be willing to help out with stuff.

But why stall? Maybe you could hire someone, possibly without pay. On TIGsource, someone's bound to be willing to do a job like this for free, hint hint.

I got this awesome component for garage band that adds this AMAZING 8bit sound. Its seriously is super cool.

I saw it on this video tutorial
Check it out!
http://techuniversity.com/items/garageband-chiptunes
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »

Trackers , in my experience, make music writing too much like programming. I can't see any reason why these things don't have actual, graphical piano rolls rather than horrible ASCII text.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »

Do what I did to find a job. Grab a business directory and call every place on that list until someone offers you an interview. And always ask to speak to the manager. Most employees don't want other employees possibly taking their place or stealing their raise so they;ll tell you they are not hiring, even when they are. It's probably in the 80% range that places that need to hire people don't advertise they need to hire someone.

Again, working jobs like that suck. So just offer some royalties for the music if you plan to make money off the game. A good soundtrack will be worth the money in royalties.

greekdude247
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »

Okay well, thanks for all the support to stay true and indie. I think I might dig through my room and find that CD that Killer Tracks gave out at GDC 2009. They said I could use their music, only requirement was accreditation, which I have no problem doing.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 10:36:31 AM »

Well, you could always do what the rest of us indie musicians do. Go to garage sales and find old kids toys and record our music playing toys. :D Or build your own synth. Or use only household appliances. Or...

J.W. Hendricks
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »

I could make music for you (free of charge).

The artist formally known as "Javet."
greekdude247
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 01:58:44 PM »

I could make music for you (free of charge).

oh ya! Javet! I totally bookmarked you but I've been super busy. I saw your posts and all your music. They're really great! You'd totally be in the credits and all!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic