Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:23:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTeleglitch
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Teleglitch  (Read 25654 times)
neki
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2011, 04:04:22 AM »

I love the kinda 3d, 320x240 res look, it reminds me of games like syndicate wars, it's one of my favorite visual styles. I love the colors, the glitches, it looks like the game's going to be great. As far as bugs and control quirks, I'm sure it will get polished, the only thing that I have a problem with, and that's only my personal opinion, is the theme, in particular the zombies. Why not mutant dogs or human/insect hybrids?(i dunno whatever Shrug) The grimy look and feel makes it pretty scary, and zombies to me have become more of a joke or a cliche. I think something a little less worn out would add a whole new level of awesomeness. But that's my own feeling about that, I'm sure zombies have a lot of fans.
alphasmart
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2011, 04:09:25 PM »

Wow, this game is excellent!  It took a bit of getting used to due to lack of tutorial, but I really dig the aesthetics and gameplay.  A quick note, it seems levels 2 and 3 are virtually impossible - in level 2 you only have an ammo clip and a nailbox nearby, and a crate if you're lucky, but that only occasionally even had a bomb inside it, let alone a gun, so when you run into the giant zombie that inevitably comes into your path you feel a bit stuck.  Similar story in level 3.  Do you keep your weapons if you win the previous level?  Because otherwise it feels a bit unfair.  Fun as running away from hordes of enemies in the vain hope of finding a weapon is...
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »

Wow, this game is excellent!  It took a bit of getting used to due to lack of tutorial, but I really dig the aesthetics and gameplay.  A quick note, it seems levels 2 and 3 are virtually impossible - in level 2 you only have an ammo clip and a nailbox nearby, and a crate if you're lucky, but that only occasionally even had a bomb inside it, let alone a gun, so when you run into the giant zombie that inevitably comes into your path you feel a bit stuck.  Similar story in level 3.  Do you keep your weapons if you win the previous level?  Because otherwise it feels a bit unfair.  Fun as running away from hordes of enemies in the vain hope of finding a weapon is...

You keep your weapons, so start from level 1 an d play on. Also if you don't know already, C combines stuff, which is a super addictive mechanic IMO Smiley

I wonder how hard it would be to saveyour last inventory list from when you last attempted a level. So that way you could continue from where you left off in a given level. Saves like that would be a big bonus.

Nix
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »

This is a lot of fun! The shadows are a little off, but I'm sure you know that. Did anyone suggest adding a melee function? (Or is there one that I didn't figure out?) Once I ran out of ammo, I would have liked to be able to beat up the baddies anyway.
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 02:11:46 AM »

A melee attack would be great actually. Maybe it doesn't even cause damage, or very little damage, but just bumps back/stuns the dude, for those moments when you are running around looking for a gun or ammo and you just want to push the odd guy out the way.

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
Albert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2011, 07:09:05 AM »

Nice stuff, I'm on the 2nd level so far...
Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »

Any news? Just glimpsed the icon on my desktop and wondered how you Teleglitch was coming on.

Overpass
Devlog
A hot air balloon exploration game.
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2012, 01:40:59 AM »

i love your game!

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »

Weird that you bump this thread now, because I actually have some news.

Today I uploaded the long overdue blog, go to www.teleglitch.com . As this is the first real webpage we've created, i'm really interested in any feedback about it.

As for the game itself,
Telegiltch itself hasn't progressed that well in the past months, I've mostly been fixing random bugs and polishing. The statistics system is now working and there are new optional distortion effects for thosewho have a recent GPU. I've also messed around with gamepad support, but I'm not sure if it will be in the next release. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that it's impossible to aim with this thing.

There's some more info in the blog to motivate you to check it out.

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »

Landing page is spartan. Perhaps too spartan. A one line description of what Teleglitch is would suffice.

Readability is fine. Nothing's broken.

Quick front end web development tips:
-Run your site through an auditing tool like Chrome's built in tool or YSlow. It'll give you some basic things you could easily do to make your site served faster.
-Slightly more advanced, but your CSS file size can be lowered by taking out all unnecessary white space. Do this as part of a build process (there automated tools that can do this for you).

Also, I played the game and liked controlling the little guy. I hate programs that force fullscreen, especially without warning.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »

I like the site design. Very minimal and lo-res. It matches the game well. I wasn't sure about how the trailer was borderless, but it looks better when playing so that has my vote now.

I'm on board with adding a one-sentence description of the game like "Retro, top-down manshoot" or something that's, you know, better then that Tongue

Good luck with your ongoing work. I'm eager for the next release :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:07:20 PM by AaronLee » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2012, 08:08:11 PM »

Started level 1 and immediately after the 'crazy intro color effect' thing, it crashed with a failed assert.

Levels 2-4 seemed to start ok, so I think it's just that one level.  If I were you I'd get rid of or tone down that effect anyway, it's really annoying and only gets worse when you have to sit through it every time.

As for actually playing it, I couldn't find a single weapon in any of the levels and as soon as I ran into any enemies I was fucked.  Don't know if this is all just a bug in the version I downloaded or if the weapons are hidden somewhere, or you have to press some wierd combination of keys to actually use them.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 01:38:13 PM »

Any possibility of being able to use wasd for menu navigation in the future?

As for actually playing it, I couldn't find a single weapon in any of the levels and as soon as I ran into any enemies I was fucked.  Don't know if this is all just a bug in the version I downloaded or if the weapons are hidden somewhere, or you have to press some wierd combination of keys to actually use them.

Far as I can tell only level one has a weapon immediately available.  Apparently the second through fourth levels are a bit more difficult and you really have to focus on surviving the swarms until you can find a weapon.  A white circle will flash around anything you can pick up and white brackets around containers.  Oddly [space] is pickup for items on the floor, whereas [space] is open for containers and [left-click] gets the items out of the open container.

Whoops, just noticed the controls are now in the OP.  Nevermind.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:45:33 PM by oyog » Logged
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 02:19:03 PM »

I really like the look of the game and the core mechanics/feel, but I feel like the game is more of a tech demo than anything. Might be better if there was a bit more structure and the difficulty was ramped up slowly. I felt like I had too many options in terms of direction and got lost easily.

That being said, I can see how this would appeal to players looking for a "hardcore" experience. Could just be it isn't my cup of tea.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 04:39:17 PM »

Any possibility of being able to use wasd for menu navigation in the future?
it makes sense and it's easy to do, so i'll add it.

it crashed with a failed assert.
this is bad, it isn't even related to the "crazy color intro effect". i vaguely remember that i tried to fix it, but I'm not sure if I really did it

If I were you I'd get rid of or tone down that effect anyway, it's really annoying and only gets worse when you have to sit through it every time.
I'd like to keep it as intense as it is, but I agree that it's way too long.

I really like the look of the game and the core mechanics/feel, but I feel like the game is more of a tech demo than anything. Might be better if there was a bit more structure and the difficulty was ramped up slowly. I felt like I had too many options in terms of direction and got lost easily.

That being said, I can see how this would appeal to players looking for a "hardcore" experience. Could just be it isn't my cup of tea.
i hope to fix the disorientation problem with new map. weirdly rotated minimap isn't really helping, even if you are hardcore.
I'm not sure what to do about the wonky difficulty curve, imo a certain amount of unpredictability is what makes a game good.

levels 2-4 have a couple of awesome weapons scattered around the map, but none at the start.so you have to be really good or lucky to get themr.
long term plan is to enable starting at every third level after completing a specific task there.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2012, 05:44:23 AM »

bumping again, because UPDATE:

(Almost) full changelog:
-re-added stabbing
-rockets
-detectors that help you with certain pipes
-new map (press tab)
-configurable keybindings
-stats screen
-correct handling of different aspect ratios
-working options menu
-windowed mode
-failed assert errors should be fixed now

Getting into the game should be much more easier now. Also, do you think that stabbing is overpowered? What about rockets, did you even get them?
I'm also interested if per pixel distortion works for you (options->distortion, needs the game to restart)
If not, what kind of graphics processor do you have?
Download: http://bit.ly/Ar29tw

ortoslon
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »

pixel distortion works here
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »

Stabbing does not work against big guys. Or rocks.

Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »

Thats a pretty cool game.
Love the graphical style.
The weapons feels interesting.
Love the aim mechanic.

Only thing that hit me as a improvement is to organize the item list, as it can be a bit hard to get to the item you want in the middle of a fight.
My suggestion would be to just automatically rearrange the list into groups, like Weapons, Medkits & Items.
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »

right now there are shortcut keys for that. 1-4 selects different weapons, m selects medkits and g selects bombs.

nice video, it always makes happy when someone records their play. it also helps a lot to understand how the people are playing it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic