Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:54:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeCoding a Single player vs Multiplayer game
Poll
Question: Which do you implement?
Multiplayer - 4 (26.7%)
Singleplayer - 11 (73.3%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Coding a Single player vs Multiplayer game  (Read 4699 times)
Guard
Level 0

Java's cool.

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »

OK, here's a fun thing to do while jstckr isn't being a noob you're not programming.

Give me 1 good reason why creating a game in single player is good 1 bad reason why it isn't.

and

Give me 1 good reason why creating a game in MULTI player is good 1 bad reason why it isn't.

Basically it's just spewing out cons and pros of each. Let's see what everyone thinks. Me first.

Single player

Pros
- No need to worry about lagtime

Cons
- Alone by yourself and doing something can be boring

Multi player

Pros
- Team work can be fun

Cons
- It's A LOT harder to code and deal with server/client, etc.

Your turn.

Programming since Sept 2009
Web Developing since 2006
Almost
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 07:18:38 PM »

SP
play anytime, no need for internet or others
often needs AI for opponents

MP
fun to play with friends / beat real people
online multiplayer needs a fanbase or nobody to play with

A game of mine: Ten Second War
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »

Single player
Pros = Can tell a strong story knowing that your player has played previous sections (the player has played level #1, #2 and #3)
Cons = Need to create in depth game because the only fun that can be extracted is from your game mechanics or bugs

Multi player
Pros = Game play can be really shallow, since people always come up with wacky ways to do things (either by accident, design or due to bugs)
Cons = Dealing with people who try to cheat, exploit or hack your game (try to find vulnerabilities which compromise your player's computer)

I like turtles.
Ushi-kun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:14:01 PM »

I guess one can argue that these points can be either pros/cons for both, but:

Single-player
- Shorter Dev Cycle, but shorter overall lifespan
Multi-player
- Longer Dev Cycle, and longer overall lifespan

One could argue that single-player games also continue their lifespan using sequels, but considering the lifespan of popular online games, and the huge lifespan of most of the popular non-video games that are multi-player (go,mahjong,card games,board games,etc), I'd think multiplayer has the longer replayability.

Of course, this is all talk about when you nail all the right stuff with your game, which is the dreadfully hard part : p
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:10:38 AM »

Wait, are we talking about local or online multiplayer? I'm a big fan of local multiplayer, co-op or vs, as it turns what is usually a solitary pastime into a social one. Developing local multiplay is often easier too, as there isn't usually any complicated AI to code.

Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:26:45 AM »

Single and multi -player are not mutually exclusive, you can have both.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 05:01:41 AM »

Single:
+ Single player games can be extremely rewarding to complete.
- (I can't think of one)

Multi:
+ Games with multiplayer usually have more lasting interest than those with only singleplayer.
- A complete bitch to code.

valkrin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »

This.

In fact, multiplayer can augment the single player experience. Please look at the multiplayer features of a game like Demon's Souls. Also, the difficulty of implementing multiplayer is over-exaggerated. There are many styles of multiplayer, some of them are rather simple to implement, for example a turn-based multiplayer game is relatively straight forward. On the other hand if you plan on making an MMOG which seems like the fashionable thing these days, then yes, expect your development times to increase by several magnitudes. 
Dataflashsabot
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »

I hate to derail, but: I want to make a multiplayer game. Don't get me wrong, I know how hard it is. I almost never finish my single-player projects. I just want to make something with online multiplayer, for the fun and challenge. Unfortunately, I just can't figure out how to begin. So, can someone suggest to me: What's the easiest way to make, say, online Pong?
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:23 PM »

1. Make Pong, if you haven't already.
2. Learn some basics about setting up multiplayer games. You'll need to have server and client protocols. Simple chat program sounds like a good start.

If you've got a language you like and know well, I'd use that. Otherwise, I heard Processing is good for prototyping.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 12:44:09 AM »

yeah. Most of the shit I try to make is single player because that's what's within my grasp, but if I had the know-how to do multiplayer stuff I would never ever ever exclude a singleplayer mode. Likewise, if I had the know-how to make multiplayer games, I would try to fit some multiplayer mode into any single player games I made (if it weren't absolutely absurd to do so, which I don't think it often is.)

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »

If you've got a language you like and know well, I'd use that. Otherwise, I heard Processing is good for prototyping.
It also has some built in networking features Hand Thumbs Up Left
basara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 06:31:56 AM »

When you make a single player game, by the time you are done you'll not be able to play it without knowing all about it. Which means you are making the game solely for other people to play, but not yourself.

I like to make multiplayer games because I'm selfish. I make games because I want to play them.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »

When you make a single player game, by the time you are done you'll not be able to play it without knowing all about it. Which means you are making the game solely for other people to play, but not yourself.

Unless you include a level editor or make it procedural.
valkrin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 07:01:16 PM »

I hate to derail, but: I want to make a multiplayer game. Don't get me wrong, I know how hard it is. I almost never finish my single-player projects. I just want to make something with online multiplayer, for the fun and challenge. Unfortunately, I just can't figure out how to begin. So, can someone suggest to me: What's the easiest way to make, say, online Pong?

I really don't think pong should be your first multiplayer game. Primarily because it isn't turn based and would require you to synchronize both clients. Synchronizing is difficult, and should be something you avoid in your first try at multiplayer.

Do a very simple turn based game like tic-tac-toe. Sounds boring yes, but it is easy and you should be successful at it with relatively few bumps. It will give you some positive feedback.

FYI, just pass strings over the network, don't bother with binary. Also, use TCP. You will need to pass the coordinates and the symbol "X" or "O". So something like "R1|C2|X", which would mean Row 1, Column 2, put X. The benefit of this is: 1. The message is fixed length, so you know how many bytes to read off the socket. 2. The message is human readable, you won't need to start decoding hex if you are debugging, and you won't have to deal with byte order when you get your data off the network. The network carries everything in big endian, and your box, most likely an x86 machine, uses little endian. That won't be a problem as long as you send chars/strings.

Best of luck. If you need some help, ping me, I might be able to spare a few cycles.

Reference material for you: http://gafferongames.com/networking-for-game-programmers/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:23:31 PM by valkrin » Logged
pixhead
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »

single player
+Wider range of genres to choose from
-Unless its a miny game it is expected to be hours long

multiplayer
+Can be short and still be super popular
-Try coding a multiplayer  dare you
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: