Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:44:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTelepath Tactics (Releasing in April 2015!)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Telepath Tactics (Releasing in April 2015!)  (Read 113984 times)
Boud
Level 0

They try to kill ya everytime...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: November 13, 2012, 02:55:46 PM »

I hereby notify you that i shall stalk this topic (as a fan of TRPG who didn't get to finish his project Sad )

Good luck with this, i have 42 pages to read before I can make helpful comments.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #641 on: November 14, 2012, 05:51:27 AM »

New update! When characters take damage, their hit point bars now animate! You can see the hit points quickly drain out of the bar (or fill in, if they're being healed).

This was a small change that took under 30 minutes to implement, but wow does it ever help the game feel! Nailing an enemy is now much more satisfying, since you now get (a) visual reinforcement about how much health they had left before the attack, (b) a look at their new health, and (c) get an immediately visual cue in between showing you exactly how much the attack contributed. Also, is gives you a visceral sense of health leeching out of / filling up the target. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner, frankly.

I hereby notify you that i shall stalk this topic (as a fan of TRPG who didn't get to finish his project Sad )

Good luck with this

Thanks!

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: November 19, 2012, 08:16:21 AM »

I've been delinquent in updating this, but that's mostly because I've been spending less time working on the game lately and more time putting together a Kickstarter campaign. I expect I'll be launching said campaign in about a week, so keep your eyes peeled!

In the meantime, why not have a gander at the game's near-final title screen art?

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #643 on: November 19, 2012, 05:51:47 PM »

By popular demand, I am adding weather effects into the game. I'll report back once I have some of those working...

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »

Rain and snow are now in-game and looking pretty awesome! I'm recording video footage now so you can see how global lighting and weather effects combine to help set the mood.

Boud
Level 0

They try to kill ya everytime...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: November 20, 2012, 02:22:04 AM »

Cool bring on the video ! Title screen is looking good too
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #646 on: November 20, 2012, 05:51:37 AM »

All right, I've uploaded a new pre-alpha teaser video! This is a really quick one that shows off the last few features added to the game (global lighting, animated health bars, and weather effects). Notably, I added a new Global Lighting preset for use with daytime rain or snow ("Overcast"), which you can see used in the first map.

Here's the video:

In case you're wondering, here are the Conditions I used in each of these maps to create the lighting and weather effects shown in the video:

--in Winter Ruins:

Code:
  <Condition>Global Lighting,Overcast</Condition>
  <Condition>Weather,Snow</Condition>

--in Stonebridge:

Code:
  <Condition>Global Lighting,Night</Condition>
  <Condition>Weather,Rain</Condition>

--in River of Fire:

Code:
  <Condition>Global Lighting,LavaLight</Condition>

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #647 on: November 20, 2012, 06:13:50 AM »

Yay, weather.

Can be used for things like in my last post too, no?

Smokescreen & firebits?

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #648 on: November 20, 2012, 06:20:37 AM »

checking back, it's nice to see all the progress, looks good so far. what % of the game would you say is done? i'm not really interested in the multiplayer aspect myself, but i like the idea of a new single player campaign, as long as it's of the length/quality of your other games in this genre

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: November 20, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »

Can be used for things like in my last post too, no?

Smokescreen & firebits?

I've been thinking about how to add mist without incurring a lot of slowdown; I haven't made up my mind about the method just yet. I might just use the lighting system for that.

Raining fire should be pretty easy to add, I think.

i like the idea of a new single player campaign, as long as it's of the length/quality of your other games in this genre

The single player campaign will be quality, but it will structured differently than the Telepath RPGs. (Think of a linear Fire Emblem campaign.) As long as you're there for the story and the combat, I think you'll be happy with it.

I should also add that the game has a map editor and supports custom single player campaigns, so it's likely that we'll see people coming up with additional campaigns post-release.

what % of the game would you say is done?

Hm. I suppose I could bump that meter up to 40%. I still haven't coded internet multiplayer (I've been focused on stuff I can easily demo at shows like Indiecade and PAX), and there's still a lot of content to add: UI graphics, animations, character portraits, sound effects, music, and the majority of the single player campaign. It's coming along, though--the List of Stuff To Add gets smaller every week...

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: November 20, 2012, 07:46:34 AM »

Maybe you could also add cloud "shadows" that move across the ground? I think that would make the environments come alive a bit more and seem less static.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »

I dunno about that. That's sort of like mist: for performance reasons, I prefer to avoid effects that are going to require alpha layers covering large swathes of the battlefield. If I'm going to make the battlefields more dynamic, I'd rather do something like add randomized bird flyover animations (or maybe fireflies for night levels).

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: November 20, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »

True, a cloud effect like that would almost require a screenwide alpha layer that could easily be a big hit on performance. Birds flying around would be neat.

Laserbrain Studios
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: November 20, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »

It seems like the AI is pretty robust from the videos, I'd love to hear how you approached the AI.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: November 20, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »

is flash really so slow that that would slow it down? in game maker i have dozens of alpha layers (okay not dozens, but at least *a* dozen) for clouds and other things and don't notice much slowdown due to them. i thought GM was slower than flash?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: November 20, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »

On new machines it probably doesn't do much, but if I add too many large alpha layers to the game I'm currently working on (or just a single full screen alpha layer), I get serious performance hits on a 4 year old laptop with only an integrated GPU. And that's just OpenGL. I imagine both Flash and GM would be hit even harder.

Laserbrain Studios
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: November 20, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »

wouldn't the solution then be to make the clouds optional? that way slower computers can turn them off if they are having problems. that's what i do in my game -- i don't really like the idea of sacrificing visuals for most players (who'd be able to run it fine) for the sake of those still using 4 year old laptops with integrated video (which probably make up less than 5% of the people playing games), particularly because it's so easy to put things like that in the options menu

as an aside here's my current game without and with the cloud layer:

http://i.imgur.com/T1uQ8.png
http://i.imgur.com/J1uuE.png

i think it adds a lot, so i'd recommend at least trying to add one to see how you like it
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:59:42 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: November 20, 2012, 03:18:33 PM »

Sure, if Craig wants that in the options and likes the idea in general. It's up to him of course. I know that some devs don't like having visual stuff like that as optional, though, as they don't like the idea of some players having a "poorer" visual experience.

Your screenshots are a good example of how much it adds. And that's just static images. Does the cloud layer also move in SD?

Laserbrain Studios
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: November 20, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »

For performance, it all depends on what setup he's using. In something like flixel, adding full-screen semi-transparent post-effects - even ones with alpha, do take away a bit from performance, but are generally much faster if they're composited directly onto the framebuffer than if you draw them as a separate layer using the display list.

So if Craig's rending directly to a single BitmapData that acts as his framebuffer, it might be possible without too much of a penalty. Especially if you can get away with using copyPixels() rather than draw()

Nostrils!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

Sure, if Craig wants that in the options and likes the idea in general. It's up to him of course. I know that some devs don't like having visual stuff like that as optional, though, as they don't like the idea of some players having a "poorer" visual experience.

Your screenshots are a good example of how much it adds. And that's just static images. Does the cloud layer also move in SD?

it moves, slowly (although that depends on the room, windy areas have them moving faster). its alpha value also is usually lighter than in that pic (i was doing some testing on clouds and had it set darker at that point)

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic