Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:44:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWarlock Bentspine - Finished game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Warlock Bentspine - Finished game  (Read 11908 times)
Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:19:38 AM »

Warlock Bentspine

It is the year 2042 AD. The world has gone down the pooper and now, Stinker City, one of the last few cities still standing is about to crumble in the hands of the Jihad Gang, a group of four super criminals set loose upon the city. You are Jacob Bentspine, better known as Warlock, the guardian of Stinker City. It's your job to hunt down and apprehend these criminals.

Good luck.

So the basic rundown here:

It's a platformer with similarities with games like mega man and metroid. The gimmick here is that in each stage you are given two routes you can go through to reach the boss of that stage. Both routes consist of 10 different rooms which appear in randomized order.

You can go through any stage you want in any order, there is no limitation there, except for the final stage which is locked until all other stages are completed.

After you defeat a boss you will unlock a new weapon. Weapons do not require any special power to be used, rather they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Weapons:

Fireball - The basic weapon. It automatically charges up when you don't use it for a few seconds. This charged shot does double the normal damage and goes a tiny bit further.

Boomerang - A short range weapon which deals the most damage out of all the weapons, hard to operate but effective against bosses for instance.

Bubblegun - A long range weapon which moves in a wave like pattern and goes through enemies and walls. It can hit the same enemy multiple times.

Shieldgun - A protective weapon which blocks off all normal enemy projectiles and can be tossed at enemies.

All weapons can be fired in the basic four directions.

Controls:

Z - Shoot
X - Jump, doublejump
C - Dash

A - Toggle previous
S - Toggle next

Arrow keys - Movement, aiming

F4 - Toggle fullscreen/windowed

Screens and vids

Download

And heres where you can get it from, I do hope I didn't forget any files from the package:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4809065/Warlock%20Bentspine.rar

Thanks a bunch

Phlogiston made the musics
FrankieSmileShow made the boss portraits

Poppenkast community gave some good feedback

I think that's all I have. Thanks. Hope you like it and all that shit.
Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:43 AM »

I'm currently updating the package so don't be alarmed if the download doesn't work for the next couple of minutes.

This update includes improved music files and some bug fixes as well as the editable for the game.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:51:03 PM »

This is really fun. Music and graphics are very good.

The only thing about it, is that most of the game feels like filler. The levels are really straightforward and if you die you are just sent back to the start of whatever level you die on with no consequence. So I basically just rushed each level, not really caring how sloppy I was playing because I actually get rewarded if I die (replenished health). It would have been better if every three levels it saved a checkpoint instead of every level. That would at least force me to care about doing better.

What do the 3 numbers represent? Changing them seems to do something with the 3 numbers on each level but I have no clue what. nvm figured it out
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:59:43 PM by allen » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »

Warlock Bentspine - Playthrough by Ortoslon

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »

Wow how did I miss this thread? I love this art style.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »

This game rocks socks!!! The only thing missing is gamepad support Hand Joystick.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »

Possible bug.  If you kill the first boss right as he lands on you and kills you, you just have to wait to get the powerup and win anyways.

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 01:47:02 AM »

No pause button!  Hand Thumbs Down Left Angry Hand Thumbs Down Right

EDIT: Never mind the rest, I was playing the wrong version Smiley
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:56:22 AM by Phasma Felis » Logged
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:51:49 AM »

I played through almost all of the game, but the final boss is one tough duck.

Also, heres a video of the soundtracks' cover being drawn:

There are 10 level sections to go through before the bosses I think, maybe it should have been 5 or 6 instead. The levels have a lot of variety though, so its not like they're individually boring, there was just too many of them before the boss.
With shorter levels, maybe it would have been possible to make you restart the whole level when you die, instead of just the room you're in...? With 10 levels it would be way too hard, but with 5, it doesn't sound too bad. It certainly would make the game harder of course.

Kicks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »

I beat the sewer boss and the chicken boss very easily with the boomerang. I just jumped into the sewage and unloaded on him.
I think the weapon types are well designed, but the boomerang is probably too strong.
Sweet game though! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Boss names were super cool.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 05:49:52 PM »

The game is good, really reminds me of Megaman games, but the one complaint I have is about the controls. Why is shoot Z instead of C? Wouldn't it make sense that the button you use most would be triggered by your index finger? My ring finger is really starting to hurt...

*EDIT* Okay, I REALLY like the game despite the controls.  Hand Any Key Smiley Hand Joystick

On a completely separate note, I found a  bug in which you can actually walk on the ceiling ala Super Mario Bros 1. And if you go to the end, you die. Sad  Well fall through the floor and can play in the walls for a little while.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:11:57 PM by KM » Logged

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »

I really like the character designs! I guess the difficulty was just right (compared to Poyo or Banana Nababa), although bosses 2 & 3 were a piece of caek each.

Some criticism if I may:
- The sfx are a bit repetitive bordering on annoying.
- I didn't see the point in most weapons. I used the boomerang against the chicken, but that was it.
- I've never seen the need to use dash. When I tried (again, chicken boss), it didn't take me far enough from harm's way.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:41:18 AM »

Random blurbs -- spent the night writing reviews, tired as hell.  Tired

*Love your art.
*Cool how your alternate weapons have infinite ammo, unlike Mega Man I can experiment and use them outside of boss battles.
*These controls made me grab Xpadder for this laptop
*dash seems unnecessary until the final boss. subsequently, it raises the difficulty of the encounter a lot.
*also, I exploited the final boss by sticking to the very left-hand corner.
*The double jump isn't that useful, but has saved me on a handful of occasions, it's interesting at least to have the second jump a minor hop instead of a complete leap.
*boomerang felt like a melee weapon -- any nod to Zero is duly appreciated
*The V^6-esque restarting sort of cheapened the experience for me. I realize that you start out with double health on entering a level, I guess I'll try beating them without dying.
*I didn't realize the fireball could shoot vertically until I was in the level with the ghost pots.
*Any three digit numbers that are secrets/cheats/etc?
*Ultimately I enjoyed this, when I'm coherent I'll give it a write-up.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 10:51:13 AM »

Yeah, that's one thing I never liked about the Megaman series is that you really couldn't use the power ups in the level because you didn't know what boss was weak against what and didn't want to waste it. Games like MMX4 being the exception if you're playing as Zero. His moves were just plain awesome and infinite in that game.

I also agree having limited lives would be a pro towards the difficulty of the game. Or at least if you started further back when you died giving you a reason to really want to stay alive instead of killing yourself just to get more life. Or I guess at least a easy/hard mode for a choice?

But yeah, this game is pretty damn awesome as is. Great work on it.  Gentleman

Sequel?

Lazrool
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »

The controls can be customized to an extent, just check out the readme and control files.

Also will probably make a sequel someday, but as for this game I don't think I'll make any changes until there are bugs that make the game unplayable.
ADDatWork23
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 02:06:54 PM »

Looks like a cool game, any chance a MAC or browser version?  Pleeease?  Beg
Android-Music
Level 0

Musician, That's all.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »

I guess it's possible to port the game to flash with help of flixel.

http://georgedziov.com/
Try my new metal pack - http://gameprefabs.com/products/show/399
Game Developers O.C. - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/144438572289633/
deathtotheweird
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »

of course it's possible but it's not like it's easy. not like there's a button in game maker that says "port to flixel"

game maker for mac was released, but I hear it's purpose wasn't made for cross-platform play as much as it made for mac users able to maker their own stuff with it. Even if Lazrool had a mac, it would seem to be a waste of time that he could be spent making other games.

Being a member of a gaming community, I wonder why some folks still don't have a windows partition on their mac.
Android-Music
Level 0

Musician, That's all.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 12:41:29 AM »

of course it's possible but it's not like it's easy. not like there's a button in game maker that says "port to flixel"

game maker for mac was released, but I hear it's purpose wasn't made for cross-platform play as much as it made for mac users able to maker their own stuff with it. Even if Lazrool had a mac, it would seem to be a waste of time that he could be spent making other games.

Being a member of a gaming community, I wonder why some folks still don't have a windows partition on their mac.
No one said it's easy but sometimes it's worth to try plus it's a good opportunity to earn some cash from sponsorship and ads, why not? And why do all people must have a windows partition on their mac? Maybe they don't like windows at all? Think wider friend!  Undecided

http://georgedziov.com/
Try my new metal pack - http://gameprefabs.com/products/show/399
Game Developers O.C. - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/144438572289633/
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »

No one said it's easy but sometimes it's worth to try plus it's a good opportunity to earn some cash from sponsorship and ads, why not? And why do all people must have a windows partition on their mac? Maybe they don't like windows at all? Think wider friend!  Undecided

The dude just made a game and gave it to you for free. In light of this, I think it's a little selfish to ask him to go to the trouble of reengineering it so that you can enjoy it rather than you going to the trouble to install something you "don't like at all".

Also, you're in TIGSource, friend. By bringing money into this, you've just opened a huge can of worms. Wink
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic