Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:43:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTelepath Tactics (Releasing in April 2015!)
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41
Print
Author Topic: Telepath Tactics (Releasing in April 2015!)  (Read 113982 times)
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 02, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »

Nice characters and backstories! I don't know much about funding frequency over time, but you've gotten about a fifth of your goal, which sounds pretty good to me.
Will you be keeping the splash art? Imo it doesn't stand out/advertise the game enough.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #681 on: December 02, 2012, 09:57:10 PM »

New in the world of Telepath Tactics:

Telepath Tactics Kickstarter Update #4 is up, providing an introduction to the world of modding. We learn the basics of how to make your own single player campaign, and in the process, we learn a bit about the map editor, learn how to mod in new characters and character classes, and learn how to string together maps.

Have a look: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics/posts/360728

Meanwhile, I am very very close to launching a public demo for the game. Exciting things are afoot!

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: December 03, 2012, 05:48:41 AM »

I'm posting of this on GAF but I guess it's not getting too much interest yet, sadly.

Keep it up though, updates are integral to getting said interest Smiley

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: December 03, 2012, 06:39:13 AM »

Updates!

Telepath Tactics is now on Steam Greenlight--please take a moment and give it a Yes vote!

Telepath Tactics now has has a short public demo--grab those here:

Windows

Mac / Linux

Intravenous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 03, 2012, 07:39:05 AM »

I really like the concept for this game. I remember playing FF Tactics back in the day and thinking it was one of those games that's so simple but at the same time utterly compelling. It also wasn't long enough.

I'm sure a multiplayer version of that general gameplay mechanic could be really great and give endless replayability.

I wish you the best of luck.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #685 on: December 03, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: December 03, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »

Might want to build the demos as a captive runtime AIR install, vs requiring people to have the AIR runtime installed on their system. Anyways good luck.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #687 on: December 03, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »

Thanks for the tip; I'll look into that.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #688 on: December 04, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

The Greenlight page is going surprisingly well so far; since I posted it yesterday, it's already "14% of the way to making the top 100 list." Pretty neat!

The comments I've been getting there are great, too. Tons of enthusiasm, and a much lower ratio of bitching-about-the-graphics to compliments than I ever could have imagined. This is currently my favorite comment:

Instant thumbs up and favorite. I love turn based tactics, and this looks like an absolute gem. Probably the best greenlight game I've seen so far.

So that's pretty awesome.

In the meanwhile, I've been dutifully listening to the feedback I've received on the demo. So far, the number one complaint seems to be the very angular water/dirt and water/grass transitions; I'm going to see if I can get some more natural-looking, less blocky versions of these transitions made.

Meanwhile, I'm working on some useability improvements based on feedback I've received:

(1) making it so a Delay Maneuvers condition has the computer skip its turn entirely rather than shuffling through each of its characters and doing nothing with each;

(2) adding settings for 2x walk speed and near-instantaneous walk speed for character movement occurring during a CPU player's turn;

(3) making it so double-clicking the ground deselects the currently selected character.

More to come!

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #689 on: December 04, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »

I've updated the Telepath Tactics alpha demos! They now have the following requested features:

- the second battle is rebalanced to be more challenging;
- items are now stored in the game's destructible barrels;
- you now have the option to set character walk speed to Normal, Double or Instant in the options menu (F1); and
- the computer no longer cycles through every character when ending its turn without moving.

Get the Telepath Tactics alpha demos here!

WINDOWS DEMO

MAC / LINUX DEMO (you'll need AIR to install the Mac / Linux one; Linux users can nab AIR here)

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #690 on: December 07, 2012, 07:58:19 AM »

The Kickstarter is coming along, albeit in fits and starts; we're now past 400 backers and past $7,000 raised--which is to say, we're about 28% funded with 3 weeks to go, or slightly ahead of the curve.

Meanwhile, the news on Steam Greenlight is more unambiguously good. Four days after we launched on Greenlight, we're already 30% of the way to the Top 100, with upvotes consistently blowing away average upvotes for games in the Top 100! Here's a screencap I took last night, if you don't believe me:

(We launched shortly before midnight on Sunday, so that tiny green sliver on Sunday represents less than an hour, not a full day of voting.)

On the development front, I spent the last few nights fixing various bugs that I'd stumbled upon or had had reported to me, mostly involving swimming (though one involved characters that had been grayed out regaining their color upon being shoved). Most of the bugs are now dealt with, though a couple remain.

Additionally, race and gender are now distinct definable attributes for characters, each of which are now fed directly into the name generator. Gender may be defined as "Male", "Female" or "Either"--in the event of "Either", the game will select one, with a 50% chance of male and 50% of female.

The one thing I haven't done yet is rework the name generator to automatically match player-defined Race and Gender attributes with the XML tags in CharNames.xml--once I do that, players will be able to create their own races with their own unique race-and-gender-specific name tables.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: December 07, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »

I've added some new functionality to the dialog scripting system; two new Actions are in, PlaySound and PlayMusic. These do exactly what it sounds like they do. Wink

Notably, the addition of PlaySound means that it is now possible to mod in voice-overs for character dialog. I'm not going to have voice acting for the main campaign, but anyone that wants to record their own can plop 'em in without much trouble. (And of course, anyone creating their own campaign can add voice-over dialog to that as well!)

Intravenous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 07, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »

Hey it's cool you posted those stats from greenlight. I posted my game Neon up to Greenlight very late on Saturday (so a day before you) and I had no idea if I was really doing well or not.

The biggest difference between our two games is when I went live on Greenlight it was the first time anyone had heard of my game. I can see by your graph that you had a massive burst of activity at the start from your fanbase.

I'm at 31% at the moment, so you are beating me because I had a head start by a day. My graph is more like your Thursday but the same everyday. From the first day to today I'm getting between 200% and 250% of the average votes for games in the top 100.

I'm letting you know so you have something to compare against. I was searching like mad the other night to see if anyone else had posted up their author stats to try and get some bearing on how I was doing.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: December 10, 2012, 05:47:29 AM »

A few improvements, folks! Beyond instituting a small mountain of bug fixes based on reports from folks playing the demo, I've added a couple of features I'd long been itching to get into the game:

• You can now give characters suicide attacks that aren't in their normal attack arsenal. So, for instance: you can create a class of character that explodes upon death, even if Explode isn't normally a selectable attack for them. Pretty cool, I think.
  • Even cooler than that, however, I finally sat down and got explosion chains working.

I've also made item drop behavior better: dropped items now land on the same space as the character dropping them. (If there is already an item sack there, they are added directly to that item sack instead.)

Intravenous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 10, 2012, 12:13:35 PM »

Have you seen your votes/visitors fall off a cliff yet?

For the first six day's I was getting 2000 visitors a day and then it very suddenly nose dived along with the votes obviously.

It's difficult to justifiably rustle up more interest anywhere without something new to show. I'm interested in comparing experiences with Greenlight considering we both added our games at about the same time and had about equal initial interest and votes.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #695 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:52 PM »

Whoa! Yeah, it looks like that just happened today. Huh. I wonder why that is? Both of our games are still on the first page of "Most Recent." Shrug Well, whatever. I guess I'll just have to start pushing Greenlight a little more actively.

Speaking of which: if you haven't yet, please go ahead and upvote Telepath Tactics on Greenlight! Wink

All right, on to substantive stuff! I just implemented an undo stack, meaning that you can undo multiple moves--as many moves as you have characters that have moved, theoretically, though the undo stack will clear if you do anything like attack or heal. I still have a few changes to make to it, but it's currently functional and pretty darn cool.

I've also laid some preliminary groundwork for a Rally function, where the computer will auto-move all of your characters toward a point you specify. (I imagine this will be useful for speeding up positioning during turns where the enemy isn't anywhere near you.)

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #696 on: December 10, 2012, 08:44:25 PM »

All right--the undo stack is complete! It correctly undoes all movement, in order, including use of movement abilities like Leap and Shadowport. It's pretty awesome.

(As before, though, you can't undo past a non-movement event like attacking, grabbing an item, healing, revealing fog of war, etc.)

Meanwhile, I recorded a more up-to-date multiplayer video than the one from July. In it, I explain the wide variety of customization options available in the game, then play a 2-vs.-2 local multiplayer match with one CPU ally against two CPU enemies The video is currently rendering; I'll have it uploaded tomorrow. Smiley

Next on the agenda will be fixing an issue where multiple characters with death monologues are killed in one AOE attack; once that's sorted, I'll be finishing up the Rally function.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: December 12, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

The update is up! Smiley

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426761469/telepath-tactics/posts/367674

Society
Level 0

बाहरी व्यक्ति

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 14, 2012, 01:16:22 AM »

Have any questions about multiplayer? Ask me in the comments below!

Accidentally not a baker (happens), so posting here: is there already any plans set for units field deployment system ? Mentalist in front row rocks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 01:57:50 AM by Society » Logged

I are many. I are strong. I are Society.
Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #699 on: December 14, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »

Accidentally not a baker (happens)

Luckily, that's an accident you can fix. Wink

There are no set plans for how to handle unit deployment yet.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 41
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic