Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:18:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs∞: A Space Shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ∞: A Space Shooter  (Read 4642 times)
RCIX
« on: August 07, 2010, 11:56:02 PM »

Hi all! I'm a new game developer, working on a game we (me and a friend) intend to release on the Xbox Live Indie Games market, as well as PC. The game is simply titled ∞ (pronounced Infinity).
<shpiel_mode>
Ever faced down a swarm of baddies and only had a sniper gun to defend yourself? How about fighting a boss with a peashooter? In ∞, you can fix that. Your ship is extremely customizable, and can mount anything from a shotgun to a sniper turret that has tracking bullets. Combine that with the very depths of space to explore, and tons of enemy ships popping in through rifts in space, and you have yourself this game.
</shpiel_mode>

You can keep an eye on our progress (though i'll try to keep this thread updated as much as is possible) at http://infinitygame.wordpress.com/

You can also watch a video demoing what we have (it's low res, so you can't see as much of the graphical style as i might want, but oh well) at

. Hopefully soon, we should have enough done to release a version for playtesting.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:28:19 PM by RCIX » Logged
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 01:45:12 AM »

Neat!  So it's an arena-shooter, where you can aim in different directions then?  (Presumably with the analog stick?)  What were the purple particle-beams in the video?  They happened very quickly, so I'm assuming that they're not enemy shots, (since they look neigh impossible to dodge, unless I didn't see some cue they gave in advance.)

One comment:  The link to your blog provided doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

-Montoli

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
RCIX
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »

Thanks for the interest! To answer your questions:

* It's not quite an arena shooter, you just cruise around looking for cool stuff to look at and fighting enemies (there's slightly more to it than that, with bosses and stuff, but we haven't coded that yet). There's no boundaries, so you can go as far in any direction as you want Smiley
 * Controls for the Xbox is dual stick (like Geometry wars, though the ship behavior is slightly different), and for the PC will probably be WASD/arrows for movement and cursor for shooting.
 * That would be the mine-layers beaming mines out in front of/on the player. I'm still working out the exact behavior for these, but they aim a fair bit in front of the player so if you keep moving and dodging you can avoid the mines.
 * Sorry about that, I mistyped the link. It should be fixed now Smiley
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:39:57 PM by RCIX » Logged
RCIX
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »

Daily progress report:

I managed to get some refactoring i needed for a while done. I didn't get much time to work on the project though, so that's it.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 06:46:01 AM »

I wish you'd just call it "Infinity".
Also I commented on your blog post about UI design. You are a crazy person.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »

I will insist on calling this "Lemniscate".
RCIX
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:15:30 PM »

I wish you'd just call it "Infinity".
Also I commented on your blog post about UI design. You are a crazy person.
We're going for unique here, and you can just say it (or type it, if you don't want to get out the charmap) "infinity". Smiley And don't worry, the guy that made that blog post will be replying later :D
RCIX
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »

Daily progress report:

I prototyped a UI for displaying player ship info (health, gun reload state, etc.) which you can read about on the new blog post, and I also fixed a nasty bug with the weapon code that allowed players to spam shots.
RCIX
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:07:37 AM »

Daily progress report: (please tell me if i'm reporting too often, but i figured i'd actually log my progress instead of treat it like a blog Tongue)

I stomped a couple of the nastier bugs plaguing the game, as well as attached health bars to enemy ships, and made the player ship resurrect after death instead of just exploding the game. I also shifted the UI to the upper right, since my programming partner said it was distracting to have the bars there. After I work on the score system, and add+tweak a few more effects, I should be able to shoot another video.
RCIX
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 09:56:43 PM »

Daily progress report:
Rather than repeat my completed tasks today, here's a blog post on what i did, along with a screenshot of the new UI (and the more perceptive among you will note a graphics change or two).
RCIX
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 04:04:07 AM »

I'm sort of on a break here, so didn't do as much. However, i stomped on a previously hidden (not too big, but serious enough to warrant work on soon after discovery) bug regarding anti projectile weapons (!), made ships ramming each other kill the weaker one and make the stronger one take damage, and played around with projectile effects more (geez, i can never leave them alone Tongue).

One of the big things on my list soon is implementing an overlay that tells me pertinent statistics on my game's update and draw performance. Waaay too late here now, so 'night all! (P.S. mind telling me why no one seems to care about this project?:/)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:07:10 AM by RCIX » Logged
RCIX
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »

Well, since i am starting work on bosses, i decided to do an editor for defining the shape of objects. I rigged up a system for embedding XNA into a Form, which i can post more about if you guys want.
RCIX
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:52 PM »

The editor is almost complete, all i need to do is add code for an exporter to XML and i can start using it. I'll be posting screenshots on our blog shortly.
RCIX
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 12:54:07 AM »

Well, after another day and a bunch of more features added, i somehow stopped myself from adding in a kitchen sink, and i'm now using the editor to design some cool ships, both non-boss and boss.
RCIX
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 03:36:46 AM »

Ok, i'm back to work Smiley

Here's the latest blog post! http://infinitygame.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/were-back-and-we-have-an-editor/
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic